May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Utah Shotgunner, mark, AGS, Kip, Lloyd3), 317 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,529
Posts545,869
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I edited DAM16SXS pictures:

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 05/21/13 10:05 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mike - much easier now to see the curvature of the billet imperfection lines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting...they show well!

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found a glossary of forgings at https://www.forging.org/glossary-forging-terms

Flow lines — Patterns in a forging resulting from the elongation of nonhomogeneous constituents and the grain structure of the material in the direction of working during forging; usually revealed by macroetching. See also Grain Flow.

I think today "nonhomogenous" means "dirty" metal. Modern chromoly alloys and specialty steels are often vacuum-arc-electro melt and often vacuum-arc-electro re-melt (more than one melt, often with a trimming of the ends of the ingots to remove impurities prior to remelt), which efficiently homogenizes any intended constituents and removes unintended constituents/impurites.

Some reference info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_arc_remelting

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/21/13 03:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I agree with youabout today's metals. I think the definitions you gave would equally apply to a situation of unequal carbon content of plain carbon steel made as described above. The case on the rods would be of higher carbon content than the core. Unless literally melted, this difference in carbon content would be retained during the forging process. So, what we are seeing is sort of a steel-steel damascus of very simple pattern. Had the rods been twisted and rolled out per pattern welded barrels we would see a much more complex pattern of these lines.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I'm not mistaken, these actions were made of wrought iron. A thin layer of carbon may have been added by case hardening, but I don't believe wrought iron had any carbon in it to make it a steel. I believe wrought has a stringy pattern just on its own.

I think the finer the lines that show, chances are the more the wrought was forged out to reduce the effect those lines may have on the integrity of the final part. I suspect the difference in appearance is from components other than carbon. Chances are, forging different carbon content steels together ends up evening the carbon content between the two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just had a look at the bottom of the action of a Holloway SLE Pigeon (not a best work gun, but no slouch either) of 1890ish vintage. I has these "stripes" clearly visible and easily mistaken for scratches. The look I took included a 2X to 12X folding pocket glass made it clear that they are not scratches of cracks. A 30X pocket microscope was ver interesting. Along the "stripes I found several areas of both black and white inclusion; very narrow/thin bands of inclusion, but definitely inclusion of something not steel, things that would qualify for Chuck's dirty steel.

I'll look at a few more guns and see if I get similar findings. Photos --- mmmm, I dunnno, we will see. Most interesting!!

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd
Following the patenting of the Bessemer process in the U.K. in 1856 which resulted in low cost conversion of pig iron into steel.Bessemer steel rapidly became the prime source for steel as used in gun barrels, locomotive rail, gun body actions etc.
The Bessemer process was licenced into the U.S.A.by the early 1860,s.
The steel used in both American and British gun body actions during this era would have been forged from billets of steel made by the Bessemer process. Prior to improvements to the Bessemer process the refining of the steel was not always perfect.This is the reason we some times see the forging lines in the action of both British and American guns made in the 1860-1900 time frame.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 05/28/13 11:28 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
If I'm not mistaken, these actions were made of wrought iron. A thin layer of carbon may have been added by case hardening, but I don't believe wrought iron had any carbon in it to make it a steel. I believe wrought has a stringy pattern just on its own.

I think the finer the lines that show, chances are the more the wrought was forged out to reduce the effect those lines may have on the integrity of the final part. I suspect the difference in appearance is from components other than carbon. Chances are, forging different carbon content steels together ends up evening the carbon content between the two.

Craig,
Wrought iron is not a material that is typically compatible with forging as it can have a tendency to crack when hot forged. It was as close to pure iron as was available at the time (.10-.25%). I think what we're looking at with these actions is early Bessemer steel with contaminants or constituents that weren't homogenized.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes I take for granted the knowledge and scholarship that the members of this board can bring to bear on a technical topic. Thanks to all of you who contribute to such discussions as this one.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.