March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi drew.
I do enjoy seeing things people produce for them selves and cutting out the expensive manufacturer and the middle man. I hope you do not mind me pointing out one small detail that I think you should be aware of which is the upper arm Brass stop. Brass and Steel do not make good bed fellows and especially where the slightly acidic environment of gun bores are concerned especially if the bore is not Chrome plated. To put it in a nut shell standard steel barrels and microscopic brass particles that could possibly be left in the bore after using your gauge can sometimes lead to some electrolytic action taking place encouraging rust spotting, which can be more easily produced in mix metal barrels i.e. Damascus and twist. This is not a problem with bore cleaning brushes because they are made of the less reactive bronze. So I think that replacing the stop with one made out of Steel or Bronze would be a wise move.

Damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Damascus. Is this not a problem with brass shell heads? And what could this fellow have been thinking!?! shocked

Last edited by Drew Hause; 05/20/13 10:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is another Make it at Home. Kinda lacking in the professional
area,but it works.
[img:left][/img]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Stallones

It is always a good thing to keep reminding your self, “professionals built and sailed the Titanic Noah was a complete amateur”.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew I can not speak for what others are thinking, though if the Brazing rod used was a Copper/Silver or Copper/Nickel Alloy I could see no problem in using it for joining steel/Iron. But to repair a gun barrel like that it is sort of buying your self a ticket to oblivion or a hospital emergency room from a roulette table. And if you want to use a brass stop that is also fine though I would decline its use in a gun of mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, I do like to have a helper to hold the gun or barrels down. Please explain to me how you measure your guns with your gauge without holding the gun down. As we say in the USA, "Give me a break." The Manson gauge, used the way I have explained many times on this forum, is a great tool and cheap. And also, in the USA, we don't respect British proof and want to know the measurements for more than nine inches of our barrels. I am not disrespecting your effort or your gauge, I just don't appreciate your disrespecting my gauge without knowing anything about it or its proper use. The "hanging" method is obsolete, but you and some other posters apparently don't know that.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore

You seem to be behaving like a person who has great vested interest in proving only your gauge is the correct one to the point of disrespecting other forum users (your choice of words) by suggesting that they do not know how your gauge functions. I am sure they do! Some how you seem to have this idea that I, and I am only going to use myself in this case and not speak for others that I am concerned in the slightest that the US does not respect Brit proof it is your house and you live in it as you please.
Over the Brit proof distance of nine inches you seem to want to talk for the shooting population of the US which I feel is extremely brave or foolhardy putting words into other people’s mouths.
Holding the gun down!!! There are six photographs on page three of the posting the answer to that is quite obvious isn’t it?
Your statement “the hanging method is obsolete” I can only wonder at such an incredulous statement on your part.

Hi all

Well I see my gauge design did spark off some conversation.
Bilious you think it is a “Manson Gauge” now I wonder how that can be because of the following.

1 My gauge is designed to work in the horizontal suspended position only.
2 The gauge weighs approximately 20 ounces.
3 Only one adjustment needed after assembly. You have to be constantly adjusting a Manson gauge from barrel to barrel.
4 It is 13˝ inches long
5 It is 4 ˝ inches wide.
6 It will fit in our pocket.
7 It will only measure accurately 9 inches from the breach face
8 It is not always necessary to break the gun down and remove the barrels for measuring.

Now as the Manson gauge comes in a convenient “Large” wooden box which would cost more than my gauge takes to make. And of course it works in the vertical position only. Also the gauge arm for the smaller bores is a fixture to the gauge. It also weighs a considerable amount more and not all that convenient for taking and using at gun sales or auctions. And let’s be honest it does not slip conveniently in to your coat pocket now does it. Also you have to break the gun down to measure the barrels with a Manson. You may like to try that at some time with a $11307 value gun with the owner watching you because they always think you are going to drop them!!!!!!!!!!
And Bilious to quote your good self “It only costs $30 out the door” To make!
Finally I would like to say that accurate measuring tools have been made since that nice French man William Gascogne invented the Micrometer so in many ways test gauges look and work on very similar lines, my gauge is just a different take on an extremely old theme.

I

I have re-posted my observations and I can not see any inaccuracies but you are free to point them out.
The gauge I designed the how and why it worked has been up front from the very beginning and my personal opinion of you crying foul at this late stage is extremely churlish on your part, also I am extremely surprised at your comment “I don’t know any thing about your gauge or its proper use I feel you should have known better than to even suggest that.

My design has always been on the basis of here it is the way it works is explained you are free to make it if you wish. **** END OF ****

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Manson gauge is used (in its most efficient manner) horizontally, just like yours. Yes, as you refuse to realize, the vertical use of the Manson gauge is obsolete. I have explained the quite simple horizontal method many times on this forum. The Manson gauge does not come in a wooden box that costs more than your gauge. I have never seen such a box for a Manson gauge. The Manson gauge, no box, is $100 and will measure way more than nine inches. British proof doesn't mean nearly as much to us as wall thickness throughout the entire length of the tube. Your pictures on page three are a representation of exactly how the Manson gauge is used in the horizontal position. Oddly, you have saved me from having to post pictures. Yours work just fine.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore.

Life and time is far to valuable to spend splitting hairs with you, also you seem to be of the opinion you are talking to someone who actually cares I gave the design away for any person to make and use. I think I will let Rhett Butler of “Gone with the wind” give you my final word on this subject “Frankly _ _ _ _ _ _ _.” And let people who have at least gone to the trouble to make one give their objective opinions.

Damascus

Sidelock
Sidelock

For anyone who is interested, I will give a five minute demonstration, with no written instructions, of how to use a Manson gauge, at the Northeast Side by Side Shoot or the Fall Southern Side by Side shoot. Using the earlier poster's suggestion of the tool box and bungee cord, no helper is neccesary. The tool demonstrated by Damascus is a wonderful invention and I am interested to see it in action. To correct a couple of comments, the Manson gauge is used horizontally, the Manson gauge does not have to be adjusted for different barrels. However, the Manson gauge is not light, it weighs 48 ounces and will not fit in your pocket. The Manson gauge will measure any point of your barrel from breech or muzzle to 16 inches into the bore either way. If you want it to measure 9 inches, you can saw off the bars seven inches and reinstall them in the block. I never meant to critique the gauge being discussed in this thread, I only meant to correct the posters' comments that the Manson gauge cannot be used horizontally and that it comes in an expensive box. I didn't expect such a reaction.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.