Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with gunman...in my experience some of those lines can go quite deep and you would never be able to file them away.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Grain lines in the metal from the original forging . You see a lot in wrought iron work .Not a lot you can do about them with out polishing them out and by that I mean file rather than mop. Even then there is a percentage that will probably always show .
All old ladies have wrinkle or two .

I'm not an metallurgist, but I believe we have a member or two that is. Possibly Dick Dup. He can probably give a technical explanation of the possible causes of these lines.

I know there are many different defects that can occur in forgings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those look too fine to be cold laps, but hard to be positive from a pic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think many folks have seen wrought iron inclusions (silicates?), but there's usually a 'grain' to it. I see lines that cross near ninety degrees to each other, might be hard to do that by forging metal without some distortion.

I'd still guess, in that particular picture, maybe those are rough filing marks that telegraphed through the finish because they weren't seen or the part was taken to some final dimension.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it is a typical by-product of the steel manufacturing technique for small batches production in the late 1800's. Prior to widespread adoption of Bessemer's Converter and crucible steels a different technique was used. It was known as fa-g-g-oting (strange but true) Iron rods were drawn from pure puddled iron. @ 1/2" diameter. The rods were then case hardened by cementation method for @ 24 hrs to infuse carbon into the iron.After case hardening they where cleaned off, fluxed and bound together into a bundle(fa--ot) of 10-20 rods. then heated to white heat and pounded together. The end result was a billet of steel. Incidentally the Birmingham gun quarter was/is bordered by Steelhouse Lane which reflects a business that performed this method.The marks one sees are the boundaries between rods. As a production technique it disappeared around the year 1900.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for your explanation Hugh. After seeing many examples of this over many years, yours is the first detailed description of what was the cause that I have read. Terry

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are they an indication of weakening structure as has been suggested to me by one of my gunmaker friends?

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blue Grouse, You'll find a good answer to your question in a little known, but very interesting book: Fighting Iron, by Art Cogan.
Sorry, I don't have it on hands now, so I can't tell the exact page.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check old Highwalls. Most all of them have forging lines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If what Hugh Lomas says is true, and it does sound very plausible, wouldn't it be fairly easy to confirm by draw filing and then rust bluing one of these actions by the same process used to blue or brown Damascus barrels? Since the case hardening infusion of carbon into the pure iron rods would only be a few thousandths thick, subsequent hammer welding and forging of the fagg*t would not give a homogenous steel product, but something more akin to an action forged of layers of iron and steel, i.e. Damascus. Rust bluing followed by etching would leave the high carbon areas blue/black while the pure iron areas would be etched white.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.