April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 403 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: El Garro
Canvasback. Thank you for the pictures.
That gun is a beauty. Does it get used ?

El Garro, as I said in the original posting of that gun, those ones aren't mine. I only have one Ideal at the moment, shown in my original post. I like that Art Nouveau gun and if I owned it, I would use it as I use all my guns. However, at this stage of the game, I won't buy a Lunette. I live and hunt in Canada. There are many, many days that gloves are required. Thus, no Lunettes.

Last edited by canvasback; 05/14/13 11:24 AM. Reason: grammar

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wondered if it maybe belonged to someone you knew. I see what you mean about it being a no glove gun, still, it's one of the more unusual yet beautiful actions that I've ever seen.
Thanks again.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Man,
I wish I had one now...some one slap up a close up of one those ribbandy /reedy top quality fences from an old vld Francotte say a 30 or 45 grade on up ..for me, would ya'?..yummm
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 05/14/13 05:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For my money, when the Germans got them right, their fences are the sexiest, particularly like in the gun above where the deep cut carves into the fences and then sweeps out to form the sideclip.

These fences are elegant but get lost in what may be one of the few engraving patterns that could make Tony Galazan blush:

A little subtler (and $90k cheaper):

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: C. Roger Bleile
Daryl,

What is the gun in the last picture of your last post? How I would love to see images of that whole gun! The artistry and skill of that engraver is extraordinary.

Roger

Roger, what is it about that specific gun that really jumps out at you? A lot of these guns look extraordinary to me and while I will never be an engraver, I am trying to learn to see what someone such as yourself sees, as best I can.

Regards,

James

James,

It is difficult to explain without a dissertation on ornamental design and engraving techniques. In brief, the engraver's work is of two parts. Designing the ornamental scrollwork and executing the design. Many engravers are better at one aspect than the other but the engraver in question was well versed in both. Many collectors focus on scenes and figures but most of us engravers judge by the scroll or other ornament such as oak leaf or acanthus. This is because, in many cases, the scenes and figures are often copied from established images and it is just a mater of technical skill to translate those images into engraving. The ornamental work is where the engraver can exercise his creativity (within the constraints of the client's budget). In the case of the Hiawatha/Adolph gun, the flow and development of the floral scrollwork shows an advanced understanding of ornamental design and how it is adapted to the multitude of contours of a gun's surfaces. The execution of the design using chisels, burins, and punches is equally skilled.

I'm afraid that all my verbiage above still does not answer your question. To do so I would need to create a PowerPoint with lines, circles, and arrows with annotation to point out all of the fine points and contrast them with images of other engraved guns of lesser skill and artistry. If we ever meet at a gun show, I may be able to give you some pointers. Until I can post images here without using Photobucket or something similar, I can only use words for explanation.

Regards,
Roger

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Purdey 12 circa 1869

Last edited by damascus; 05/15/13 02:49 PM.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think someone has ripped someone off with that Purdey. I would bet its more like 1869 than 1969.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roger, that was exactly the kind of answer I hoped for. You may know too much, be too skilled, to remember how so little can be of value, but what you have said, however briefly, helps me a lot. Thank you.

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes 300846 it was a typographical error on my part but a rip off I would not be too sure of that. What would you sooner have a truly craftsman made nitro proof one hundred plus year old Purdey with a history of people who have used it from King Edward V11, cabinet ministers, with one owner who bet some three million pounds on his Epsom Derby horse to win! And it did!!!
To a semi machined Purdey “Barking Iron” made in the 1960s. I know which one I would prefer to own, THIS ONE!!!!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.