April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hugh Lomas, Hammergun, L. Brown), 1,084 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,136
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well:
For what ever reason Winchester chose not to do so. I have been told in the past that they believed it would be difficult to get a magazine fed bolt action to feed this type of cartridge reliably. If this is in error so be it.
And considering the intended use of this rifle reliability was of primary importance.
However Winchester had no issues with chambering their Model 70 for the 375 Holland & Holland which is of course the parent case for the 458 Magnum.
I stand by my initial response that the 458 Magnum in the Winchester Model 70 filled a need perceived by Winchester for that American hunter making an occasional safari while retaining utility for other purposes and that was my whole intent in responding to this thread to begin with.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 05/14/13 12:43 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's true, but the original inquiry was about extraction/ejection problems with belted/rimless cartridges in a double rifle.
Mike

GaryO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike. I had wondered if folks had forgotten....
BTW: Kreigoff (sp) offeres thier doubles in 375 H&H. Why not some other rounds? Case body taper? Just sayin'...

GaryO

NRA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
That's true, but the original inquiry was about extraction/ejection problems with belted/rimless cartridges in a double rifle.
Mike

I agree and that question was answered in the 2nd post in the thread. The thread would probably have ended there if that other guy didn't start making some IMO unfounded statements inre. to the 458 Winchester Magnum. In case you haven't noticed ;He has conveniently exited from the thread. If you want to probe someone's intent why don't you contact him. I'm out of here.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 05/14/13 07:10 PM.

GaryO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I contacted Searcy today and he will only chamber rimmed rounds. I still wonder how some makers will chamber in 375 H&H, but not other rimless rounds. Maybe the the case taper in the 375? What say you...

GaryO

NRA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reliable extraction is the main reason you want rimmed on a DG rifle. It's only going to take 1 mess up with those tiny pawls slipping past the rim, then you're dead.
I have a 300 H&H DR that has ripped thru the rim and were stuck in the chamber. I'm a believer in a healthy rim for a DGF rifle.

GaryO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AkMike1
Reliable extraction is the main reason you want rimmed on a DG rifle. It's only going to take 1 mess up with those tiny pawls slipping past the rim, then you're dead.
I have a 300 H&H DR that has ripped thru the rim and were stuck in the chamber. I'm a believer in a healthy rim for a DGF rifle.

Good answer, Mike. That is the type of help I was looking for. Not an editorial...

GaryO

NRA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Because of the basic design of 'most' double rifles they can't handle the pressures of modern necked rounds.
The old ways are the best ways for the most part. There's no need to re-invent the wheel if it still works good.
There is a German rifle, Kreighoff IIRC that will build a 500/416 if you need a 416. I don't care for their silly 'decocker button' but that's just me.
But a 450,470 0r 500 will handle anything you want. If not there's always the 577 or 600 or 700.
Bailey Bradshaw will put a rimless round in his falling block DR. It'll cost a bunch more for it though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Italiansxs,

I haven't exited this thread, I've just been sitting back reading the replies. I didn't say that a double rifle had to be used by the shooter, I know only too well how expensive they are. All the British NE rounds can be also used in a bolt action rifle as well. Certainly rifles with bolt actions large enough to take the longest cases in NE calibres aren't either common or cheap but they are cheaper than British made doubles even if you have to have them custom built in the USA.

I stand by my original statement that there was no real need for either of the US cartridges. Unless of course it was to promote the gun makers ammo sales.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry:
And it least for the most part its is still a free Country here. I expect there are thousands of owners of the 458 Winchester Magnum that would totally disagree with your assertion.
Current ammunition "shortages" aside; anyone can walk into any well stocked sporting goods store here and walk out with 458 Winchester ammo and at a reasonable price.
Try that with the 470 Nitro Express or one of the more exotic big bore British cartridges. I expect you understand the price differential and availability issues.
Are you now maintaining that the British makers didn't develop their own cartridges to promote the gun makers ammo sales?
Jim

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.