Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunwolf I looked at the links you provided on the 7x57 and 7x57R ballistics, dimensions, suppliers, etc. Very interesting. Thank you. "R" is slightly under pressured and therefore slightly less velocity and energy....to be expected.

TexasJack

TexasJack
The 2014 and 2016 elections will save or doom America's greatness. Vote.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey, above you state: "Merkel must have used the fastening process before they filed the patent. Tube effort by one of the best, Wilhelm Kelber & it has the interlaced J&Y for a mechanic that Günter & I are chasing. The 16867 could be a number for Wilhelm Kelber or for the source of the Böhler tube steel. Is there not some proof data accompanied by a Crown over N on it somewhere?" I am so new to double guns that this is pretty much "Greek" to me. Can you elaborate on each sentence a little? Sorry to be a bother .... I am eager to learn. It has a crown over a "G" (not "N"). What might this mean? What does crown over "N" mean?

TexasJack

Last edited by TexasJack; 05/01/13 09:03 PM.

TexasJack
Sidelock
Sidelock

In short the following:

Verbindung für mehrläufige gewehre

For the period there were just a handful of very talented tube mechanics and they were:

Boys Kelber - Suhl(Louis & Wilhelm)
Jean Falla - Liege
William Ford - Britain

There were a few more but the base effort by these fellas starts to develop a quality model for the sporting weapon.

Yes, there would be a Crown over G(solid projectile) and there should be some proof - load date like a 12 gram bullet weight for a jacketed bullet.

N would note Nitro and there are other marks under the wooden slats on the side.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Texasjack,
the scope is an original Zeiss Zielvier (means aim 4) this is one of the most famous scopes of Zeiss, well known as for use of snipers in WW II........

Pretty nice and because of the number out of that time!

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Texasjack,

I found this, a Zeiss catalogue from 1938:

http://www.jagdwaffensammler.de/fileadmin/images/zeisskatalog1938.pdf

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, feel free to ask Merkel about your gun, send the number to
info@merkel-waffen.de , normally they are helpful.

Gunwolf

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunwolf, you are a GOD-SEND! Here's the email I sent to Merkel:

Merkel:

I have been told by a German double gun enthusiast on a US bulletin board that Merkel is frequently helpful in providing background information on older pieces of Merkel art. I am attaching a few photos of a recent purchase. It is, I believe, a Taube Model combo gun manufactured by Merkel in "3/29" (March 1929), as marked on the barrel. The photos tell the story better, for the gun and the Zeiss scope. Any general information would be appreciated, both gun (mainly) and scope. A few specific questions follow.

Slide Show of Photos:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/mljackso/slideshow/ML%20Jackson%203-27-52/Merkel%20Combo

1. Is this chambered for 7x57 or 7x57R? The barrel is marked "16 7x57" but some online experts are telling me I need to use 7x57R. I noted the only time I shot it that the 7x57 brass cashings are hard to take out of the chamber after shooting. Not ejected by the gun and no "rim" to grab to to remove spent casing.

2. Is it OK to shoot modern 2-3/4" 16 gauge shot shells? If not, what size shells are appropriate? I test fired one modern 2-3/4" shell and it shot fine. But is this risky?

3. The gun show 2 serial numbers: 16141 and 16867. The first is shown on both the removable forearm and the barrel. The second appears only on the barrel. Why are there 2 serial numbers? Has this been re-chambered, or is it factory original relative to chambering?

4. Does the gun appear to be in totally original configuration? Or does it appear in some ways not to be factory original?

5. Is the scope era correct for the rifle? I have seen this scope in a 1938 Zeiss catalog, so I feel it is correct for this gun...please confirm. Is the scope factory original or added later by an owner?

6. I am not sure how to adjust the scope. I have not really tried yet, but at first glance the adjustments are not intuitive. Can you send a few simple instructions, or maybe you have an original owner's manual?

I want you to know that I appreciate how Germans typically communicate so well in my inferior language (English). Thank you for learning my language. I wish I knew yours! (Then I could read all the catalogs I am finding about the best double guns!)

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Not expecting you to answer every question.....

Mike Jackson

(Yes, Michael Jackson)
Houston, Texas
1-713-471-xxxx

TexasJack
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike(Texasjack),
I guess others have answered most of your questions, or will,but the following are a couple that may have been missed. The trigger guard is not bone, rather it is horn(buffalo)as is the butt plate.The gun hasn't been rechambered, it was always intended for 7x57R.If it had been rechambered or had any other significant work,it would have a crown "R"(repair)proof.Merkel may not address your questions about the scope, they didn't make it and likely didn't mount it.Members of this board or German Gun Collectors Assn.board can help with adjusting it.BTW if you are interested in German guns,you might consider joining the GGCA.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike is right, it's Horn and original.
As for the scope, this link may be interesting:

http://www.zeiss.de/de/archives/home.nsf

They are very keen with the archives.

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Texasjack,
hope you will get an answer from Merkel!
I'm curious...
Gunwolf

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.