May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (buckstix, Jimmy W, Tim Carney, R. Glenz), 258 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xausa
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox Mike
Just saw and examined four drillings for sale today- three have Hensoldt vari-power scopes, with the "two-=piece rail mountings- that's my term for the two piece rails set in place on the claws, with set screws that allow you to move the scope for your own eye relief-[/quote

In my experience, the "set screws" are actually screws running completely through the rails, requiring holes to be drilled in the rails for their placement, and are therefore not adjustable for eye relief without drilling additional holes.

In any case, claw mounts have a limited amount of fore and aft adjustment, since moving the scope too far forward in the mount will prevent it from being tipped forward far enough for removal.
Thanks- I missed that detail--another gem of wisdom from a fellow drilling gent- now stored in my "book of knowledge"- Thanks RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF,
xausa is correct that the screws are not set screws,but some only go half their diameter into the rail, instead of the full diameter.For both types,it's pretty "iffy" to drill the holes. I recommend you don't try it if you can avoid it,by adjusting the focus and learning to shoot it with your head at whatever position it takes to see through the scope. If you insist(after all,it will be your gun), be advised you will have to drill the rail through the base because the rail is tapered and the base helps keep the drill from "running".Also, the Germans use a small cutter,similar to an end mill, in a breast drill to cut a "square" seat for the drill to start in. There should be a "center" on the underside aligned with the drill,to keep the hole lined up.The drill should be about the minor diameter of the screw, so you don't wipe out the threads if you drill too far.Then you would have to run a tap through if the hole is full diameter. This is a lot of "scary" work to move the scope a fraction of an inch. Good luck.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
RWTF,
xausa is correct that the screws are not set screws,but some only go half their diameter into the rail, instead of the full diameter.For both types,it's pretty "iffy" to drill the holes. I recommend you don't try it if you can avoid it,by adjusting the focus and learning to shoot it with your head at whatever position it takes to see through the scope. If you insist(after all,it will be your gun), be advised you will have to drill the rail through the base because the rail is tapered and the base helps keep the drill from "running".Also, the Germans use a small cutter,similar to an end mill, in a breast drill to cut a "square" seat for the drill to start in. There should be a "center" on the underside aligned with the drill,to keep the hole lined up.The drill should be about the minor diameter of the screw, so you don't wipe out the threads if you drill too far.Then you would have to run a tap through if the hole is full diameter. This is a lot of "scary" work to move the scope a fraction of an inch. Good luck.
Mike
Again- thanks- I can move my head, and am, luckily- right handed, right master eye- so the cheekpiece stock normally found on drillings is not a problem--no moving my "cheek-weld" position for eye relief with the Hensoldt vari-powered scopes. I am going back next week and pick out one of the 4 I looked over-- most likely the 12 gauge-- Wow- what a detailed analysis of the procedure used toodify that style of mounts on the claw mounts-- intrigued by the term "breast drill"-- is this like a brace and bit perhaps? In Roger Rule's great book on the Model 70's (pardon the digression here) in the dis-assembly section, they have a print of a gun mechanic removing the machine screws to dis-assemble the barrel & receiver group from the stock, the rifle is clamped into a padded vise, and he is using a brace and bit-- Of course, a breast drill could also be a "Dolly Parton" model, nice to have her in my shop for a day--bet she would work out great in the heat treatment area- hardening tools, etc!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF,
Some people call a breast drill an "egg beater drill". I too have a bit brace set up with a screwdriver bit,it generates a lot of torque and works very well as long as you use a bit with parallel sides(tapered bit is bad to slip out).
Don't worry about cheekweld,otherwise you will have a hard time shooting a drilling.That is what I meant by "shoot it like a shotgun". Also don't use the sling to shoot with,use it only as a carrying strap.
Mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.