May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (smlekid, Borderbill, PALUNC, Chantry), 533 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Steve. You are a true craftsman. I love your work, always exceptional rifles. If you think 2.5 will do it I'll go with that. It sure ups the availibility in good wood.
Mike

Mwhite, USN retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just measured my 1905,mag box is 1 3/16" wide,stock is just shy of 1 3/4" at that point.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for measuring for me. For some reason, maybe old eyes it sure looks wider than that.
Mike

Mwhite, USN retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's that 'still in the block' inletted blank that came with my latest M/S project.
Sorry for the bad pics,,my specialty it seems.

The width at the magazine on the still to be shaped blank is 2".
The OAL of the blank is 38 3/4"". The wood overruns the edge of the muzzle by an 1/8".
This one was hand inletted so they could use a piece of wood no longer than absolutely necessary.
Having a blank turned usually demands a bit more length than the finished product but glued on extensions that are not be part of that finished stock can be used.
Some operators don't like to use them though.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter, nice rifle project. Even in plain wood it will still look good. What length is that barrel? Mybarre is 19.5, and from the end of the barrel to the front trigger it is 26 inches. That is why I was thinking I needed a 40 inch blank or close.
Mike

Mwhite, USN retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

The bbl is about 17 1/2",,,the standard M1903 6.5mm carbine,,if there is any such thing as a standard for these (?).

Easy way to 'rough' measure M/S bbls if you don't have a rod or measuring devise that'll slip down the bore is from the center of the front 'guard' screw to the muzzle.
That screw enters the action right about at the point that the chamber face is located inside the breech area.

A 40" blank is most likely going to be needed anyway. A bit of shifting the pattern around, the operator needs a little extra to clamp onto the blank while working on it ect.

No trigger(s) in mine,,missing from the project box-o-parts. The stock hasn't been inletted for any trigger, single or DST.
I'm going to put a single trigger into it.,,have the parts on the way.
That and a 1/2 stock will make it a bit unique.
I figure no use doing all this work to make up something that's already available for sale at most any decent gunshow.
Plus, I could look forever and never find one!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.