March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 287 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

(host, plz move as necessary!) For the Love of Ithaca Guns!! Well, these ARE double guns and do lay side by side. Sorry to hurt anyone's eyes but it begets a question I have re shortened barrels in 12g for kids hunting. Turn your eyes away as needed...
Q. What are some of the shortest 12g doublegun barrels out there suitable for hunt guns for kids? Note that I'm 6'3" and still find a 28" barrel "long." Has anyone cut down inexpensive SxS/OU in any gauge for hunting applications for youngsters? I'm thinking lighter weight and easier swinging, easier carry? is it much greater blast?

My elementary kids still have several years before they get formally introduced to 'real firearms.'

(For those curious, as 1950's-era 12g Ithaca 37s, came in $$ cheap, one came with a 20+" cut barrel. Given the necessary handfitting charges for interrupted threads if i were to buy one new barrel, I had these finished off as such. So in the interest of my future ammo bearers, my question is does cutting barrels down to the minimum, w Polychokes, present a versatile "lighter" 12g for young ones to initiate them into hunting/skeet? The stocks were cut to a shorter LOP w cushpads put on. They balance 1" behind the front of the receiver line. Or maybe I'll just resell them as vintage home defense home-made units.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodcock gun, 24 inch SXS ?

Coach guns

http://store.cimarron-firearms.com/shotguns/hammerless.html

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 04/16/13 09:53 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

No Poly Chokes for me, thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Virginian
No Poly Chokes for me, thank you.

Long as the Poly-choke does not ruin the balance of the gun, I kind of like'em. The choke settings on the one I have actually seem to work pretty well. Plus they look pretty good on an A-5 or an Ithaca cornshucker!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would anyone want a "Home Defense" 12 gauge pump with what my late Granddad called a *&^-Damned Pickle" on the muzzle? A 20" to 22" straight cylinder bore is what you want. Also a M37 FW is a fine repeater with light loads, but a 6.5 lb. 12 gauge is not what you want for 2 & 3/4" OO buckshot loads- a 7.5 lb. Winchester M12, M25 or even the old cornholer- the M1897 pump with exposed hammer- a heavier pump will have less felt recoil with the buckshot loads--

I'll bet our "house critic" from the Volunteer State will crap his chaps when he sees pumpguns posted on a side-by-side double gun forum BBS webthingy--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Load up some light 12 gauge shells and go have fun.

I challenge you to shoot a round of sporting clays with one of those short barrel Model 37's and keep a smile off your face.

The kids will enjoy it just fine unless someone ELSE tells them the gun is to be ashamed of.

One thing to be aware of is the possibility of a low POI. This is due to the height of the front sight and the difficulty of seeing through the pickle. The top gun also looks to have a lower comb.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

This will be my 10 year old son's third season of sporting clays. He just started shooting a Uggie SxS with 25" barrels. I would bet that the SxS with 25" barrels is not much longer than the pump with a 20" barrel?

He had been shooting a SxS with 28 inch barrels and having all the weight out front threw off his gun mount and stance terribly.

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

rrrgcy,

I think you have an interesting question. I've been one to avoid cut barrels, but I DO have this 12 gauge SxS below with cut barrels (19 3/4"). Your post has gotten me thinking of the possibility of correcting the ballance and choke. I could get chokes added to it - any thoughts/recommendations from anyone on the best way to fix the ballance and choke?

Thanks for the idea.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: patrickwall
rrrgcy,

I think you have an interesting question. I've been one to avoid cut barrels, but I DO have this 12 gauge SxS below with cut barrels (19 3/4"). Your post has gotten me thinking of the possibility of correcting the ballance and choke. I could get chokes added to it - any thoughts/recommendations from anyone on the best way to fix the ballance and choke?

Thanks for the idea. (1) Remove "Pack and Play-meyer" recoil pad, and hollow out from the center of the buttstock to shift balance of this "StageCoach" special (2) Go to Supply Sgt. Hooch and ask to borrow his "barrel stretching tool"--

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 04/17/13 09:59 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

30 or 40 yrs ago I hunted with a guy that had an Ithaca SxS 20ga that had very short factory barrels as they were choked M&F and was set in a slender stock making it a very light gun that hurt alot even with light loads. It was still leagal to use lead then and he was real hard on ducks that we would jump shoot up in NW MN. I'm guessing that they were in the 20-22" range as I was shooting an SKB 100 and a Breda O/U with 26" barrels.

Last edited by oskar; 04/17/13 07:01 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.