May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (btbell, 2 invisible), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,548
Posts546,190
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm looking for a book recommendation, for one which contains information regarding early Purdey cartridge guns. I have the book "The Early Purdeys" which mainly covers the muzzleloading era of manufacture, but I am interested in one that covers topics such as the various thumb hole action variants, pinfire guns, early centerfire hammer gun development...etc.

A book that includes early Purdey patent descriptions/drawings, would be very helpful, as would one with good photographs of said topics.

Does such an animal exist? If the information I seek is included in a larger work which includes information not solely limited to Purdey guns, I would also be interested in your recommendation.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recommend you go to Amazon.

Enter "Purdey" in the search box.

Then click.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, have you read the books by Dallas or Beaumont? What did you think of them? Regarding the topics I am interested in, do you think either will suit my needs?

Am I asking such unreasonable questions that the first response I get justifies sarcasm?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Dallas book is quite good and I think you'd enjoy the information. Some patent drawings, lots of dates and serial no. Data.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
So, have you read the books by Dallas or Beaumont? What did you think of them? Regarding the topics I am interested in, do you think either will suit my needs?

Am I asking such unreasonable questions that the first response I get justifies sarcasm?
Naaw- you are OK- don't pay any attention to BB- we don't- he just likes to piss in your bowl of Post Toasties every now and then--ignor him, but he'll never go away. Try Richard Beaumont's book on Purdeys- great History-if you like rich upper crust Limeys and their weapons--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a poor lower crust Limey I would recommend the Donald Dallas book. As it's Purdey's bicentenary next year he is bringing out an updated and enlarged edition if you want to wait that long. The Beaumont book is not as lavishly illustrated and can sometimes be picked up cheaper. Both have their merits. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen, those are the opinions that I was looking for. I especially appreciate the information regarding the updated edition of Donald Dallas' book. It sounds like that might be the one to wait for.

Thanks again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Flintfan, I have a copy of the Beaumont book in hardcover which I have read. If you would like it I will post it to you, you can send me your address by PM I presume, best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a little known book titled “The shot gun” written by T.D.S Purdey and J.A Purdey printed strictly for the sportsman’s library in 1936, that will indeed give you an insight into to the mind set of an upper crust limey family who at the time made some of the finest sporting guns some would say. If nothing else it is an insight in to what the upper crust sports man should know in etiquette and guns, it also has the poem “The battle of the guns” going through all the prominent London gunmakers one by one with just a couple of Birmingham makers thrown in.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it was published in 1938 and I quote from it (sorry, going OT here):

"Here is an amusing skit on the principle British gunmakers of a generation or two ago. After this lapse of time we are unable to say who wrote it or where it originally appeared:

THE BATTLE OF THE GUNS

There's no occasion to be wordy.
My gun the gun said Mr Purdey.
No gun but mine is worth a toss!
Thus spoke the valiant Mr Boss.
You may in your armchair loll and
Shoot with mine quoth Mr Holland.
Find me a gun like mine! You cant!
Thus up and spoke bold Mr Grant.
Just try my gun! Now that's your style, eh?
Remarked irreverent Mr Reilly.
My gun will make you play 'Go bang',
And give you game! punned Mr Lang.
A good gun needs not note of bugle!
Observed sententious Mr Dougall.
No gun could neater be, or cleaner,
Than mine is! pleaded Mr Greener.
On my guns fame no rival can cast a
Slur! quoth worthy Mr Lancaster.
No gun can beat our gun we say!
Thus proudly Messrs Moore and Grey.
Oh, not for worlds would I speak coarsely;
But some folks fib! sighed Mr Hoarsley.
Prevent your shoulder getting kicks on,
And use my gun! cried Mr Dickson.
All sportsmen have for mine a good word!
Rejoined discreetly Mr Woodward.
On better barrels never shone sun
Than mine! quoth modest Mt Johnson.
No other gun has got a leg
To stand on! boasted Mr Egg.
The best of guns (to say it I glad am)'s
Mine! said honest Mr Adams.
My gun is the best gun, confess'dly!
Adjudged great Mr Richards (Westley).
(To find a word on which to pitch hard's
For a rhyme with Westley Richards.)

Well, no-one said it was good!

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.