April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, David Williamson, Argo44, graybeardtmm3, 2 invisible), 455 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,209
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 29 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since it's a given that the libtard anti's ultimately want a total gun "prohibition" I thought it would be interesting to see just how the earlier experiment in "prohibition" actually turned out. Keep the "Law of Unintended Consequences" in mind as you read this. smirk
Jim

Prohibition in the 1920s

Thirteen Years That Damaged America

I have always taken an interest in the Roaring Twenties and that is why I decided to write my English term paper on an event that occurred in the 1920s. What follows is my term paper which concentrates on prohibition and why it was not effective, namely because of lack of enforcement, growth of crime, and the increase in the drinking rate. I hope this may be of some help to you.

“Prohibition did not achieve its goals. Instead, it added to the problems it was intended to solve” (Thorton, 15). On Midnight of January 16, 1920, one of the personal habits and customs of most Americans suddenly came to a halt. The Eighteenth Amendment was put into effect and all importing, exporting, transporting, selling, and manufacturing of intoxicating liquor was put to an end.

Shortly following the enactment of the Eighteenth Amendment, the National Prohibition Act, or the Volstead Act, as it was called because of its author, Andrew J. Volstead, was put into effect. This determined intoxicating liquor as anything having an alcoholic content of anything more than 0.5 percent, omitting alcohol used for medicinal and sacramental purposes. This act also set up guidelines for enforcement (Bowen, 154).

Prohibition was meant to reduce the consumption of alcohol, seen by some as the devil’s advocate, and thereby reduce crime, poverty, death rates, and improve the economy and the quality of life. “National prohibition of alcohol -- the ‘noble experiment’ -- was undertaken to reduce crime and corruption, solve social problems, reduce the tax burden created by prisons and poorhouses, and improve health and hygiene in America” (Thorton, 1). This, however, was undoubtedly to no avail. The Prohibition amendment of the 1920s was ineffective because it was unenforceable, it caused the explosive growth of crime, and it increased the amount of alcohol consumption.

“It is impossible to tell whether prohibition is a good thing or a bad thing. It has never been enforced in this country” (LaGuardia). After the Volstead Act was put into place to determine specific laws and methods of enforcement, the Federal Prohibition Bureau was formulated in order to see that the Volstead Act was enforced. Nevertheless, these laws were flagrantly violated by bootleggers and commoners alike.

Bootleggers smuggled liquor from oversees and Canada, stole it from government warehouses, and produced their own. Many people hid their liquor in hip flasks, false books, hollow canes, and anything else they could find (Bowen, 159). There were also illegal speak-easies which replaced saloons after the start of prohibition. By 1925, there were over 100,000 speak-easies in New York City alone (Bowen, 160).

As good as the ideal sounded, “...prohibition was far easier to proclaim than to enforce” (Wenburn, 234). With only 1,550 federal agents and over 18,700 miles of (Bowen, 166) “vast and virtually unpoliceable coastline” (Wenburn, 234), “it was clearly impossible to prevent immense quantities of liquor from entering the country” (Behr, 162). Barely five percent of smuggled liquor was hindered from coming into the country in the 1920s.

Furthermore, the illegal liquor business fell under the control of organized gangs, which overpowered most of the authorities (Wenburn, 234). Many bootleggers secured their business by bribing the authorities, namely federal agents and persons of high political status (Bowen, 160). “No one who is intellectually honest will deny that there has not yet been effective nationwide enforcement” (Behr, 161).

As a result of the lack of enforcement of the Prohibition Act and the creation of an illegal industry an increase in crime transpired. The Prohibitionists hoped that the Volstead Act would decrease drunkenness in America and thereby decrease the crime rate, especially in large cities. Although towards the beginning of Prohibition this purpose seemed to be fulfilled, the crime rate soon skyrocketed to nearly twice that of the pre-prohibition period. In large cities the homicide went from 5.6 (per 100,000 population) in the pre-prohibition period, to nearly 10 (per 100,000 population) during prohibition, nearly a 78 percent increase.

Serious crimes, such as homicides, assault, and battery, increased nearly 13 percent, while other crimes involving victims increased 9 percent. Many supporters of prohibition argued that the crime rate decreased. This is true if one is examining only minor crimes, such as swearing, mischief, and vagrancy, which did in fact decrease due to prohibition. The major crimes, however, such as homicides, and burglaries, increased 24 percent between 1920 and 1921. In addition, the number of federal convicts over the course of the prohibition period increased 561 percent. The crime rate increased because “prohibition destroyed legal jobs, created black-market violence, diverted resources from enforcement of other laws, and increased prices people had to pay for prohibited goods” (Thorton, 10).

The contributing factor to the sudden increase of felonies was the organization of crime, especially in large cities. Because liquor was no longer legally available, the public turned to gangsters who readily took on the bootlegging industry and supplied them with liquor. On account of the industry being so profitable, more gangsters became involved in the money-making business. Crime became so organized because “criminal groups organize around the steady source of income provided by laws against victimless crimes such as consuming alcohol” (Thorton, 13). As a result of the money involved in the bootlegging industry, there was much rival between gangs. The profit motive caused over four hundred gang related murders a year in Chicago alone (Bowen, 175).

Incidentally, large cities were the main location for organized gangs. Although there were over a half dozen powerful gangs in New York, Chicago was the capital of racketeers, including Johnny Torrio, “Bugs Moran”, the Gennas, and the O’Banions (Behr, 192). The most powerful and infamous bootlegger however, was Al Capone, operating out of Chicago. One of the most gruesome and remembered gangster shoot-outs of all time occurred on Valentine’s Day, 1929. Because of business differences, Capone had his henchman, “Machine Gun” Jack McGurn plot the murder of the O’Banions, led by Bugs Moran.

McGurn staged a delivery of alcohol to Moran at a warehouse and had his gang members impersonate police officers and pretend to raid the transaction. With a sweep of machine gun fire, McGurn killed all that were inside. Capone had a solid alibi, being in Miami at the time, and no convictions were ever made. This event is an example of how prohibition fueled gang warfare and increased the crime rate in America (Bowen, 175).

“Seldom has law been more flagrantly violated. Not only did Americans continue to manufacture, barter, and possess alcohol; they drank more of it” (Bowen, 154). The Americans that supported the law of prohibition argued that if drinking was not allowed, then Americans would drink less. Although the consumption of alcohol fell immediately after the beginning of prohibition, there was a subsequent increase after less than a year (see appendix i). After the start of prohibition, because manufacturing and importing alcohol were illegal, people needed to find ways to avoid being caught.

Because beer had to be transported in large quantities, which became difficult, the price of beer went up and thus Americans began to drink less of it. Instead, they began to drink more hard liquor, which was more concentrated and easier to transport and thus less expensive. Because of prohibition, Americans began to drink more potent drinks and so became more drunk by drinking less. Another downfall of prohibition was that the illegally made products had no standards. Deaths from poisoned liquor rose from 1,064 in 1920 to 4,154 in 1925.

Although one would think that prohibition would enhance the difficulty of obtaining alcohol, liquor was actually very easy to acquire. The bootlegging business was so immense that customers could easily obtain alcohol by simply walking down almost any street. Replacing saloons, which were all shut down at the start of prohibition, were illegal speak-easies. These businesses, hidden in basements, office buildings, and anywhere that could be found, admitted only those with membership cards, and had the most modern alarm systems to avoid being shut down. “There were twice as many speak-easies in Rochester, New York, as saloons closed by Prohibition” (Thorton, 6).

Bootleggers, having very profitable businesses (one bootlegger was worth more than five million dollars), either illegally imported liquor, stole it from government warehouses, or made their own, making it readily available to customers (Bowen 170). Many home products were sold to those customers who wanted small quantities of alcohol. Vine-Glo, a type of grape juice, turned into wine (15 percent alcohol) after sixty days of fermentation. Wort, or near beer, was legally produced because it had less than 0.5 percent alcohol. When added to yeast, this product quickly turned into beer. Alcohol used for medicinal purposes, prescribed by a doctor, was also technically legal.

There were restrictions, such as only one pint was allowed per person in a ten day period, but these rules were blatantly ignored (Bowen, 164). The sales of medicinal alcohol, which was 95 percent pure alcohol, increased 400 percent between 1923 and 1931. Another factor that proves the increase of alcohol consumption is the increase in deaths and drunkenness. The drop in alcohol related deaths before prohibition quickly rose during prohibition. Arrests for drunkenness and disorderly conduct increased 41 percent, while arrests for drunk driving increased 81 percent during prohibition (Thorton, 7).

“The results of the experiment [prohibition] are clear: ...organized crime grew into an empire; ...disrespect for the law grew; and the per capita consumption of the prohibited substance -- alcohol -- increased dramatically” (McWilliams). It is obvious that this “noble experiment” was not so noble but rather a miserable failure on all accounts. Reasonable measures were not taken to enforce the laws and so they were practically ignored.

People flagrantly violated the law, drinking more of the substance that was originally prohibited. The problems prohibition intended to solve, such as crime, grew worse and they never returned to their pre-prohibition levels. Not only was prohibition ineffective, it was also damaging to the people and society it was meant to help. Prohibition should not have gone on for the thirteen years it was allowed to damage society.

Written by: Catherine H. Poholek

May 6, 1998

Works Cited

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent post Jim. The curse of unintended consequences.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of Canada's great philanthropic and liquor dynasties, the Bronfmans, got its start as bootleggers during prohibition, and the Nova Scotia rumrunner I'm Alone became one of big legal trials between Canada and the United States, with the USCG chasing the schooner beyond international waters and killing her captain "in hot pursuit" with a burst of machine gun fire into the wheelhouse.

It was in the late 20s and maybe five years before me but I became a late witness to prohibition treasures and the bootleggers craft. While working on a road construction crew during high school summers in the late 40s, I sat down with men at lunch on a mossy lump in a swale of roadside black spruce. Scraping away the moss, I revealed a five-gallon keg of black rum.

"Omigod," said Reuben Blakeney, champion drinker of our fishing village. His brother Walter, a hard-shelled Baptist teetotaller, rose up and without a word swung a pickaxe into the wooden keg, sending its precious, dark and wonderfully smelling liquid into the soil. Walter sat down with a so-there look on his face. No one said a word and went on with their lunch.

Thanks, Jim, for a reminder of a boy with men more than 65 years ago. And, yes, it was all so stupid by know-it-alls who decided to do the thinking for everyone---as they're trying to now with registration.

Last edited by King Brown; 03/03/13 05:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, don't forget the "Lion of the Senate's" father Joe, got his considerable fortune bootlegging, also through Canada. Teddy was very antigun.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Also, don't forget the "Lion of the Senate's" father Joe, got his considerable fortune bootlegging, also through Canada. Teddy was very antigun.
Mike

It wasn't just "through Canada". I believe there was a tight business relationship between Sam Bronfman and Joe Kennedy. A pair of crooks.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, it seems to me that the "do-gooders" who seem to wish to control everything learned a lot from the prohibition experiment in our Country. When they turned their attention to tobacco, they 1st went for the 'hearts and minds' of the country and keeping the legitimate industry intact, proceeded to tax it practically out of existence. I know that is true because I watched our local tobacco growing economy disappear inside of twenty-five years.

Now they're using the same tactics on guns. First they have turned a lot of the people to a belief that guns and the blood-sports are inherently evil and right thinking people should shun sportsmen and demand protection from evil guns, just as the people were convinced of the evil of tobacco (they were probably right about that)and the mores of society shifted to the point that smokers exercising their right to damage their health are now shunned.

Universal registration is not likely in my mind to be a prelude to confiscation. It is more likely to lead to a list of new gun-tax payers whose identities and location are known and who will be subjected, with the well-wishing of the people, to taxes which will make gun ownership so onerous and so expensive and so unpopular as to get rid of it despite the 2nd amendment...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"Universal registration is not likely in my mind to be a prelude to confiscation. It is more likely to lead to a list of new gun-tax payers whose identities and location are known and who will be subjected, with the well-wishing of the people, to taxes which will make gun ownership so onerous and so expensive and so unpopular as to get rid of it despite the 2nd amendment...Geoote:"

That is certainly the approach they've used on alcohol and tobacco. While I certainly don't condone smoking I find the approach used to lessen it repugnent and basically a very high tax on those who mostly can't afford it.
The liberals will continue to use some form of taxation to make firearms ownership far more expensive. Microstamping every bullet is just one example of this.
However; I firmly believe they'll wait for the next madman to help their cause along which is to ultimately eliminate the private ownership of all firearms. Univeral Registration will certainly make this job easier as has been demonstrated elsewhere.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not giving up my plug tobacco or my cigars and I'm certainly not giving up my guns. I may be paying the tax on my tobacco but they can kiss my ass on a gun tax. Enough is enough.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

James (Canvasback), I realize that Obama, Biden, Feinstein, et al are only important in the short term, while they are elected officials. They have moved onto the scene to replace the likes of Lyndon Johnson, Ted Kennedy, Joseph Tydings, and Howard Metzenbaum. When Obama and Co. are gone, they too will be replaced by a cadre of anti-gun politicians who share their idealogy. I wonder how many idiots here will believe Hillary Clinton in 3 1/2 years when she tells them supports the Second Amendment. Interesting to note that all of the above are Liberal Democrats. I'm beginning to see a pattern, but according to the Gospel of King Brown, we shouldn't pigeon-hole them or they will never sing Kumbaya with us.

I still think those who are believing polls provided by liberal news organizations that are telling us the 2nd Amendment is on its' death bed are allowing themselves to be deceived. I agree completely that guns have been demonized in our schools by liberal liars who are tools of the Liberal Democrat NEA, and in society at large by the liberal liars of the liberal media, which has become the propaganda wing of the Liberal Democrats. And while it has been somewhat effective, there are the signs I referenced that their message has not been as successful as they'd like. Gun ownership and gun numbers are at an all time high. NRA membership is as well. We won Concealed Carry in all but Barack Obamma's state of Illinois. Shows about guns and hunting may be gone from ABC, but they've been replaced on Cable and Sattelite channels. There is much to celebrate, and it takes tragic massacres and statistics from cities with restrictive gun laws for the anti-gun forces to get any traction.

In the aftermath of the Democrats' slaughter in the mid-term elections after Clinton got his Assault Weapons Ban, Bill Clinton ruefully noted that the NRA is the most effective lobbying organization in the U.S. Those who still haven't joined... those who are still on the fence would do well to take note of that and help the cause. But joining should be more than carrying a card. The subject matter of this thread is proof that you can be a member and not be involved enough to know the positions of NRA, and why. We have to be informed in order to counter deception. We should never cower and avoid saying what is true in fear that the truth may push someone away. We got our freedoms from fighting for them, not from being lulled into negotiations with liars and those who would steal our Civil Rights under the guise of security.

But that's why some of us have been touting the importance of bringing kids and women and non-shooters into the sport. The excitement and enthusiasm of a kid that has just fired a shotgun and maybe broke a number of clays after proper training and coaching will erase years of anti-gun indoctrination. You can bet they will share that enthusiasm with friends. When he or she sees that the gun is a tool made of wood and steel, and can't in and of itself do evil, it will hit them that maybe they've been lied to. Then perhaps, they will come to realize that they are being lied to about other things like our national debt, socialized medicine, taxes, and a whole litany of the Liberal feel-good things that are dragging us down as a nation.

I went to a gun show yesterday and was pleased to see the largest number of women I have ever seen, and they weren't there for the Indian jewelery. The increase in female attendance was more than just noticeable, it was striking. There were two tables run by pro-gun rights organization collecting signatures on petitions demanding no infringements on our gun rights. One was "manned" by four women, and the other was half women. They were taking reservations for busses to transport gun owners to our State House on April 23 for a Gun Rights Rally that I plan to attend. Those I spoke with were very passionate about this assault on our rights. I wish a few of our members here shared their determination and enthusiasm. None of them would be whining about a thread such as this going on.

King Brown, I know you weren't ignoring me. I said you were pretending to ignore me. Big difference. You started that game right after you falsely accused me of putting words in your mouth, and I called you out on it, with proof. I thought your response then was fueled by an excess of estrogen. Quoting your lame response to me today, craigd noted your disingenuous behavior. Of course you had an equally lame excuse in your reply to him. Again. So don't give me any sermons on misrepresentation or contributing in good faith. Even your response here is just another example of rudely hurling insults under a thin veneer of verbosity. You may not use foul language, but you are no stranger to clever rudeness, insults, and ignorance. Don't worry about becoming corrupted by my manners. You were corrupt long before I came on the scene. Dishonesty still ain't civility. Nice try.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, those are hopeful indicators that you reference. Because I don't live in the US, perhaps my understanding lacks the tempering that exposure to the citizenry would provide to the biased message of the MSM.

I completely agree that one way to combat the lies is exposure and that it the responsibility of each of us to introduce and involve as many non shooters as we can.

My point about the specific politicians, Obama, Feinstein etc is that they can and will be replaced. The only question is by who? As many on here and elsewhere understand, the campaign to replace each of them should have begun the day they were elected.

What amazes me is the in-fighting that allows the real enemy to slip up the middle and win the election. People who stay home on Election Day because their "guy" didn't get the nomination. People who think voting once every four years (federally) is sufficient effort. People who let the lack of "perfection" in the candidate or platform stop them from contributing to advancing the cause.

King's right about one thing Keith. To protect ourselves from the lies and idiocy of the liberal democrats in both nations, what is required is the proverbial "big tent". The rightness and purity of our intellectual positions is meaningless if our side doesn't win the elections. I'd rather be arguing every day with LD, jOe and others here and elsewhere over the details and nuances of what our conservative governments should be doing than fighting to stop the inanity of the liberal democrats in power.

What is sufficient is what gets the job done.

Page 25 of 29 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.