April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (montenegrin, SKB), 811 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315513 02/27/13 10:22 PM
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would like the history or the 1800's up

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might as well start early. I really like "Essay On Shooting", 1795, available on Google Books and reprints. Another is "The Gun" by W. Greener, 1835 (not his son W.W. Greener). Both books are indispensable primary sources. Of course "The Gun And Its Development by W.W. Greener has extensive material but, in my opinion, does not replace the two earlier volumes.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/28/13 09:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own these. It is hard to limit it to a single book. The history is different for each country.

http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Bibiliography.html

Pete

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks got several ordered. I want to understand the process but didn'that I need to know to know every tiny detail.After reading some of Greener's book on line I am more intrested in the detail.I see why a Dumb guy like me needs an expert to look at a gun.There seemed to be a lot of tricks to the trade of hiding flaws making barrels that a common collector has no clue of.I personally don't see how they did it to the perfection that they did with primitive means. I see the same thing with jewelry making in my industry.We have a lot of gadgets that help a jeweler that has adverage skills look good.Same with some of our hand engraving.
Monty

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty: This is probably the best extremely short version of methodology.

Sporting Guns and Gunpowders: Comprising a Selection from Reports of Experiments, and Other Articles Published in The "Field" Newspaper, Relative to Fire Arms and Explosives Fredrick Toms 1897
From The Field Jan. 15, 1896 Vol 91, p. 91
http://books.google.com/books?id=inQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA335&lpg

A. - Damascus metal is a mechanical mixture of steel and iron.
B. - This mixture is affected in the following way: A number of small thin sheets of iron and steel (alternees), being placed alternately (faggotted or piled), are firmly wired or boxed together (forming the lopin or billet), heated in a furnace, and welded into a solid mass.
C. – The mass is then rolled out into long thin square bars or rods.
D. – The rods are then cut up into convenient pieces.
E. – Each piece is then heated and placed in a machine, in which one end of the piece is fixed, and the piece is rotated from the other end – the result being that the piece is twisted or corkscrewed very finely.
F. – The rods are rolled of various thicknesses, according to the number of rods in the particular barrels to be made. The finer the barrels are required, the smaller is the diameter of the rods, and the greater the number of rods required for a barrel.
G. – Two, three, four, or six rods are then taken, and are heated and welded together at the sides. Thus is made a flat strip, a little more than two, three, four, or six times wider than a single rod.
H. – Damascus barrels are made usually in two parts, fore part and back part, the back part being made of thicker metal than the fore part.
I. – This is done to avoid having to roll the strip taper from end to end, and to enable the welder to “jump” the barrel more powerfully than he would be able to “jump” a full length barrel.
J. – The strip is heated and rolled into a ribbon (ribband).
K. – This ribbon is cut into convenient lengths, one length sufficient for a fore part or back part, as the case may be.
L. – The ribbon is then (either with or without being heated) twisted round a round rod (mandrel) in a machine, and thus formed into a spiral tube.
M. – The spiral tube is then heated and welded by “jumping” the edges of the spiral together and hammering round the sides. This process is generally effected thus: an iron rod is inserted into one end of the spiral, and spiral placed in furnace, and when heated sufficiently, the welder withdraws the spiral from the furnace by means of the rod, and places it horizontally under a specially-made trip hammers, and “jumps” it hard vertically on an iron block let into the hearth floor, in order to force the edges of the spiral together. The hammering and “jumping” are repeated alternately as many times as required. The spiral is thus made into a rough tube. The tilt-hammer is not always employed; hand-made barrels being made by a welder and one or two strikers using welding hand-hammers.
N. – The two tubes, fore part and back part, are then heated at their joining ends and welded into one, and they then form a finished rough tube.
O. – It will be seen that
(1) The essential factor of Damascus is steel.
(2) That the various processes are effected with the object of interlacing the fibres of the metal and directed their length round the barrel instead of in a line with the rest of the barrel; so that, should the barrel burst, the fracture may follow the direction of the fibres and be impeded also by the interlacing of the fibres and the two metals, instead of being from end to end of the barrel, as it might be in case the fibres of metal run in straight line with the length of the barrel.
(3) A Damascus barrel is heated many times.
(4) The welding surfaces (a) of the thin plates, (b) of the twisted rods, (c) of the spiral, (d) of the two tubes, back part and fore part, into one.
(5) In each of these processes parts of the tube are liable to be over-heated and the steel in them then damaged.
(6) In each of these processes small imperfections in the welding are possible and most often occur. Those defects are often invisible til the barrel is finished or nearly finished, and, although the barrel may be perfectly safe, they are unwelcome eyesores to both buyer and seller of a gun.

Much more here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xylidcizmxlYC66XHUDLpQFtU6gi9WyXSkTayKKWCXc/edit

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/28/13 09:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeweler, don't forget this movie, made from original early film. This is when they were actually doing the work. http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Movie.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

DAMASCUS STEEL by Manfred Sachse was my primer

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have seen the short movie clip I guess I'll have to buy it. It is cool to me. I have several books comming from above.Lots of info to learn and the more I learn seems the less I know.I am sure that there has been a lot of info lost in 100 plus years. I think I read on the Damascus page that they stoped making barrels in England in 1907 or around there so the guys that made them were born in the 1880's or younger.

monty

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.