April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (bbman3, Der Ami, HMAK, Sun Dog, 1 invisible), 438 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#315544 02/28/13 01:41 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those of you who shoot BPE doubles, besides loading nitro-for-black, do you actually load blackpowder cartridges?

If so, what brand powder do you favor and what grade (FFg, FFFg etc)do you use?

Much Obliged - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

I wouldn't suggest you use any modern Nitro Powder in these old rifles. The original Nitro for BP rifle rounds were made in the early days of Nitro powder evolution specifically Cordite manufacture. If you stay with BP you and your rifle will be safe.

I have little doubt others may disagree, that's their prerogative but I didn't get to 70 years of age by taking chances when loading ammo. Ive loaded many BP cartridges over the last 50+ years. The larger the calibre the coarser the powder grain is the rule of thumb. I'd suggest FG or FFg for rifles, FFFG for pistols and FFFFG for flintlock frizzen pans. As to brand, it seems you have to take what you can get these days, but I'd suggest you stay with genuine BP rather than the substitutes that are around. My prefered powder was Curtis and Hardy's No.6, sadly no longer made. Today in Britain I believe most of our BP is sourced from Spain.

The thing to remember with older firearms is, that steel doesn't improve with age like fine wine, so don't maltreat the old girl.

Harry.

Last edited by Harry Eales; 02/28/13 05:15 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Birthday Harry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you dig out the Graeme Wright book, he says FF for the 450 and 500 BPE.

Best wishes for you Birthday also Harry!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
Happy Birthday Harry.

Thank you Mike, all financial donations gratefully received. lol.

Harry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AkMike1
If you dig out the Graeme Wright book, he says FF for the 450 and 500 BPE.

Best wishes for you Birthday also Harry!

Cheers Mike, actually I'm 21 with an additional 49 years of experience. PMSL.

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really??

I'm 21 also but I started counting backwards when I hit the 40 mark!

Cheers Harry!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Swiss 1 1/2 in my 450 Holland.I have tried Goex ff,it's about 100 fps slower than Swiss in my rifle.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blackpowder is getting harder and harder to purchase. I agree with Glenz Swiss 1 1/2 or 2 ff for most all cartridges, even the big bores. Kik is also a good strong BP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
Happy Birthday Harry.

Thanks Mike, sorry I appear to have overlooked you yesterday, No offence meant and I hope none taken.

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

No problem. I'm used to being overlooked, that's the way I like it. lol

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc: I did a lot of testing with my 450-3.25" BPE before the first EEDRC match was held just over ten years ago. Rules are black only, cast pb bullets (no checks) and NO cleaning between shots while at a of the multiple shooting position, 10 shots was the longest in a 40 shot match. This one got everyone with Swiss unless they really did their homework and had a lot of lube, which means less room for powder in the case. I did my testing at my local range with 2F, Swiss, Lido, Dragoon, KIK and Goex. (no cartridge powder then). What I found was Swiss left a very hard residue and in a clean bore it did great, after that things went off the 2' paper at 50yards. I concluded that the cheapest, dirtiest powder (Lido) left the 'moistest' residue and I could shoot 10 shots (5x5) without cleaning and without much loss in group size. This also allowed me to get 120gr of 2F in the case.
I shoot paper patch bullet in a Henry rifled hammered double.

Rick W #315791 03/02/13 12:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you VERY much, Rick, for telling me your experiences with loading blackpowder in the specified cartridge cases, as well as Mr Glenz, PM (BTW, I get BP from a couple places, no trouble), and Harry (although Harry I take your admonishments with a grain of 4198. Also assure you I've always shot nothing but Black, no subs in my cellar).

Perhaps I should mention that I already know what Graeme Wright has used, in fact he even wrote a book with a whole chapter on what he loaded, and Happy Birthday to all, which I guess was the real topic of this thread after all. Big Fat smooches coming your way.

PM #316284 03/05/13 01:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PM
Blackpowder is getting harder and harder to purchase. I agree with Glenz Swiss 1 1/2 or 2 ff for most all cartridges, even the big bores. Kik is also a good strong BP.
I have heard that both centerfire rifle and pistol amoo in certain calibers is getting hard to find, but I didn't know blackpowder was- I have a 16 ounce red and white logo cannister of GOEX, INC in FFg- I have an older Colt Navy C&B- but I don't load and shoot it today--I'd be glad to sell it at a fair market price, but it cannot be shipped VIA UPS or USPS--legend on rear side near base reads- Manufactured by GOEX, Inc. EXPLOSIVES DIVISION, BELIN PLANT MOOSIC, PENNSYLVANIA, 18507. U.S.A.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You might get $17 - $25. But it's illegal for a private party to sell through the mail. You don't need $17 - 25$ that much, do you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.