April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, Lloyd3, NCTarheel, 1 invisible), 824 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#315096 02/24/13 08:37 PM
Gnomon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone intentionally removed the case colors from a shotgun receiver to intentionally turn it into a bright surface?

I am contemplating buying a sidelock that I would prefer to have in dull silver finish rather than the case colors it now has.

If someone has done this I would appreciate learning how they did it.

thank you

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do it regularly. It is quite easy. I use lapping compound on a soft cotton rag and rub lightly. It does not take much to remove the colors. The whole unit must be thoroughly cleaned afterward. Not complicated, but time consuming.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scotchbrite,,the maroon or gray colored pads will leave a nice finish.
A fine wire wheel will make quick work of it. Coat the surface with oil first and use light pressure and you'll have that nice 'burnished' look.

Any chemical that removes bluing will remove case colors. But disassembly, dunking, rinsing, oiling and reassembly is required.

The others are less messy and time consuming. You can leave colors on the inside and protected areas with them too if you want to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can protect engraving from most "wash-out" by using a stiff backer behind a very thin abrasive carrying cloth or paper and using light pressure. Directionally, courser grit is duller and fine grit is more shiny.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you get the color off could you mail it to me? I would kill to have nice colors on the polished action of the gun I'm working on now.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gnonon
I have taken a gu that had limited CC in a few spots. Hit it with glass beads the finished with clear finish. Makes a nice "in the white" finish

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

dif ernt strokes fer dif ernt folks...guess hits ok, so long as you do hit rat!

Last edited by ed good; 02/25/13 04:29 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Give your hero Barack Obama a few more years and he will remove the case colors along with the whole gun. End of problem.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fine, green Puma knife polish will do it. I generally use a small muslin wheel on a dremel tool. A stiff backed pad might be better as advised above for flat surfaces, but will be no help if you have deep relief engraving. Start with absolutely fine polish--it doesn't take much, and I would be afraid anything coarser would just make more work (and damage?) to finely polish it out. Storing it in direct sunlight will erase, but not polish it over the years, but you'll likely not wait around for that!...Steve

Gnomon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for all the constructive help!

If I get the gun I'll keep it a while until I'm certain I really do want to remove the case color, then will try some very fine abrasive as suggested.

Hoof - Do you want any specific color or would you like them all? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.