April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, Jimmy W, Hammergun, buckstix, Argo44, j7l2, 1 invisible), 264 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,039
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You may recall my problem. Baikal doble rifle that shot 5" to 9" vertically seperated. Sent back to Fl and they blew me off!

Fixed it myself. No messing with shims, they didn't work. Made a "convincer" bar to rotate the barrels and got out my torch. I pretty much have it done. I will shot some more groups at 75 yards. But here is a typical 50 yard group. I think I pulled the one shot. These were the last after 20 or so shots. Recoil is worse than my .375 H & H CZ. (I added a 3/4" x 5" bolt in the stock for weight and better balance).

Now I just have to re-work the triggers, install a front sight in the center of the barrels (not off to one side) plus put a recoil reducer in it.

BTW the target was shot with a Bushnell red dot sight. I really like red dots for close in work.

Jerry

Last edited by Gerald A. Mele; 02/20/13 02:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hallelujah!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Hump

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gerald A. Mele
Thanks Hump
Barnes 300 grainers I get- but the acronym SOCOM (military meaning Special Ops. Command-think Seals, SF, USMC Recon, Delta Force, etc) has me baffled? Also, what is the caliber of this Russki double express rifle? double triggers- pull weight is?? ejectors or extractors? Overall weight of weapon in hand--Thanks

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose the double to be a 45/70 and the Barnes 300gr socom to have been designed for use in the 458 SOCOM cartridge and an AR-15.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun is the "typical" IZH Baiakal double rifle that for a while never seemed to make it to this county in any numbers. Then Remington was to import them and still they did not make it into the US in manny numbers. Finally back under EA (European American Imports) They are making it into this country. They are soild but a bit crude. Double triggers with a very heavy pull. The barrels are not joind along their length. At the end one barrel is rigidly attached to a piece that has a slightly oversized hole which allows the jack screw back about 1/3 of the way toward the breech move the barrel for horizontal regulation. The top and bottom ribs are light gauge and removable. The sights are primitive but work. The problem with some is that the front sight is sometimes not properly centered! (Like mine) The wood is plain, the finish is thin and the length of pull is short. I am told some shoot right on and other have the same vertical misaignment mine had.

So you ask, why would anyone buy one.... the answer is for the price it is just something to play with. I bought mine so I could compete in our CA side by side all chapter gathering once a year in Coarsegold. Took second place last year.. I am going to win this year!

Actually, I am having fun with it now that it shoots better. I am going to put a recoil reducer in the stock, put a decent finish on it and some better iron sights. Work over the triggers. Maybe take it out an kill a hog with it.

In my part of the peoples republic of CA, no lead is allowed, hence the barnes bullet. I want it regulated for something I can hunt with. The Socom bullet is essentially the 300 gr barnes with a plastic tip. I think it was made for the 450 bushmaster. Barnes says the tip will make it open at lower velocity that the standard 300 grain .45 caliber bullet.

Jerry

BTW the wholesale for about $700

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, When you "persuaded" it which way did you torque the barrels?

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The right barrel was higher than the leftso I twisted the set clockwise

Jerry

My persuader was a 3' x 1" flatbar with to bolts that fit into the barrels so I could torque the two at one time.

Made a witness mark on the barrel muzle and went at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!

Did you heat the barrels before twisting?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes,
I could see the solder lowing out of the joint. I jst hope enough remains to keep them in place.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.