May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, skeettx, SKB, Marks_21, AGS, 1 invisible), 856 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,387
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've seen the poodle stuff in my search, what a kick in the pants! I've actually hunted with a visla who was great, but that was back in my pre-allergy days. How do they do with us sniffily folks?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm allergic as well. I have to take antihystamines if I'm even going into a house with a dog. Can anyone tell me how to find a Poodle that's from actual hunting stock and can they be trained to flush Quail?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From what I've seen they are good on waterfowl, and are flushing and retrieving dogs (including retrieving on doves).

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not easy to find and may not be any hunting stock per se in the U.S. but the Lagotto Romagnolo is supposed to be easy on allergies, no shed, and could make a good flusher and retriever. I know someone who has one as purely a hose pet and can confirm the no shed aspect.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got to look that one up (never heard of it before). My research has narrowed it down to German shorthair or pudelpointer, but the jury is still out on the actual hypoallergenic factor on these two breeds. I'm mildly concerned about keeping such high-energy dogs around the house, but I'm still early into the research. I'd rather not get a "big going" dog, so something that stays close is still the goal. Don't want to bump too many ruffies! If pointers won't work, then maybe a hunting poodle?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/11/13 09:55 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ironman5- Thankyou! I am a third as well. My son is legally a forth, but he goes by a nickname his mother gave him so the line is threatened! Looked up the Spinoni. Another great dog that I'd never heard of. Probably out of my league, but super nice in that it reportedly has an easy pace and it stays close.

jmc-The Lagotto Romagnolo ie "the lake dog from Romagna" looks way cool. If you have one you can even go into the truffle business when hunting season ends. No mention of it's hypoallergenic nature, but it looks alot like the Portuguese Water Dog which is reportedly allergy neutral.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/11/13 10:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would check on the Vizslas and allergies. Every one I have hunted with has been grand, and two were also house dog/pets with great temperment.
P.S.
Says here that Vizslas are the original hypoallergenic dog.
http://www.care.com/family-pet-guide-dogs-sporting-vizsla-p1104-q168399.html
I don't know that I agree with that chewing stuff. My buddy left his in the house when he was at work and it never chewed anything. His Golden before that tried to eat everything, including the kitchen sink.

Last edited by Virginian; 02/11/13 10:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd3 - I think you have a dilemma. I've fussed with Field Bred Springers, and Labs for about 30 years, so I'm a bit of a traditionalist. It's my opinion that the lesser-known breeds being mentioned here are lesser know for a reason - on average, they aren't as successful as the popular breeds. If they were, they would be more popular. Not to say you can't get a great dog from one of the less popular breeds, but it is a game of probabilities, and IMHO the deck is stacked against you. From what I have heard, the labradoodle or goldendoodle may be a good choice

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

tudurgs- I suspect that you're onto something. I am almost a complete neophyte when it comes to good dogs (mine have been mostly pets and mutts). So, this is a brave new world for me. What helps is having a 9-year old campaigning (almost daily) for another dog, and....it would be very nice to have one that is dual-use. This allergy thing really limits my choices, but I figured that if there was any collection of folks who would know something about upland bird hunting dogs, it would be the denizens of this forum.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What little I've learned fits with what Tudurgs said. Also, a "big running dog" can be trained to hunt close and big on command. Training a dog to hunt bigger or faster than it naturally hunts is like pushing on a rope.

I think you're on the right track with a GSP for a good breed that can do it all with speed, enthusiasm, and be a good companion. The allergy issue is something I just deal with. Frankly, I don't think there is such a thing as a hypoallergenic dog. It isn't the hair that's the issue. It's the dander.

If you're a novice like me, I recommend you consider buying a trained dog from a reputable bird dog trainer. I did and I'm glad I did.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.