April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (David Williamson, AGS, Ted Schefelbein, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 919 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,177
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA I envy you. I would love to have the time and not live in CA Condor Country so I could produce my own bullets. You work looks very nice.

Maybe when I retire... or my kids become self sufficient....(and I leave CA)
would love to see some load in my cabinet for my 35 whelen and my .375 H & H and... well I could go on forever a bit....

Jerry

Last edited by Gerald A. Mele; 01/23/13 01:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24,
Good show.
Mike

postoak Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bghntr416 – Thank you for the tip on Woodleigh .318 Bullets I found them at Miday I had no idea that Woodleigh made anything other than Large Calibers.

Jani – thank you for your report on the 8x57 Remington Bullets. RWS doesn’t seem to have much of a Distributer network in the US – I have not found a source for the .318 bullets.
Der Ami – What do you use to swage the bullets with? In the past I have swaged or resized Cast bullets but never Jacketed Bullets.
Kutter – Very good information, thanks for the tip on the dies and the lower velocities. If I could get 2200 FPS that will be A-OK for my purposes – with the open sights this will be a 150 yard or under shooter. And I think that would be in the 32 Winchester Special Envelope?
PA24 – Thank you for the valuable information about the Bullet Molds, following someone else’s experiences with what Mould/Bullets worked for them helps tremendously! I am set up for bullet casting and did a little of it 30 years ago mostly for handguns, but I did fool around with .30 Carbine and 30-06 Cast Bullets with mixed results. I will hold off on the Cast Bullets for now. My next Rifle to load for is a 9x57 Mauser Sporter and that will definitely be with Cast Bullets.
NTaxiarchis – thanks for the tip on the Buffalo Bore Bullets – I am going to give them a try also.

I have ordered some Redding 8x57 dies.

Last edited by postoak; 02/02/13 11:12 AM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
bghntr416 – Thank you for the tip on Woodleigh .318 Bullets I found them at Miday I had no idea that Woodleigh made anything other than Large Calibers.

Jani – thank you for your report on the 8x57 Remington Bullets. RWS doesn’t seem to have much of a Distributer network in the US – I have not found a source for the .318 bullets.
Der Ami – What do you use to swage the bullets with? In the past I have swaged or resized Cast bullets but never Jacketed Bullets. lET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED SOME BRASS- i just picked up an Ankara Turkish Mauser 1945 era- 28" barrel,. nice shape good bore- With the rifle came: a Mauser issue bayonet with metal scabbard- which fits and releases just fine- 100 rounds Greek military ball ammo in 5 rd. brass stripper clips and WW2 blue cloth bandolier- and about 40-50 loose fired rounds from this rifle with some strippers- and 2 boxes of Rem Core-Lokt commercial factory 8mm- I can't ship the unfired military rounds, but the empties, bandolier and the bayonet I can, and will be for sale-- I am going to use it with the Remmie Core-Lokt rounds for coyote and feral pigs--with the open sights--sweet smooth action Mauser-
Kutter – Very good information, thanks for the tip on the dies and the lower velocities. If I could get 2200 FPS that will be A-OK for my purposes – with the open sights this will be a 150 yard or under shooter. And I think that would be in the 32 Winchester Special Envelope?
PA24 – Thank you for the valuable information about the Bullet Molds, following someone else’s experiences with what Mould/Bullets worked for them helps tremendously! I the set up for bullet casting and did a little of it 30 years ago mostly for handguns, but I did fool around with .30 Carbine and 30-06 Cast Bullets with mixed results. I will hold off on the Cast Bullets for now. My next Rifle to load for is a 9x57 Mauser Sporter and that will definitely be with Cast Bullets.
NTaxiarchis – thanks for the tip on the Buffalo Bore Bullets – I am going to give them a try also.

I have ordered some Redding 8x57 dies.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
postoak Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RWTF - I could use some of the Stripper Clips.

Hang on to the Bayonet for finishing off the Pigs or as use as a Boar Spear ! smile

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
RWTF - I could use some of the Stripper Clips.

Hang on to the Bayonet for finishing off the Pigs or as use as a Boar Spear ! smile
Ok- will save you a bunch--your only cost will be the postage from here to the Lone Star State- Your suggestion about the bayonet is a good one- reminds me of a story by the late Robert C. Ruark-- the Old man's Boy grows Older- about a "pig-sticking "safari" in NC- back in the day--

Sidelock
Sidelock

To size .321" bullets to .318", I use a "ring sizing die",which I have had for many years.This type sizing die was(still may be)avaliable from bullet swaging die manufacturers,such as Corbin.The die body accepts replacable sizing "rings",avaliable in various sizes, and easy to make in whatever diameter you want.The die is threaded 7/8-14 to fit normal reloading presses, and comes with a punch that fits the "ram" to force the bullets through the die.It's easy enough to make a solid die for one diameter,threaded to fit the press.Now,LEE Precision makes a similar system for sizing cast bullets to be "tumble lubed", but can be used for jacketed bullets(limit sizing to .005" and use appropriate lube).I'm not sure what diameters the LEE dies are avaliable in.To size .003",takes so little force, it is possible the common Lyman or RCBS cast bullet sizing equipment could be used.I have never tried it, but would guess you would need a well fitting top punch and would need to lube the bullets with an appropriate lube before sizing.It shouldn't be necessary to empty the lube reservoir,just don't use it.
RWTF
Keep the ammo and brass. If you don't need it now, you may later, or maybe your great grandchildren will.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
To size .321" bullets to .318", I use a "ring sizing die",which I have had for many years.This type sizing die was(still may be)avaliable from bullet swaging die manufacturers,such as Corbin.The die body accepts replacable sizing "rings",avaliable in various sizes, and easy to make in whatever diameter you want.The die is threaded 7/8-14 to fit normal reloading presses, and comes with a punch that fits the "ram" to force the bullets through the die.It's easy enough to make a solid die for one diameter,threaded to fit the press.Now,LEE Precision makes a similar system for sizing cast bullets to be "tumble lubed", but can be used for jacketed bullets(limit sizing to .005" and use appropriate lube).I'm not sure what diameters the LEE dies are avaliable in.To size .003",takes so little force, it is possible the common Lyman or RCBS cast bullet sizing equipment could be used.I have never tried it, but would guess you would need a well fitting top punch and would need to lube the bullets with an appropriate lube before sizing.It shouldn't be necessary to empty the lube reservoir,just don't use it.
RWTF
Keep the ammo and brass. If you don't need it now, you may later, or maybe your great grandchildren will.
Mike
Thanks- I will. Few retailers stock the Rem 8mm Mauser (.323) Core-Lokt, Cabela's has it in the Master Catalog but you have to call customer service to get the ordering codes- but it seems to be around here priced about the same as the Rem Core-Lokt 180 in 30-06. I am looking forward to shooting it- will use up the 154 ball military stuff( looks like Greek ammo) and leave it 'as is"-- Did some research on the various Mauser websites- this is a 1944 (by serial number) Turkish Ankara M98- with the 29" barrel, and the earlier "Lange Visier" (long range) roller elevator rear sight just ahead of the receiver ring on the barrel- starting "zero" is aprox 400 meters- and these were accurate out to 800 plus meters- before CQC and the bloody trench warfare of WW1- troops would fire in volleys on command from an officer, against approaching mounted calvary troops- the concept of that form of warfare was to take out the enemies' horses at long range, and be reloaded in rank and file to finish off the oncoming foot troops (de-horsed I guess)--before they got too close. Those soldiers must have had eagle eyes, that front sight blade is like a mosquito's backbone-- but I am not going to 'sporterize' it at all- and at 9.35 lbs. unloaded and w/o the bayonet, then adding the bayonet to that plus the almost 50" OAL- indeed, a "pig-sticker" supreme---

Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24...nice bullets, very nice. I'm pretty much a "cast bullet only" shooter. And, they're even better over black powder.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sharps4590
PA24...nice bullets, very nice. I'm pretty much a "cast bullet only" shooter.

Thank you Jerry, Mike and sharps4590.....

Me too, 45-70 on down with a few exceptions where I alternate cast and jacketed, except for my 22-250 which is jacketed only because of velocity near 3700 FPS, but I do shoot some cast with the .338 Win Mag, .348 Win and .270, alternating with jacketed ......... I cast for the other 15 or so, most of them all pre-1910 loadings and calibers.......

45-70 SAECO mould, 405 grain lino gas checked, launched at 1700 to 1850 FPS out of a Pedersoli Sharps Billy Dixon 32" and a Browning 1886 rifle.........

Two .45 Colt castings, one Lyman round nose 239 grains with lino, the other 220 grains with lino out of a Lee mould.....rifle and revolver.......

Best,

Doug

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.