April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (KY Jon, CJ Dawe, j7l2, earlyriser, 3 invisible), 967 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,119
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

My son is a book collector like I am. He happened to visit a local library's book sale recently and picked up a book he thought I would be interested in. The book is The American Shotgun by Charles Askins. It has a 1910 copyright and this particular edtion was reprinted in 1930 by the MacMillan Company in New York. This is a great book. It seems to address many of the questions and topics that find their way to this forum. Probably many of you are familiar with this book, but it is a new find to me. I have to tell you that I am really delighted with it. Maybe this book has been more recently reprinted since 1930. If it has not, it should be.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Last edited by Ed Pirie; 01/10/08 10:13 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having grown up totally torn between the writings of the two Idaho scribes -- Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith, I'm now a big fan of the writings of Askins Sr. Don't much care for Jr. The American Shotgun is the first of his books I got. I now also have Modern Shotguns and Loads, Game Bird Shooting, Shotgun-ology, and a slew of Western Cartridge Co. pamphlets on their Super-X shotgun shells that he wrote. The Captains tie in with the development of the Super-Fox I've had since I was 17, doesn't hurt either.

You might find this lengthy thread from Shotgun World on Capt Askins Superposed interesting --

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124719

Last edited by Researcher; 01/10/08 11:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Askins the elder achieved the rank of major. he may have been a captain when some of the books were written. i think it's customary to refer to officers by the rank they ultimately attained.

i must be one of the few people who actually likes askins the younger. provided i'm reading what he actually wrote instead of what his editors changed it to.

OP Offline

I have no way of knowing whether this book is the work of the elder or junior Askins. The title page and copyright are in the name of "Charles Askins," no military rank indicated. Perhaps the original copyright of 1910 would determine which Askins is the author. I mean no disrespect by not referring to a military rank as I am not aware of the proper rank of the author or whether this book is written by the non-rank bearing Askins.
A "junior" or "senior" is not indicated in the book.

Anyway, for those of you familiar with this work, I am sure you would agree that it is helpful and is a good resource. Like I said, I am tickled with this find.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Sidelock
Sidelock

The American Shotgun was written before Charles Askins Sr was in the service in WW-I and achieved the rank of Captain. I'm not sure when he was promoted to Major. Did he do some service in WW-II as well?
Col. Charles Askins (October 28, 1907 - March 2, 1999) Havent found dates for Pop yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you believe what you think you read, the Colonel was never anything else. It is possible that Colonel Askins entered the military at an advanced rank because of his position in the gun world. This was a rather common situation in wartime. I think the Colonel entered the military at an advanced stage of his career judging from discussion that took place on the shotgunworld thread discussing the discovery of his father's Super in a Texas gun store. Some time ago, I created a time line for Townsend Whelen's rise through the ranks, discussed at some length on some gun forum. It would take your breath away until you realize that his position in the "gun world" put him in a unique position of leadership in the WW1 era, probably similar to Colonel Askins' situation in WW2. Regardless of protocol about rank and title, Major Askins is often referred to as The Captain since many of his writings in the gun press were written when he wore two bars.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The son was in the border patrol before his army career and was also a serious competitive pistol shooter it wouldnt suprise me if he entered the army with the rank of Colonel during WW2, he was also in Nam before that conflict got busy. The father was by far the better writer and owned the same 10ga NID as Elmer Keith he was more of a shotgun guy although Jr did like spanish shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed,

I've had a copy of this book for many years, and there's lots of good stuff there. I know you will enjoy it; good find!

Fin

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being a fan of the 16 gauge here is my favorite Askins Senior quote:

"For my own use, if I could own but one gun, that one would be a 16 bore, 6-3/4 pounds weight, 30 inch barrels, one barrel modified and the other full choke, and I'd be liable to say, 'Get thee behind me Satan for you cannot tempt me any further."

That was from Modern Shotguns and Loads

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/10/08 06:11 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I am familiar with this book as I have what is very probably a first edition. Mr. Askins, the senior, lived in Oklahoma near or in the town of Ames. Askins Jr. was born in 1907 so the author of this book had to be Askins Sr. My grandfather, John Overton Hughes, was a friend of Mr. Askins and is featured in pictures in the latter part of the book in the chapters on wing shooting.
My grandfather field tested Winchester shotguns during the early part of the 20th century as well as raising championship pointers. My father also knew both the senior and junior Askins.
The book I have is one given to my grandfather by Askins. It is rather worn but interesting to peruse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.