May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (j7l2, SKB, Lloyd3, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,137
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#308929 01/14/13 11:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What actual practical use and value do the cased accessory tools really have?

Do those who have a cased guns use the tools in the case or other cleaning tools on their bench?

Like many I have lusted for a beautiful oak and leather Huey case with all the accessories. In sitting in Huey's shop I was in awe of the beautiful set ups. I have to ask myself in commissioning a case with all the accessories if I would real use them or are they just eye candy.

Last edited by old colonel; 01/14/13 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think back in the day they were first included they made perfect sense. A shooter traveling a distance to hunt would have the equipment handy to clean and maintain the gun. With corrosive primers prompt cleaning was important and if something went wrong you did not get in the SUV and run to the nearest gun shop

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
What actual practical use and value do the cased accessory tools really have?

Do those who have a cased guns use the tools in the case or other cleaning tools on their bench?

Like many I have lusted for a beautiful oak and leather Huey case with all the accessories. In sitting in Huey's shop I was in awe of the beautiful set ups. I have to ask myself in commissioning a case with all the accessories if I would real use them or are they just eye candy.

The tools and accessories are as practical as the Huey case...very beautiful, very well made, but very impractical to use. I use screw drivers (guess we're really speaking of "turnscrews") that I have ground to fit my guns, I carry my guns in a case that will withstand the rigors of airline travel, carry the small amount of cleaning stuff I need for the trip in my check bag (part of which is in the traveling case.

I love the look and feel of a nice case, nice tools and accessories, but see very little practical value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to drive rather than fly. The stuff in my case is there for a reason and gets used. Nothing like having the right tools along for an old gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An interesting topic and one that I have tossed about in my head on several occasions. I do not have a really nice oak and leather case of the type described with oil bottles, etc, but I sure have looked at them and come close to getting one or two for a select few of my very best guns. However, like GF1 stated, I have instead invested in more substantial, airline-gorilla-proof cases. I sure do enjoy looking at them though. I guess a lot of the allure is probably a longing for the era when they were in fact practical as described in another post also.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The weekend shooting party was (and still is) the highlight of the Victorian / Edwardian high society. Your matched pair of guns would be returned to the gun room in your hosts country house where your loader/valet would clean the guns for you. It was necessary to have all the relevant cleaning rods and fittings to suitably clean your guns so i t was importantto have everything to hand in the motor case.
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer leg-o-mutton leather case to long gun case sometimes because of better protection in the truck, taking up smaller space. I can't imagine submitting one of those exquisite wooden cases to any kind of travelling. Accessories: pull-through and oily cloth although push-rod and brushes there if needed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep in mind that during this golden era of shooting fine motor cars often were equipped with tools sometimes in fitted cases. Again; I expect the reality was you could well end up quite a distance from an automotive repair facility and these were considered necessities at that time.
I look at the tools in a nicely fitted case as a reminder of those more gentelmanly times and an era the likes of which we'll never see again.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
I look at the tools in a nicely fitted case as a reminder of those more gentelmanly times and an era the likes of which we'll never see again.
Jim

That 'ain't all bad, either. I can toss a good double (or, a model 17 Remington) along with the dog, lunch, thermos, spare boots and socks, in the back of my 96 Roadmaster, light the reactor that is an LT1, and be several counties away in under two hours, hunt public ground to my hearts content, be home in time for dinner, and bring said good double to my bench for the cleaning it needs. I used to bring a spare gun, but, I don't even do that anymore.
If I lived in merry England, I'm pretty sure I'd be the guy who showed up the day after a big driven hunt and did rough shooting. Without a special case and a bunch of bling.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a bunch of lovely cases with various accessories for my own guns and when shooting from home, never use them.
BUT when I go to Scotland or somewhere that will involve a gun clean whilst there, I take the lovely old case, put in all the lovely old accessories and use them as intended.
For me there is little so nice as coming back after a day's shooting (with perhaps little to show for it!) and fortified with a glass of single malt, cleaning and oiling the gun with a chestnut leather gun case gleaming in the fire light on the table before me.
Okay, that is a bit romantic but I have done it and I can still remember the setting and a whiff of No.9 brings it all back!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.