April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, SKB, montenegrin, GETTEMANS, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#308202 01/09/13 09:01 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is this sight also a Rice sight? The ears that hold the adjustment screws look to be machined and not part of a stamping like the other Rice sights I have seen. Is this sight common or an oddity? Thanks, Tom

[img:left]http://s286.beta.photobucket.com/user/thom_davis/library/Krag%20Sight[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the years I have seen a few Rice Type sights all different. It looks like someone copied the Rice with their own refinements.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for help posting the photo. An interesting sight. What are people thoughts on which is the best Krag sight? I ask as I have a new to me Krag sporter on its way with what appears to be the Pacific receiver sight that does not require adding new mounting holes. Are there any issues with this sight?

-Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,

The issue with most Krag receiver sights is the sight has to be raised or removed to remove the bolt for cleaning.

Some have an small adjustment screw that limits the downward adjustment so this can be set and the sight replaced to the same place.

My own Krag has a Rice that I like a lot because it's back by the eye and I can remove the bolt without messing up the sight setting. If I was building a Krag sporter I would put a Lyman bolt peep on it. I like those as well, many don't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Redfield 102 on my sporter and like it. Since there is a need to remove the slide every time I want to clean/inspect the bore, I find myself neglecting this. In thirty years, I have not changed the hundred yard zero, so the slide goes back to the same place every time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having used a Pacific sight years ago on a Krag sporter, I can attest to its efficiency. Removing it periodically to give the bore a good cleaning was never an issue. So what if I had to re-sight in? "Darn it, now I have to go the range again!"

The Rice sight is intriguing but I like to swap out apertures (or use a Merit disc) to meet the challenges of different lighting. The sight pictured here (which I'll guess is craftsman made) negates that with its screw-in aperture.

Like Michael, I would opt for a Lyman 103 cocking knob sight too- if price were no object. As it were, the sight I opted for on my current Krag project is a NIB Lyman 48.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I seem to recall reading or hearing about accuracy with the Lyman 103 being subject to bolt wiggle. Is this not an issue with the Krag, or not really a problem at all? I've never shot one although they sure look preaty neat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many early rifles that used a bolt peep used pins or screws on the bottom of bolt shroud so everything was tight as the bolt closed.

I took my heavy barreled 06 Niedner to the range one day shot a group with the Lyman 48 removed that and tried both Lyman 103 and Lyman No. 1 bolt peep. They all shot to different spots as would be expected but the group size were all about the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This Kirkwood has the pins, the sight is a Rigby style made by Niedner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.