May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ducks Rx, Stanton Hillis, steve f, graybeardtmm3, NCTarheel, 1 invisible), 658 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Brown I find funny you would say that about a wirehair,I've hunted over many breed's like yourself,but quite a few more DD's, I have only seen one who was sharp (three strike's and he was out so to speak ) ,I have heard of quite a few Brit's being so just the same.I 'm mean you still get a cranky fella on a certain day like any other breed

From the one's I've dealt with at hunt test's,and the various breeder's I know aggression is not tolerated and they are hand's down the best behaved dog's I've ever seen,I guess I may have a narrow view of the breed coming from where I do ,but I do know this, the breeder's I know up here in Canada take a great offence to the bred being labeled as sharp.

Maybe we overcompensate on manner training to avoid this ?

All the best ,
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Newf, unless something has changed, DD's--as a requirement to breed--have to pass an aggression test. I believe they have them kill a fox in Germany. At one time, I think it was stray cats here in the States. I had 2 of them go after my dogs several years back, totally unprovoked. The only DD I've hunted with recently (the others being wirehairs, which I think wirehair owners would say is a distinction without a difference, but DD owners would not) is not that way.

I've been around a lot more shorthairs and Britts, and haven't seen similar behavior. My most recent Britt was very much the opposite, in fact . . . except around my setter, which we got several years after we acquired the Britt. Two unfixed boys, I guess. But for whatever reason, the Britt did not like the setter at all--but that was the only time, over the 8 years we owned him, I ever saw any aggression from him.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I believe they have them kill a fox in Germany. At one time, I think it was stray cats here in the States.

Cats?!! Now, that's my kind of dog. One of them would be worth having even if there ain't no more buhds to hunt 'round heah' anymore. smirk

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Com'on Stan. smile I have three tom cats. Best four legged mouse killers on the place. They'll keep the mice out of those peanuts. grin

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The guys I dealt with referred to it as a "hardness test " it's purpose was to confirm the individual dogs reaction to furred predator's ie: fox,raccoon,mink etc,a feral cat is also sometime's used ,but like I said aggression towards other dogs is not encouraged or appreciated in the breeder's I know.

As to the Wirehair /DD thing it's a sometimes heated topic ,Heiko is a Drahthaar, he was breed down from a long,long line of Drahthaars each had to pass strict hunt and conformation tests for the privilege to breed,so I guess that's the distinction there.

As a side note,I didn't run him through the official gamut of testing,just the first two ,has a crooked front tooth which disqualified him from breeding.

So really I guess a dog is a dog is a dog,to each his own in the end ...I adore any dog who point's a game bird,but this guy I have now is like I said earlier, the best I've ever owned ,for me ...because others I imagine have their own view's on what's their favorite.

My best,
Chris

Last edited by Newf; 01/01/13 09:53 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing about them I question is their relatively low price ceiling. They're beautiful guns and their track record for durability is getting impressive to say the least, however can you move them out the door if the price has to go north of $2,000 dollars in order for the business to make a profit selling them?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I remember getting a price list from Commando Arms (who is their dealer in Europe). The same guns that sells as the Dickinsons and S&W Elite had a price tag of $1000. The extractor model was $900.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that was USD.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

In our NAVHDA chapter the UGLY dog is the Grif.

Yes GWP/DD's are "sharpe" but then, when the stray cat population goes away - that's a bad thing????

A guy in our retriever club has a DD male, we were talking about aversion training. He said it didn't work on his male, it was just a mater of how many seconds it was going to take to kill the skunk/porky/snake/small woodland creature he encounterd................ if he found it - it died - quickly

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam:

How many do they want you to buy for an export

John
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good question, John. They werent the best about emailing and the English wasn't too great.

Adam

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.