April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (earlyriser, obsessed-with-doubles, Argo44), 833 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,755
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 37 1 2 33 34 35 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure if I'm on any list - I did PM early on but didn't get a response. I'd rather 12 than 20 - so I might be that one 12 bore gun request. Early on it was mentioned that rifle barrels might be a possibility - I'm guessing that didn't pan out?

I'd love an eight bore too though I'd have no real use for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
ROB ---- Did you check out the survey George posted ? He sent me a report that indicated that there was only two request for the 16 ga.

Ken

Mr. Ken, I just saw the survey, there were only 10 responses, and 7 were for 28/20, 2 two were for 16 & one for 12.

OTOH I just reread the first 10 pages of this thread and came away with 12 requests, two for 28/20's, two requests for 12's and eight requests for 16/20's. (eightbore still wants an eight bore.)

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the feedback Rob. To start with, we'll have to start making the bbl's that are most requested. Cost of developing a CNC program and making fixtures for each ga. is very expensive & will have to be put off until there are enought orders for them. The guesstimated cost of making the first gun and startup cost could be between $75,000 and $100,000. After start up, the cost will plummet --- getting set up is the big cost. There has been discussion of offering to install these 12 & 16 br. bbl's on new Lefever owners gun at a latter date when there are enough orders to justify a run. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

I'm glad to see this threads resurrection from the heap. I hope this reminds folks that the project is still alive and well.

As much as I like the idea of a 20/28, I admit that when Mr. Ken told me of the project I asked about the 16 bore. It would be my first choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Have you decided what grade you are going to produce? Rich

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Have you decided what grade you are going to produce? Rich

Rich
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Richard, the game plan was to make this in a Optimus grade --- with or without gold inlays. Of course, I believe a client should be able to select the engraving pattern/look that trips his trigger. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

The guesstimated cost of making the first gun and startup cost could be between $75,000 and $100,000. After start up, the cost will plummet

You know what, I'll pass on serial #001, anything after that would be fine...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken Hurst and I were reviewing specs for the new Hurst-Lefever shotgun today. We would like to clarify that the Hurst-Lefever shotgun will not be limited only to the Optimus grade model. New guns will be custom made per customer requirements at all price ranges. The customer will have the option to select engraving patterns or none. The customer will supply his own wood for machining and fitting. The new gun will be 100% completed and test fired before shipment from Hurst-Lefever,i.e.,finished metal, barrels blued, stock oil finished and checkered per customer order.

Please note that we continue to move forward with engineering and manufacturing plans at this time.

Okay guys, give me a chance and I'll try and explain the project.

I have wanted to re make the Lefever shotgun but better than the original. To this end, I have arranged to have Steve Earle machine the action & ejector forend. Another friend of Antonio Zolli will be checking with him in the next few days re. 20 ga. bbl's.--- 28 ga. will be available if there is a demand and will be fitted to clients gun on return of same. The idea is to have the bbl action made here using Italian made bbl's.

The action will be made of the best steels available and the machining will be of a level not seen one any American gun ever made --- period ! Our own Doug Mann and Glenn Fewless have seen and handles actions made by Steve Earle and can testify to their high quality. Steve will duplicate the action and improve it by tightening up the tolerances as well as using different steels that are best for their intended purposes. IE -- D2 steel will be used for the sears, hammer and triggers. 8620 will be used for the frame, forearm, trigger guard and top break lever. Steve never sends any of his action or any of their parts for normal heat treating, rather, he sends them to a specialty heat treat shop for best possible quality.

My idea is to offer this bbl action in a way that it will be a bespoken gun. The idea is to eliminate the middle man in order to make the project more affordable. A client would pay Steve directly for the action, another man for the bbl and fitting charges. At the same time he would order either 26" or 28 " bbl and indicate the choke desired. On receiving metal, the new owner could personally select/furnish his wood to stocker with desired dimensions for completion of stock as well as deciding on checkering pattern, finish and type of recoil pad, skeleton butt plate & etc. On completion of these steps, the metal can be sent out for engraving if desired as well as type finish required.

All these steps can be paid for on their completion and time between various steps can be allowed to fit clients budget ( saving a little money for following step).

This is just a rough outline of my proposal and I fully admit to be lacking in this arena. To this end I would appreciate any thought, replies, suggestions or rejections. If there is a lawyer who would like to contribute a few minutes of his time for a few questions, please advise via my email (kenhurst@suddenlink.net). We could certainly use some advice and would appreciate gearing from you.

Okay guys, as Frazier said " I'm listening." Ken

I did not care one wit who did/does what, I loved the idea that a fellow could pick what he wanted done and what he wanted left undone. I wish that had not got lost during all the shuffle.

There are a number of people that don't want a hanger queen, but want a user that fits in more ways than one. Who will ever offer a package like that?

Yes I want to be my own fitter, yes I want to be the guy that sends my gun back to Ken for engraving. Yes I'm the guy that wants total control over every aspect of the finish.

Maybe some day somebody gets the message and will offer that kind of package deal. Just my two cents, and I do not mean to rain on yours or anybody else's parade

Page 35 of 37 1 2 33 34 35 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.