April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (smlekid, Kolar Dickson, canvasback, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,252 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 57 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 56 57
Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

G'day, I have just returned from a five day trip to my cousins station (ranch) 625 mile from my place. His 'block' is 38,000 acres of native scrub that carries no stock at the moment, as he has not restocked since an 8 year drought that ended 2 years ago.
I spent 1 day travelling there, 3 days hunting & 1 day on the return drive.

Wild pigs are just returning to the area, but are hard to find.
The hunting was hard work, I just walked through scrub alone, taking a lot of care so as I didn't get lost. The country is dead flat with no outstanding landmarks & you can't walk a straight line because you are constantly walking around bushes, trees etc. (I must get a GPS!). Weather was very hot and on the last hunting day it reached 109 degrees in the shade.
But yesterday morning (1st Jan) I found what I was looking for; what a way to start the new year! The hard work was worth it. Not just a pig, but a boar!

Sidelock
Sidelock

G'shot! smile What do you shoot slugs or buckshot? Those critters do so much damage. Enjoy your posts on shooting in Australia.

Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

I used 1 1/4 oz buckshot load. 15 balls to the 1 1/4 oz.
Gun is a Beretta 471 Silverhawk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you going to cook him up and eat him Aussie? I believe you guys down under would say put him on the Barbie? smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

No, he is not going onto the barbie because I seen what he had been eating. Putrid, rotten dead kangaroos and goannas with maggots as a condiment. Very unsafe eating I think. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate those damned things with a passion! Last week a neighboring ranch with about 10,000 acres hired a helicopter and shooter to kill as many as possible. In about half day they confirmed 271 kills and many got away. Heaven only knows how many we have but they are a plague, destroying turf, fences, and everything else. We're going to start feeding them a stew of clay targets, diesel oil, and corn. Ought'a fatten them up nicely!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I was woodcocking Saturday before last and had what I believe was a sow bluff charge my dog and me. We must have gotten a little too close to her and her brood. I was in thick rivercane when my Britt Abby started barking. I knew what was going on and when I called, she came to me. I put the gun down to leash her and when I did a coal black hog about as tall but two to three times Abby's weight charged us. Out of reaction, I ran towards it hollering. The hog spun on its heels and ran away. I got the hell out of there. When I first saw the hog it was less than 5 yards away. If it ain't gators, it's snakes. If it ain't snakes, it's gators. If ain't gators or snakes, it's hogs. Crap. I put in a call today for cut gear for Abby. She already wears a skid plate vest for regular rough and tumble conditions so I might as well get her something a little more robust than what Lion Country offers. A hog hunter in SW Oklahoma told me that every year he hears about bird dogs being killed by hogs. Apparently they have a Eurasian strain that is badass. www.hardcorehogdogs.com offers a Kevlar vest for baying dogs. This happened to a man in my wife's home county. Stan probably knows him. http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2081&cid=84 Damn hogs. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil there are a bunch of guys in my home town up here that know about the hog problem you guys have and would enjoy a good hog hunt. Trouble is that they don't know anyone down there or where to go. We're all Germans up here and like pork sausage with our saurkraut, beer, 'n schnapps. Hell a hog is soul food to us. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerb,

Years ago we had a duck lease and an outfitter had the hog rights. Folks from all over the country came to hunt with this outfitter who is no longer in business. One morning when we finished the duck hunt, one of the outfitter’s men was standing near his truck on the rice field dike with the tailgate down and an open cage. He had just released a “wild” boar into the marsh. He said he could hear the dogs coming up in pursuit so he needed to skedaddle before the “sports” saw him and put two and two together. No doubt the boar was wild before trapping, but I don’t believe the brochure described this procedure in detail—“catch and release” hog hunting. wink
On the land there was another area that food was put out for the hogs in the woods. The local Krispy Kreme owner would give the outfitter the day old doughnuts to “bait” hogs and hold them in the area. The hogs got addicted to the doughnuts and hovered in the woods while the doughnuts were dropped-off. Wild America.
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Krispy Kreme is a gateway drug to all sorts of food addiction. No suprise the hogs got hooked.

Friend of mine went bowhunting for bears over bait a few years back. He passed on a large bear, saying he just couldn't draw and shoot while (or after) the bear was chowing down on a jelly donut and had powdered sugar all over its snout. Totally blew the moment for him.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 46 of 57 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.