May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (prairie ghost, David Williamson, skeettx), 892 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
Will Garfit actually traded up to a heavier gun when he got older - reconed that a heavieer gun kicked less and was less punishing to shoot.

Might make sense for clays or driven poultry shooting, but not for rough shooting on wild birds. In the field, I spend a hell of a lot more time carrying than shooting - and I've never ever felt "punished" by a shot on wild game. A light game gun with moderate loads is a pleasure to carry all day and more than sufficient for most upland hunting.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

A quandry, indeed-do I take the 5lb, 13oz Darne 20, with 29 1/2" tubes, the 6lb Darne 12, with 26" tubes and sling (handy for hypoglycemic old dogs, too), or the 6lb 6oz, Tobin 16, at a nice even 28"? Decisions, decisions. Say, I've a 5lb and change Remington 17, too, and that King's Ferry Ithaca 16 with the alloy receiver can't weigh but 6 and a little bit, either, come to think of it. What does a first year model 12 20 gauge weigh? Can't be much over 6 and a quarter, even with the spiffy, new, non perch belly buttstock. Good heavens, I almost forgot about my snowshoe grouse gun, the Italian "Companion" 12 single, less than 6 by at least 1/2 pound, even with 30" tube.
The way you guys talk, almost leads me to believe I was supposed to be buying heavy 12s all along. What did I miss? I do have a 'coupla down and dirty 12 pumps, that get used for trap league, by big kids at gunsafety class, or anywhere the words "steel shot" get used in reference to hunting birds. Nowhere else, though.
Like I said, almost. When do I get old fart status, by the way? Does 45 years of age count, or do I need a waist bigger than size 32? Still have a complete set of human, adult teeth, if that affects status. Keep me posted.
Best,
Ted

Ted - you're much too young for an under 6 lb. gun. If you don't want folks to mistake you for an old fart, you ought to get rid of that flimsy little Darne 20. Give me a call - I'm in the St. Paul book - and (just as a favor) I might take it off your hands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bad news, Jackster-it is just as lefthanded as I am, which, I'm guessing, is more than you are. Not much of a trap gun, with IC and IM chokes, either, but, the birds just don't notice.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
When do I get old fart status, by the way? Does 45 years of age count, or do I need a waist bigger than size 32?

Ted - When at your age I would have figured maybe 60, but this year I make 55 and believe I've arrived. BTW, don't you know waist size is inversely proportional to years of tenure as an old fart?

Jack M. - Thanks for pointing out the pointy dogs option for later stage geriatrics. I was afraid my bird hunting life would end when I can no longer stay with my springers. With a pointer maybe it wouldn't have to ... but will probably still feel like it has.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, I think of you as an honorary old fart!
Just think of the head start you've had, when you reach old fart status - you'll truely be one!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 03/12/07 04:17 PM.

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Bad news, Jackster-it is just as lefthanded as I am...

No prob, a C-note will get that bois torqued from gauche to droit in no time. And I won't even demand the usual discount for frog engineering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bad idea to even think of that on a Darne, or, a Charlin, Jack. I have discovered it is just about impossible. But, don't take my word for it-talk to JJ at Champlin, down in Enid.

Better to get the gun with stock pretty close to what you need, and call it good. While I've heard Darnes called many different things, over the years, flimsy isn't one of them.

With proper torque on your head, maybe we can get you bent from right to left, eh? Might work out better, long term....
Best,
Ted

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking that it may prove more prudent to buy a lighter pair o' boots. Kangaroos come to mind.

For waterfowl, it'll be a 12 w/no more than 1.25oz of shot, thank you, and for most birds afield, pheasants excepted, a 20ga. with 25 grams or 7/8 oz. of #6's does just fine. Dogs that hunt close are a treasure for both young boys and old men.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking an American Water Spanial would have shorter legs, which, in theory, would slow 'em down enough in heavy cover to call it "close working". Might try one, someday.

My setters, both good pointing dogs, were balls of fire between those points, and set the pace up a notch or two over what I would call close working. It is a challenge on pheasants that have been pressured a bit to keep up in that track meet.

A sub six pound 20 gauge is a joy in the right application, and I have owned the model 17 since I was 16, when I was most assuredly not an old fart, just a lad with a light bird gun. I think of the sub six pound Darne 20, with it's longish barrels, the same way I think of my IRA-proper preparation for the golden years to come, but, a bunch more fun along the way.

So, go find a little gun of your very own, Jack. You don't get mine. I thought that Bernadelimacaroni, or whatever it is that you own, was 'sorta light, but, maybe not light enough.
Best,
Ted

PS TW, I'm thinking most guys here have more weight around their middle they could lose, than the difference between light boots, and not so light boots. Especially the old farts.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.