Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, I missed the second page of this topic. Being new doesn't help. Others have posted info that I seem to repeat -sorry.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Again, I want to thank all who have responded. It appears that the only solution is to have new locks made for the AH, which appears to have never been finished. I pulled the forearm furniture off and there is no evidence of bluing or case colors. The rib is unmarked. I will post any results when they occur. Thanks again.

Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
I suggest you look to builders of muzzle loaders for help.Parts for ML pistol,may be adaptable to lockplate made to fit(for small 360).I can't answer as to cost of the work,but including these builders increases the chances of finding a reasonable price.Putting these rifles back together would be a worthy exercise.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW have a look on the < Track of the Wolf > site for parts and pieces. I would think you should be able to find something adaptable. The biggest challenge to me would be getting the "correct" hammers - so that everything lines up properly.

Nice guns and should / could be brought back to working order, if not by you by a "hobbyist" that can do most of the work for himself. JMHO --- John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have looked at Track of the Wolf and their locks are more suited to muzzleloaders. I have also communicated with several members here who have offered a lot of help by email. I will post any results. Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hopefully they can be resurrected! Old good rifles aren't being made any more!

Sidelock
Sidelock

In gunmaking ceters like Gardone and Eibar there are outlets that sell semifinished locks, both hammer and hammerless.

Try OMPS in Gardone, the address is www.omps.it.

Making a lock from scratch is not easy, but it in this day of 3D copiers and CNC machines it should not be too hard to accomplish at a reasonable cost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
6830 is an "in the white" Alex Henry. It did have sidelocks at some time. Otherwise, the stock could not have been inlet and the gun could not have been proved. Somebody removed them and lost them. That's an expensive problem. Maybe your friend removed them for safety???
I do own AH #7064 which is a .450 express double rifle and is in the white. It's not engraved nor case colored, and the rib is not matted. It's proved however and it is complete.
Dickson's records shows it "in stock" in 1900 ( and never sold). It seems like a few of those are around.
Kirby Hoyt at Vintage Doubles also has (had?) a .360 double in the white. He might help you with pictures of the locks he has. And there are the guns shown in the double gun journal as described in the thread.
The other one does not look to me to be an Henry. The only Henry feature is the lightening machining in the action bar.
But that was not an exclusive Henry feature.
It would be great to rehabilitate both of them though.
Best regards,
WC

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again for all of the good thoughts. I think all have agreed that the second rifle is a Birmingham guild gun and definitely not a Henry. I have found a few photos of apparently identical side lock guns similarly engraved with a couple of different names (retailers?) on the side locks. Larry

Boxlock
Boxlock

Obviously I do not follow this forum often enough. I am the Steve Nelson who is currently rebuilding the Alex Henry .360 DAMASCUS double in question. No one seemed to mention the one factor that made this project worth pursuing, that being the Damascus barrels. Thanks to a very generous client (Mr. Buffum) I have a head start on the locks. No promises, since I have a couple (!) projects for my clients but I plan to have the rifle available for viewing at the Beinfield (Firearms Engravers Guild of America) Exhibition in Las Vegas, Nevada, in January, 2014.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.