May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (R Reynolds, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,748
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30065 03/09/07 10:39 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just curious to know what kind of margins are in the new gun business.

I see a lot of retailers immediately taking down the prices by about 20% on high quality brands like the berettas, brownings of the world. How much is left after that?

And what's it like on the higher name stuff like Perazzi, Kreighoff, etc.

Any thoughts would be insightful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO darn little is leftover.
For some reason the retail firearms biz (generally speaking) works at a lower markup than other retail. The clothes and accessories prolly make a higher percent return. My opinion's based on seeing Davidson's dealer price list 15-20 years ago (Dad was an FFL back when) and knowing local retail markup. I don't know about the higher end guns, hopefully they return more. YMMV

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read figures like 25-30% on medium to higher priced guns, and less on lower(?) priced, high volume stuff like 1100s, 870s, Mossbergs and such. This is not a big margin on an item that may sit for a year or more, on the shelf, in a full service store. Biggest problem for individual stores is that outfits like Wal*Mart tells Remington We want 50,000 1100s we can sell for $599(for example) and Remington sells them to Wal*Mart at a price so that Wal*Mart makes a profit at $599. While Mikey's Neighborhood Gun Shop can't BUY one or two of them for $599.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/09/07 12:40 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Legg is on the mark.

As it was explained to me... A Wally Mart will deal directly with the maker. The small gun store has to go through a jobber. If they want to become a X-Brand Dealer, then most makers insist they purchase x amount of stock and make x amount of sales. This basically takes them out of the game.

You can go on eBay and buy old jobber price lists for various guns.

For the little guy, they squeak by on a very slim margin for new guns. I have a small dealer that I use for FFL transfers. I always try and give him other business through out the year.

Pete

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I was in the business of selling guns (my gosh! 20years ago!) the markup was 20% on high end guns a bit lower on others and money was made on used guns and mounting scopes and other items sold. My suspision now, is that it is the same except on auction sites selling new guns? It appears to me that new guns on the sites have a bit higher markup much closer to manufacturers suggested retail. I don't understand this, for if a seller has a larger customer base he should sell more faster, but it apparently is working for them? It keeps me solidly shopping in local shops though!

On Walmart I don't know much as it is inconvenient for me to shop there, but ask the person behind the counter to measure L.O.P. for you and see what they say!?

Kurt

Last edited by ben-t; 03/09/07 03:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun bussiness has for years been based on rapid turn over of inventory. I use to have a small interst in a shop and we use to figure that 10% profit on long guns was reasonable or do-able if it was a regular customer. But this meant that we had to flip the inventory very quickly. Some items would flip in days and other might be weeks. Never kept a low or middle grade gun in the shop for a long time. Could not afford to do it. Hand guns had a higher margin for us than long guns.

Used guns was where we made the bulk of our profit. What we paid for a used gun coud vary greatly and margins could get very decent for some items. But really the only way the shop made it was to turn over inventory as quickly as possible.

Some of the deals still make me laugh. Traded for a double gun, a boat with motor and trailer, decoys and a pregnant Lab, for two long guns and a old 1911 Colt 45. By the time I got done the puppies were all profit and cute as heck to boot.

I try to do all mu buying at small shops. When they go where will I get to find real bargins? Walmart. I think not. Heck in the next few years Walmart may get PC and stop selling guns and ammo. Then we will be out even their poor selections.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wal-mart has already stopped selling guns at most locations. They have pulled all the guns in the Denver metro-area stores. They still have a small ammo selection and some cleaning supplies.

I really hope this helps the small shops out, but what we have now is Bass-pro shops, gander mountain,sportsmans warehouse and a Cabela's being built which will take the gun business away from them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The big box Bass Pro, Dicks, Cabela's are still killing off the small shops. The one I use to have an interest in is going out of bussiness bacause it just can not compete and the current owner is getting older and has had enough. It is not in the friendliest state to sell a gun and the realestate if his retirment funs now. Hard to think that 20 acres of land is worth more than 40 years of work but there you have it. Sell out and retire or keep working and strugle.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.