April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ChiefAmungum, DaveB, earlyriser, Bob Jurewicz, LeFusil), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,795
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Upon doing an internet search I came across an old article that talked about an auction from Sotheby's back in August of 2000. In the article it stated that one of the main attractions was what they called a 20-Bore "Ovundu" Fauneta made in 1922. Westley Richards' over under back then was called the Ovundo, so it does sound like it could be legitimate. I was wondering if anyone knew of an over under Fauneta actually being made? I'm sure they wouldn't make it up, but was wondering if this article was accurate.

Charlie

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-18743257.html

Last edited by cjhusn777; 11/10/12 03:17 AM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I couldn't log in for free. The teaser doesn't mention a fauneta only an Ovundo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I did the search it showed that there were the words Fauneta Ovundu in the article. It does block off the bottom portion when I click on the article, but on my screen I can clearly see the top part of Fauneta and Ovundu right next to each other. They missplell Ovundo with a "u" at the end. If you do a google search for "Fauneta Ovundu," this article along with a pdf file and a german website that also talk about the auction with the words 20-Bore Fauneta Ovundu (misspelled) come up.

Here is also the link to the pdf file I found which states that it was estimated back then to fetch 15,000-22,000 at auction:
http://investor.shareholder.com/bid/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=18266

The pdf states it as a "20-Bore 'Fauneta' 'Ovundu' detachable boxlock ejector over and under gun/rifle."

Last edited by cjhusn777; 11/10/12 04:48 AM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There were probably 3 or 4 made maybe more.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Very interesting. Never knew there were any over under rifled choke guns. That is what I like about these wonderful old guns, there always seems to be something knew to learn about them.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fredricked
The teaser doesn't mention a fauneta only an Ovundo

---------------------
We Know Your Expectations for Sons Of Anarchy Season 5 DVD Films, We Reach It

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow! Very nice PM! Is it yours?

@Fredericked: This was taken directly from the webpage i provided the link to: "AN AUCTION of modern and vintage sporting firearms is to be held in Perthshire later this month. And for the true firearms afficianado, there will be the opportunity to buy an entire gunsmith, complete with the license to trade under the company's name.The sale, which is being held at Gleneagles Hotel by London- based Sotheby's on 28 August, will give gun enthusiasts the chance to bid for a wide selection of guns, memorabilia and archive material.A variety of rare firearms will be included in the sale, including a Fauneta Ovundu 20 bore shotgun, which was manufactured by Birmingham Gunsmith Westley Richards in 1922. It is expected that the gun, which has maintained its " <- this is where it cuts off when I look at the page using my smart phone. It looks different on my computer.

Please take notice of what is in bold lettering.

Last edited by cjhusn777; 12/15/12 06:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

He did a direct quote from me in the solder thread too.

Spammer be gone!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ya I actually contacted admin after looking at all of his posts. Every post was a direct quote of something that was already written in the thread. Hopefully he won't be back...

Last edited by cjhusn777; 12/15/12 07:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would anyone be interested in the hard copy of the auction catalog? I may have one, but the gun is long gone, I assume.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.