March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#298590 10/30/12 02:21 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Okay I know someone is going to say I told you so...
I bought a 45/70 Baikal. The jack screw really does a great job of aligning the barrels left to right. It is just my gun is shooting anywhere from 4 inches to 8 inches vertically off depending on load. I sent it back to EAA they were no help. Kept it for two months. Said they would shoot it with factory ammo and send me the target, and box lid from the ammo if it was okay. I got back nothing but the gun and a note saying "checked out, okay."

Obvious 5" vertical spread at 50 yard is okay for the Russians, but it is not okay for me.

Thought about heating the end barrel retainer and twisting, but I am a bit afraid on that one. I have been experimenting with some shims in the retainer at the end of the barrel with some noticeable movement, but just haven been successful yet. Anybody have any suggestions?

I can't even dump the thing, because I wouldn't feel right selling it to someone like this.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

PS yes I know, you get what you pay for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Before you do anything you can't undo,make sure you are using correct bench techniques.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the barrels printing good by them selves?

IIRC there was another gent that made a shim to point the offending tube in the right direction. I believe he too the front bridle off and slid it in there.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually there is room at the muzzle of the of the adjustable barrel to slip a shim in. I am not sure if the shim changes the point of impact or if it just changes the vibration allowed by the barrel during firing.

Re bench shooting technic. I use a cadwell shooting bag. Tried just resting it, tried hand under it, tried holding it down, the results are pretty consistent anyway.

Shoot the same when shot off of sticks. The darn thing cost me a 1st place at a side by side shoot we had this spring.

Before I get drastic, I am going to shim it some more. I was just hoping someone else could give me some input.

Jerry

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What do these rifles weigh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Their site shows the 45-70 is 6.8# and the 30-06 is 7.4#

http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/mp221-side-by-side-break-action-rifle-baikal/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry about your disappointment. You must understand that the outfit that makes them is a highly bureactratized government arsenal (all decisions have to come through the Ministry of Defence and FSB, nee KGB - no kidding), where it's a miracle something gets done at all.

I'll have to look into the factory specs for this gun. They could be lifted from the shotguns, and the specs from shotguns are that POI has to be no more than 25 mm below, 50 mm to the side and 150 mm above the POA at 35 meters. This, of course, won't do for rifles, and I'd expect the company to develop the new specs (or at least adapt their rifle specs, which say 100 mm circle at 100 meters). If not, then... Have you tried to replace the gun? EAA appears to be pretty gentlemanly about such issues.

Shimming IS a viable option. Apparently, the best material fro shims are old-fashioned safety razor blades. I'll try to get more info on how folks on our side of the globe deal with shimming at the weekend - provided the Junior gets over his bloody teething and starts to sleep nigths, as a good boy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Humpty
Thanks

The factory repair in Florida did NOTHING. They said they would shoot it with factory ammo and then send me the box top and the target. nothing came back with the gun but a packing slip saying it was shot and it checked out.

I have heard other say theirs shoot great and some having problems similar to mine. Any advice is appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some here have used 'feeler guages' that used to be used for setting the points on cars pre-electronic ignition. The auto parts stores still carry them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry about the delay. My 'big' compuer broke and I had to do with the mini netbook which is too slow for the stupid search function on the site where I was looking.

Bottom line: I'm sorry. You've been had. Unlike the over/under rifles, which allow reglation both horizontally and vertically, the MP221 factory regulation mechanism workes only for the left-to right (horisontal) deviation. The vertical deviation is to be regulated by the factory, and there are no provisions for correction.

I see only two options for you:

a) contact EAA and INSIST they REPLACE your gun or give you money back. By the factory manual your gun is DEFECTIVE.

b) find a competent and inventive gunsmith who could remove the front sleeve and build a new sleeve which will send the bullets where you want them to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's where the feeler guages come in for shims!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.