May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jerry G, welder, LRF, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 154 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,080
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca Gun Co. produced a special high grade NID for the King of Iraq in 1933. I kept hoping it might be found while we were there.

In addition to the sort of, almost, maybe somewhat, Czarist Parker, Marlin did make one of their Model 28 Trap Guns for Nikki II. It was covered in the December 1913 issue of National Sportsman, and is pictured on page 539 od Brophy's Marlin book.

Last edited by Researcher; 10/15/12 11:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

More, and timely words from Grover

Dec 8, 1906
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1906/VOL_48_NO_13/SL4813016.pdf

"Fishing and Shooting" Sketches by Ex-President Grover Cleveland.

We hear a great deal in these days about abundant physical exercise as a necessary factor in the maintenance of sound health and vigor. This is so universally and persistently enjoined upon us by those whose studies and efforts are devoted to our bodily welfare that frequently if we withhold an iota of belief concerning any detail of the proposition we subject ourselves to the accusation of recklessly discrediting the laws of health.

While beyond all doubt a wholesale denial of the importance of physical exertion to a desirable condition of bodily strength would savor of foolish hardihood we are by no means obliged to concede that mere activity of muscles without accompaniment constitutes the exercise best calculated to do us good. In point of fact we are only boldly honest and sincere when we insist that really beneficial exercise consists as much in the pursuit of some independent object we desire to reach or gain by physical exertion, coupled with a pleasant stimulation of mental interest and recreation, as in any given kind or degree of mere muscular activity. Bodily movement alone undertaken from a sense of duty or upon medical advice is among the dreary and unsatisfying things of life. It may cultivate or increase animal strength and endurance, but it is apt at the same time to weaken and distort the disposition and temper. The medicine is not only distasteful, but fails in efficacy unless it is mingled with the agreeable and healing ingredients of mental recreation and desirable objects of endeavor.

I am convinced that nothing meets all the requirements of, rational, healthful outdoor exercise more completely than quail shooting. It seems to be so compounded of wholesome things that it reaches, with vitalizing effect, every point of mental or physical enervation. Under the prohibitions of the law, or the restraints of sporting decency, or both, it is only permitted at a season of the year when nature freely dispenses to those who submit to her treatment, the potent tonic of cool and bracing air and the invigorating influences of fields and trees and sky, no longer vexed by summer heat. It invites early rising; and as a general rule a successful search for these uncertain birds involves long miles of travel on foot. Obviously this sport furnishes an abundance of muscular action and physically strengthening surroundings. These, fortunately, are supplemented by the eager alertness essential to the discovery and capture of game well worth the effort, and by the recreative and self-satisfying complacency of more or less skillful shooting.

In addition to all this, the quail shooter has on his excursions a companion who not only promotes his success, but whose manner of contributing to it is a constant source of delight. I am not speaking of human companionship, which frequently mars pleasure by insistent competition or awkward interference, but of the companionship of a faithful, devoted helper, never discouraged or discontented with his allotted service, except when the man behind the gun shoots badly, and always dumbly willing to concede to the shooter the entire credit of a. successful hunt. The work in the field of a well-trained dog is of itself an exhibition well worth the fatigue of a quailing expedition. It behooves the hunter, however, to remember that the dog is in the field for business, and that no amount of sentimental admiration of his performances on the part of his master will compensate him, if, after he has found and indicated the location of his game, it escapes through inattention or bad shooting at the critical instant. The careless or bungling shooter who repeatedly misses all manner of fair shots, must not be surprised if in utter disgust his dog companion sulkily ceases effort, or even wholly abandons the field, leaving the chagrined and disappointed hunter to return home alone—leg weary, gameless and ashamed. He is thus forced to learn that hunting dog intelligence is not limited to abject subservience; and he thus gains a new appreciation of the fact that the better his dog, the
better the shooter must know "what to do with his gun."

I do not assume to be competent to give instruction in quail shooting. I miss too often to undertake such a role. It may not, however, be entirely unprofitable to mention a fault which I suppose to be somewhat common among those who have not reached the point of satisfactory skill, and which my experience has taught me will stand in the way of success as long as it remains uncorrected. I refer to the instinctive and difficulty controlled impulse to shoot too quickly when the bird rises. The flight seems to be much more speedy than it really is; and the undrilled shooter, if he has any idea in his mind at all, is dominated by the fear that if the formality of aiming his gun is observed the game will be beyond range before he shoots. This leads to a nervous, flustered pointing of the gun in the direction of the bird's flight, and its discharge at such close range that the load of shot hardly separates in the intervening distance. Nine times out of ten the result is, of course, a complete miss; and if the bird should at any time under these conditions be accidently hit, it -would be difficult to find its scattered fragments. An old quail hunter once advised a younger one afflicted with this sort of quick triggeritis: "When the bird gets up, if you chew tobacco spit over your shoulder before you shoot." It is absolutely certain that he who aspires to do good quail shooting must keep cool; and it is just as certain that he must trust the carrying qualities of his gun as well as his own ability and the intelligence of his dog. If he observes these rules, experience and practice will do the rest.

I hope I may be allowed to suggest that both those who appreciate the table qualities of the toothsome quail, and those who know the keen enjoyment and health-giving results of their pursuit, should recognize it as quite worth their while, and as a matter of duty to co-operate in every movement having for its object the protection, preservation and propagation of this game. Our quail have many natural enemies; they are often decimated by the severity of winter, and there are human beings so degraded and so lost to shame as to seek their destruction in ways most foul. A covey of quail will sometimes huddle as close together as possible in a circle, -with their heads turned outward. I have heard of men who, discovering them in this situation, have fired upon them, killing every one at a single shot. There ought to be a law which would consign one guilty of this crime to prison for a comfortable term of years. A story is told of a man so stupidly unsportsmanlike that when he was interfered with as he raised his gun apparently to shoot a quail running on the ground, he, exclaimed -with irritation: "I did not, intend to shoot until it had stopped running!" This may be called innocent stupidity; but there is no place for such a man among sportsmen, and he is certainly out of place among quail.

It is cause for congratulation that so much has been done for quail protection and preservation through the enactment of laws for that purpose. But neither these nor their perfunctory enforcement will be sufficiently effective. There must be in addition, an active sentiment aroused in support of more advanced game legislation and willing voluntary service in aid of its enforcement; and in the meantime all belonging to the sporting fraternity should teach that genuine sportsmanship is based upon honor, generosity, obedience to law and a scrupulous willingness to perpetuate for those who come after them the outdoor recreation they themselves enjoy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's not forget almost President John Kerry, Here he faces down a covey of murderous quail. He must be hell on dangerous game.

The maker of the sxs he is handling would not identify themselves.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

TR's Winchester 1876 .45-75 is in the NYS State Museum at Albany. Somewhat over-decorated, IMO, but interesting.

They also used to have a reproduction of an Adirondack hunter and guide's camp lean-to with a New York-made (I think) drilling and a Highwall Winchester leaning in it. If I ever knew the calibers and the maker of the drilling, I've forgotten them, But I remember that it looked like a 10x10x.40 cal of some sort with 32" barrels.

Last edited by Mike A.; 10/15/12 12:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A thought provoking post Drew!

I was trying to remember this morning when I initially saw this thread if there was anything ever published on firearms owned by John Kennedy. While he is documented as a life member of the NRA and a strong(ironic) supporter of the 2nd Amendment I don't remember any hunting or fishing trips for that matter except one.
Apparently he shot a deer while visiting with LBJ at his ranch in Texas.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

President John F. Kennedy did more 2-legged hunting.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey:
This thread is supposed to be about "Presidential Iron" not "Presidential Wood"! grin
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a newspaper picture of GWB shooting at quail with what I think "we" identified as a Model 21. I have no idea if it was his personal gun or borrowed. I believe the Eisenhower 21 is in the National Firearms Museum.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Let's not forget almost President John Kerry, Here he faces down a covey of murderous quail. He must be hell on dangerous game.

The maker of the sxs he is handling would not identify themselves.

Must be a BAIKAL.....they didn't want to spend much money for a photo op. grin

THANKS for the very interesting posts, Drew.

Last edited by 2holer; 10/15/12 04:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ahem, who could ever forget VP Cheyney and his Perazzi!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.