May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, playing hooky, MattH, 1 invisible), 687 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,596
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

anybody here have actualy experience taking an antique firearm to the post office and mailing it to Canada? i know it's legal but my concern is the reaction i'd get from the USPS clerk if i put anything with the word "firearm" in it on the customs form.

roger

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Do you mean you think it is legal from the US standpoint, the Canadian standpoint or the postal services of both countries?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year I sold an "antique" 1880's Webley .450 revolver to a gentleman in Canada. After multiple inquiries, it appeared legal to ship; but I was not 100% comfortable doing so. (Maybe excess caution on my part.)

He arranged for me to ship it to a friend of his in Washington state; and he drove down to pick it up himself; and take it home.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, we went through all this before. I sold a Webley Mk II 455 revolver to a friend, because of its age and a non-readily available source of ammunition, we had to get a certificate from the Firearms Office declaring it an antique and not subject to registration. If your customer did not have such a certificate he could not have imported the gun legally. We do not have the pre 1898 antique status for any gun for which ammunition is readily available. An 1873 Colt revolver in 45 Colt is subject to registration. Maybe one in 41 Colt is not as shells are not readily available.

rwmckee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

i figured there would be something like that involved. i didn't expect it'd be as simple as just mailing it. this is a similar case, an antique revolver in 44 webley. think i'll just keep it in this country.

thanks!
roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to further complicate things, our postal service will not accept firearms from another country.The only method available is to ship it via air freight and you don't want to go there, trust me.... The best route is what Jerry said. If it's an antique in the U.S., have it shipped to a U.S. border town and have a Canadian pick it up and take it to the border and sort it out with Canada Customs.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen,
Now that that's been sorted out I too have a question for my friends from the Great White North. What would be the Canadian governments regulations regarding a single shot muzzle loading pistol, either a vintage gun or a modern replica, something like a dueling pistol. Could an American carry something like that into Canada unmolested by the authorities? Anyone have any actual experience here?
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The firearmas import form is very clear what you may bring into Canada for temporary use.It is the RCMP form Called non resident firearm declaration...You can download it for free. It even has pictures...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Chuck, you got me researching the law myself. My God, you couldn't pay me enough to be a lawyer, anywhere! What a bunch of double talk and general gobbledygook. I looked through the regs and almost nowhere does it address muzzle loading pistols specifically. Now as cranky as the Canadians get over handguns, you'd think they'd want to be very specific about things in that regard. Anyhow, I tried, it's not a big deal so I'll drop it unless any of our Canaadian friends have a specific answer or can point me to a specific law regarding muzzle-loader black powder pistols, either antique or replicas.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi:

Bringing a handgun into Canada, lots of luck!

Franchi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.