May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, j7l2, Momslefever, prairie ghost, Hammergun, coosa), 693 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,612
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 57 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 56 57
Sidelock
Sidelock

We took a couple of huns from there, and a bunch of Pheasants surprised us! Cant shoot em, tho...No rings around their necks, they were almost black...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar, that's a good example of how vast and pretty it can be. Thanks for posting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Makes a person want to go back,doesnt it? If we go next year, we'll take a travel trailer and stay way longer...Maybe shoot one of those big Whitetail does...

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Charles Daly 16ga with a couple of Huns from this morning.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Great pictures from everyone. makes me want to hop in the car right now and head out into those locales.
For the Hammer Gun hunters (incl. Hammer Guy), how do you carry the Hammer guns that have no separate safeties? Loaded but open; Hammers Down and closed, etc.
I know that, no matter how much I may practice, I can't get the hammers back in time for a "surprise" Grouse flush. With a good/great dog it can work. but even great dogs have the birds blow out on them often in the grouse woods.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammers down and closed for me except when crossing a fence or other obstacle. Just plain courtesy when crossing a fence to hand your partner a very obvious un-loaded gun.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike I hunt pheasants and prairie grouse a lot with a hammer gun. I carry them loaded with the hammers down and cock a hammer as I mount the gun, very much the same unconscious effort as sliding the safety off as I mount the gun.

If I need the second barrel, I lower the gun and remount it, cocking the second hammer as I do so.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Originally Posted By: HammerGuy
First grouse of the year taken in the beautiful wilds of Wisconsin.

Wonderful pics!!! Very pretty, love that hammergun!! What make & ga?
Best!
Greg

12bore Purdey purchased from the late great Tony Treadwell. Gun shoots like a dream and I'll be using her a lot. I spent a lot of time in the field this last week, wishing I could share some photos with him. Then again, I spent a lot of time thinking he just may be watching over the Purdey and I. Covers were full of grouse and thick with woodcock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
PS: Hammerguy, how many shots did it take to finish off the cameraman in photo 2? wink

;-) Funny story. I'd asked him to take some photos and made it a point to show him my gun was empty before ducking in that pretty little spot....and flushing a grouse. :-(

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MIKE THE BEAR
For the Hammer Gun hunters (incl. Hammer Guy), how do you carry the Hammer guns that have no separate safeties? Loaded but open; Hammers Down and closed, etc.
I know that, no matter how much I may practice, I can't get the hammers back in time for a "surprise" Grouse flush. With a good/great dog it can work. but even great dogs have the birds blow out on them often in the grouse woods.

In a place with THICK cover, hammers down and gun closed is your only option. Open and you'd being losing shells or filling your breech with so much junk it wouldn't close when it came time to. I kind of carry mine so my thumb is resting between the hammers. I believe it is very safe, having never felt the hammers really even being snagged by brush or branches.

As RCC says, you cock and shoot just as you would when moving from safe to fire on an "hammerless" gun. These hammerguns are almost all I shoot, so it's just second nature. As the gun comes up the right hammer goes back, I fire, drop in a couple inches, cock the left and fire (if needed).

In more sparse long-walking conditions like out West, I may keep the hammers cocked and break the gun open, carrying it in one hand or over my shoulder. That works real well.

I think with practice, you'd get there Mike. Conditions were real hot and dry in Wisconsin since the opener, so the dogs were strugglin' a bit. Lots of surprise flushes but it was fine. Not to take anything from the dogs, but point or not, a timberdoodle or a grouse is gonna surprise ya.

I learned fast, if you're in the area birds may be, don't expect the dog to lead you to the prize every time. Lots of doubles are sadly missed that way. I take most steps in the field like the next one is going to find me a bird to shoot.

Page 11 of 57 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.