March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29558 03/06/07 04:06 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The link to this was posted on the Outdoors Unlimited home page this morning. -- Ed

JIM ZUMBO

February 28, 2007

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman
Citizens Committee for the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts an unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,
Jim Zumbo

Keep outa the wire...

To me it seems like a good, "first step", towards the house from the woodshed. Keep going Jim, I'am pulling for you.

twopiper
Sidelock
Sidelock

His letter creates a big concern for me. If someone like Jim Zumbo is as ignorant about the difference between assault rifles(machine guns) and semi-automatic look alike copies then just imagine what the general public must think! I fully expect the democrats to re-take the White House in 2008 but in retrospect it really doesn't matter as the frontrunning republicans McCain and Guiliani are as anti-gun as any of the democrats anyway. I know this is a shotgun forum and what happens in that "assault rifle" arena probably won't have any immediate effect. However; The antis what ALL guns either confiscated or under extreme legal control such now exists in Great Britian where they're trying to now outlaw swords! I think Mr. Zumbo now realizes we have to swim together or we will surely sink together.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 03/06/07 06:40 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The chap is worried about his next paycheck, perhaps a new career writing for The Oprah Show!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone who learns U.S. History as late in life as Zumbo has is a lost cause and should be allowed to wither away in peace. He is obviously set in his ways and cannot be educated in time for it to do him or us any good. He's like a bad driver who never took the time to improve and finally runs into a kindergarten class at play. It's like meeting a great woman with no obvious problems who absolutely loves everything about you and you find out that her father, who she adores, is a hard core irreversable Democrat.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I knew that this was coming. Just like the hollywood types and politicians who go into "rehab" when they get caught being stupid, Zumbo is going into "assault rifle rehab" with Nugent. Give me a break!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last act of a desperate man.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.

Dear Outdoor Life.
made the drop. The fix is in.
Now can I have by job back?
Jim

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

We make mistakes, make amends and with good work over time make it back again. Character usually comes through. From all accounts here, Mr. Zumbo was respected, of good reputation. Whatever the motivation for his AR-15 stand, his letter is pitiful, calling his character into account, digging the hole deeper. Moreover the rationale of his apology is specious, not credible. It's so bizarre I'm inclined to cut him some slack. Who knows what's going on in his life? From the evidence, however, his recovery appears doubtful. Leaders take their lumps and get on with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What he did was very dumb, no question about that. But he was man enough to stand up and admitt he did something stupid and I guess I respect him for that. How many politions would do that? I have read some of his writings and looked at his TV stuff once or twice, but don't warm up to hunting shows that much. One exception is bird hunting shows. He's probably close to retirement anyway, may have hastened it a bit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I applaud his response. I can see very well how a hunter coming from tradional ways, would not be thinking of other guns as hunting tools as well. I think he does bring to light, what many non-hunters possibly are thinking about those guns. Many people when they think of semi-sutomatic guns, aren't thinking of Rem. 1100's, Auto 5's or 742's. They are thinking of what is called the black guns, from military developement, that are now being used in a civilan role. It could be used as a wake up call for us to show that these guns do have a place in sport shooting. I realize many will think it is a lame way to save his name, but how else does one stand up an admit thier errors? I think it is a man that does it, not a person who hides after the fact. JMHO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.