May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, playing hooky, 2 invisible), 1,077 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Robin Brown kindly (and very promptly) responded to my inquiry and confirmed that the gun in question (the second photo above) "is by A A Brown and does not have a screw grip, it is built on our own action with Scott spindle leverwork plus replaceable hinge pin." He also confirmed that AA Brown "never made a gun using a W&S action so there is not in existence a genuine A A Brown with screw grip."

So, in conclusion:

1. As Dig said, AA Brown did not use W&S actions for their boxlocks, so none of their boxlocks will have a Webley Screw Grip.
2. Webley Screw Grips are indicated by the shape of the top lever, not the barrel extension.

I will leave to others to sort out if any apologies are necessary, but should clarify that Lovel did not advertise this gun as a Webley Screw Grip and it was only after I purchased the gun in response to my inquiry that they told me it was a Webley Screw Grip.

Last edited by Doverham; 09/27/12 10:00 AM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham

Hopefully gunman can confirm this but this is what I believe is a Webley Screw Grip action top lever:

If you think this is a Webley screw grip action.....I've got an opening in my hunting club in Death Valley (only 100 pounds).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Doverham, now we are getting somewhere.

Could someone please answer the following:

In reference to the gun Doverham purchased from Lovel & is now confirmed to be built by AA Brown, was this type of 3rd bite used exclusively by AA Brown or was it commonly used by other makers & suppliers of actions to the trade & what is the proper name for this style of 3rd bite?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
If you think this is a Webley screw grip action.....I've got an opening in my hunting club in Death Valley (only 100 pounds).

Actually, I said it has "a Webley Screw Grip action top lever."

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're a prime candidate for my hunting club...bring extra clothes when you come to hunt.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That observation was passed on to me by a respected Birmingham gunmaker who is a current Guardian of the Birmingham Proof House. I think others here with familiarity with these actions have also confirmed that is the signature top lever shape for a Webley Screw Grip - not sure there is an argument to be had on this point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,

Don't mind Joe. He failed both Reading Comprehension 101 & Dale Carnegie Training. Probably why he is homeless!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am certainly sorry I stuck my nose in this,except I did learn a lot about the Webley patent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham ,it certainly looks like a screw grip nut ,but not benefiting from the extension,as with the later Webley 600 and 700 range .Whether it is a Webley action or not I could not say from the picture . There were a couple variations on the theme ,I recall a Danial Frasier that had what looked like a grip nut but was in fact a boss that keyed into the action rather than a screw thread . The gun shown does not have a typical Webley top strap being longer than the norm for a Webley .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
plus replaceable hinge pin.

Not from what I'm seeing.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.