May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, 1 invisible), 443 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,800
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr.Martin,read the entire Jungle Gun thread here on the board there are some great pictures of the breech face that show the threads that work the cam that closes down on the rib extension. I think that should do it. If not we'll work on it some more I'm sure someone else will chime in with help

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun shown in the picture on page 6 dose not ,repeat does not have a Webley screw grip lever .It has a standared Scott spindle with straight extention . Take it from me ,I have fitted Webley lever work so I do know one when I see one .

gunman #294815 09/26/12 03:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman,

Thank you! What is the correct term for this type of 3rd bite using the straight extension locking off the boss of the top lever? I have seen quite a few guns proofed for 2 3/4" & 3" cartridges using this type of 3rd bite marketed by different firms so I'm assuming this was an action commonly available to the trade. Who were the suppliers the actions or action forgings?

Sidelock
Sidelock

justin,
thanks again for a further link but i have already read the article and as i said earlier i have also read the link to leeson.i have also said i am familiar with screw grip actions but i still cannot see the screw grip proof in the photograph provided.
i have also apologised to homelessjOe re the matter since lovell(sellers) claim this gun is a screw grip.i do not see it in the picture hence my request for an explanation.
cheers
mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hopefully gunman can confirm this but this is what I believe is a Webley Screw Grip action top lever:

as compared to this top lever

I have made an inquiry with AA Brown to see what their records show with respect to the gun in question (the second photo).

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well mr Martin I may be the goat here. Since there are no pictures of the breech face and in the face of gunman's strong and well informed opinion I got to back off and hit the books on this.
Gunman,what should we be looking at for confirmation of the Webley patent? Is the Jungle Gun a Webley patent with a doll's head extension? And how come I can never get this shit right?

Sidelock
Sidelock

justin.
i do not claim to be correct, i am only asking for assistance in identification from the photo. a fellow board member, roy hebbes, kindly sent me a copy of a marvelous screw grip article from a historical edition of shooting sportsman.it is a great read re screw grips.
cheers
doverham,
your top photo is indeed a webley horse shoe lever.
cheers

mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,The first illustration posted is the Webley Screw Grip[ie; the screwed bushing is separate from the operating lever and is usually marked,"patent" the bushing is machined to accept the lever].I would refer those interested to page 56 of ;"Volume 2, The British Shotgun," by Crudgington and Baker.Illustrated is T.Webley & T Bain patent 3053 of 1882," The Screw Grip".Reference is also made to Webley patent 1511 also of 1882 rib extension.The illustration that accompanies the patent drawing is a Leeson shotgun featuring a dolls head rib extension and third bite activated by the Webley Baine Screw grip.
Records indicate that Webley Screw grip action was made from1900-1946 and possibley as late as 1950. The action was sold in the white to many makers.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 09/26/12 05:02 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Lovel owes Doverham an apology, but, I can't see where anyone else owes one to anybody. 'Cepting, maybe, the guy who used the term "Lugg head".

Even after he was told he was looking in the wrong place.

By multiple people.

Again.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe posted: 'Webley & Scott made actions and parts for most all English gun makers...was Brown any different than say Holland and Holland ?'

It is a good question. The answer is that Brown's used their own forgings and machined them in house. They did not use webley actions. Browns built many of the Holland & Holland 'Northwood' boxlocks and 'Badminton' sidelocks.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.