March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

What about 28 1/3"? That would be an integer 72cm. Is safe on the safety? A cross check would be Sauer 106191 which is a V,L&D and in the notes at G&H. There was a large block of 103xxx & 106xxx production that went to V,L&D. It is noted as having a house /inspection number of 269A. Maybe G&H has the date range. Interesting that 107073 has the D.R.G.M. 130243 around the cocking indicators.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Mr. Beach's capital efforts, we now know that 106191 was in inventory at V,L&D by Summer of 1903, or arrived sometime in the 1st half of the year. He notes that there were several in the 106xxx serial number range that were in inventory in 1903. This is ground truth for the 106xxx manufacture block being in 1903 but there is the slight possibility that one was set back and completed later.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, safe is on the safety, there is only engraving around the cocking ,indicators, and barrels could be 28 1/3. Is the 228U on the barrels the build number#?

Craig

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Correction, the " safe "is block cut into the top tang, and the barrels measure 71.3 cm.

Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

The integer value for the tubeset length would have been 28". Not sure on the house number, inspection number, etc. S,D&G had a very large presence at the Sportsman Expo held at the Madision Square Garden and I believe it began 1895. At the 3rd annual event in 1897 S,D&G had a display case of 50 upper rung sporting weapons, which when summed was the most expensive display at the event. T.W. Stake was in charge of the display. By the 6th annual event in 1904, George R. Schneider had replaced T.W. Stake and George R. Schneider also represented S,D&G at many sporting events. He may have also competed? Anyway, it is possible that your recently acquired Daly Sauer gun could have been in the display case as some point. Without the S,D&G records it would be tough to prove.

Interesting below in a 1901 Schoverling, Daly & Gales advert that E.K. Tryon, Jr. & Company is an outlet for the Daly 3 Barrel Gun. I would hazard a guess that S,D&G owned some interest.

1901 Charles Daly Gun advert

I have wondered what the date of an advert when S,D&G referred to the Daly Gun as well as a Sauer scattergun?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the items that is very interesting in the period SD&G catalogs is how prominently the Sauer guns are presented. SD&G retailed a whole litany of very nice doubles. The 1909 catalog includes a wide range of Parker, LC Smith, AH Fox, Ithaca, and Lefever doubles for sale (among other lesser brands). But the Sauer guns are presented more prominently. The Sauer guns are advertised right behind the Daly guns in the catalogs and the photos/drawings of the Sauer guns are much larger than the other makes.

In the advertising superlatives, SD&G makes a big deal out of the Sauers being the finest "machine made gun in the world." The Dalys are presented as "entirely hand made guns." I always got a chuckle out of this as the highest grade Sauers are absolutely beautiful guns with impeccable fit and finish. In 1909, the ornately engraved Sauer model 60 retailed for $600, or $100 more than the Daly model 500 Regent Diamond quality gun. I was would guess the high-grade Sauers had at least a little bit of individual handwork in them (toungue firmly in cheek.)

In terms of the Craig's Daly, I don't think it is a rebadged model 40, or at least not a circa-1910 Sauer model 40. The 1909 SD&G catalog lists the Sauer model 40 as having both ejectors and game scene engraving. It does appear that Craig's gun has those. That said, earlier Sauer model 40s may not have had these features either (?). Let me taker a look at me 1902 and 1903 SD&G catalogs.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

S,D&G had their fingers in almost all the sporting weapon pies and I would be inclined to believe that firearms merchants in the U.S. of A. that have Sauer wares with their names atop placed their orders thru S,D&G. Ewd. K. Tryon, Jr., D.S. Spaulding, Louis D. Jordan, J.A. Pretchtel, Addison Stillwell/H.N. Scott/Henry Vogt all probably have a connection to S,D&G. Louis Jordan is of special interest as he is noted in 1897 as a Chicago gunmaker that has relatives at the Fr. Krupp facility and is the exclusive agent for Krupp steel tubes. He was born in 1870 and expired Nov. 24, 1932 in New Haven, Conn. from complications from pneumonia. He was some organizer of the Maxim Munitions Corp. Don't know where he apprenticed, but by he received a Bronze Medal at the 1893 World's Fair(Columbian) and possibly other awards for his wears noted as "handmade guns of highest excellence". Thru his relatives and with the aid of an uncle who was an officer of the court or something court related, he was able to import Krupp tubes or tubesets, blue and unfigured, comparable to Crown or Whitworth in appearance at the time. The method of joining is described as a dovetail effort and I wonder if it is similar to Sauer's patent. At first I think he mounted some effort to fit new Krupp tubesets to old frames for customers but the end result was hard on the eyes. In 1896 he received an order of 24 sporting weapons from Europe, 3 being drillings(one ordered by Dr. C.E. Fuller of Chicago) & 8 others having ejectors. The lot was reduced to 1/2 dozen by February 1897.

I think many of these examples to be just that and Craig's could have easily have been in the lot.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Louis Jordan, Gunmaker at 71 & 73 East Randolph Street - 1894 advert noting Medal at 1893 Columbian Expo.

It sure looks to have upper and lower scears, so I wonder if image is the sporting weapon he won the medal with it and where he sourced it.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr #294852 09/26/12 08:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey's post may have given some readers the impression that the 1893 World's Fair was held in "Columbia". It was, in fact, held in Chicago, and commemorated the 400th anniversary of Columbus' celebrated entry into the New World. A railroad car full of guns where displayed, hardly any of them documented by serial number, except the Parkers. There is much documentation of the companys that displayed, however, as well as pictures of the displays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I appreciate you keeping us on task 8bore. It appears I left a n off & I'll correct that. Colombia doesn't have a "u". Were any of the Parkers in the 1893 Chicago World's Columbian Exposition fitted by Louis D. Jordan with new tubesets?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.