April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Bob Jurewicz, Jimmy W), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
FJS Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Kuduae - Thank you for a comprehensive explination of the prominent features of my gun!

FJS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most insightful info indeed but I think your opinion to be anything but humble. Anyway, I didn't say the image I posted was without reservation that of the subject sporting weapon as it was the only somewhat similar image of a similar platform I had on hand. I can stomach much of your supposition but I think the tubes may have been sourced from the Austro-Hungarian empire. About this time makers were trying to settle on a central-fire hammerless design making it more or less a transitional stage. It is possible that makers were scrubbing one off at a time, but mechanization soon would have the upper hand. If I have the location of the town of Schmiedeberg being in proximity of the Czech(Prag) & Polish(Warsaw) border, I contend that on this walkabout that A. Kirchhof either developed sourcing lines or carried with him innovations in technology from his walkabout, making it a transfer of technology. A wild guess that his walkabout just may have taken him thru Prag & Warszawa, where there was a most interesting assembling of craftsmen for such locations as Herzberg, Prag & Spandau. Take the extensive Collette family of mechanics for example in Warszawa. Some were either born or passed thru the aforementioned cities of Herzberg, Prag & Spandau. With the merging of technology in Prag & Warszawa/Varsovie/Varsowie, it is possible that A.Kirchhof tapped into that circle of makers. For the most part designers just do not seem to put their designs to production, but they source from a talented pool of most capable mechanics who can. Moreover, I do not think that A. Kirchhof designed the ensemble, but at the very least sourced the components. During this early period it is possible that he could have been designer & manufacture but the probability is very low.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

At the time you are referring to, 1850 to 1900, Schmiedeberg was far away from the eastern German border. There was no Poland, Warszawa was a provincial city of the Czarist Russian empire. AFAIK the Colletes, Victor, Leon and Leopold, were a Liege, Belgium gunmaking dynasty from 1836 to 1909, with outlets in Warszawa and other places.
The former gunmaking town Herzberg with gunmakers like Tanner, Crause, Ebbecke, Welkner, Störmer, Klawitter and others never was in eastern Germany, not even after WW2. There the Hanoverian Gewehrfabrik (arsenal) was founded by king George II of GB & Hanover in 1738. Polish names were unknown here then. When G.F.Störmer closed his doors in 1929, the gunmaking in Herzberg came to an end. In fact, I know the town quite well, as I am responsible for the forests surrounding it. There are/were other Herzbergs farther east, but not gunmaking ones.
Mechanization was not so fast in the European guntrade as you think. In his 1884 book "Die Jagd und ihre Wandlungen" H.Corneli praises the factories of H.Pieper in Liege and Sauer & Sohn in Suhl. Pieper had a 60 hp steam engine which powered "near 400 machines" and could make guns with interchangeable parts "using the American system". Sauer & Sohn is described as the only German sporting gun maker well equipped with machines, so that little handwork is needed to make standardized guns.
What is now Czechia was then the Kingdom of Bohemia, part of the Habsburg k&k Austro-Hungarian empire. Prag was the provincial capital and Weipert the gunmaking center.
Jaroslav Lugs (a Czech btw) in his 1950s standard tome "Handfeuerwaffen" has not enough praise for the Bohemian gunmakers, but writes that they never made their own barrels, but always had to buy them in from Liege, Suhl and Ferlach.
So the idea that German gunsmithes bought in rough parts from mechanics in Czechia or Poland is ridiculous.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.