May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R Reynolds, LRF, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 704 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,609
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 57 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 56 57
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pictures, guys.

We have another couple weeks to go until the seasons open here in Maine. Until then, we have scattered frost in the mountains this morning.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

So Greg.....seeing all of these Grouse in your pictures.............are you having Grouse omelets for breakfast, Grouse burgers for lunch and last but not least roasted Grouse for dinner? smile

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, was only able to get out for a very short time today, so only took one, still it's great to get out. Duchess worked very well, put up a lot of pheasants, but only one small group of grouse, this one was a lonesome Charlie.

I was using my 16b Charles Hellis:

Best!

Greg

Sidelock
Sidelock

North Dakota has two seasons Feast and Famine. Greg is getting ready for the upcoming season of famine. grin

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually 1cdog, in this neck of the woods, er prairie, those who like eating sharpies usually bag their season limit and freeze them the first week or two of the season. Why, because very soon pheasant season opens and sharpies just do not compete well with the big bird that first week or two following the pheasant opener.

By November the sharpies are starting to bunch and than it is really difficult to get within gun range regularly.

Greg, is just one of the old hands out here.

Ask that same question of me each and every day of the pheasant season and I will provide you with the recipe of the day. We eat lots of them, fixed so many different ways.

bc
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, Bob is right, early in the year is the time to hit them. They hold better and don't start to get wild for a few more weeks and the young ones are better eating. Around here (for me at least) the hunting season is broken down into phases, Doves first, then Grouse, then Duck (opener is this weekend), then pheasant and last is deer. Upland birds go until the end. My boys and I take advanage of all of them. Besides, I just like to hunt, so I try to get out as much as I can.

Grouse are not really hunted much by locals here, they may go out the opening day and that's it. Guys like Bob and myself know better, they are a fun bird to hunt and can be a challange.

As far as eating goes, locals call Grouse "Flying Carp", but they can taste mighty good. All in the way you cook them! I've been blessed with a wife who is an exceptional game cook.

Windy today (up to 40mph gusts), will try and get out tomorrow. Hpe to post some more pics!

Be Good all!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't mean to start a fight, but it seems to me that you guys out west have it pretty good. With all those open spaces and "Big Sky" country I'll bet you can actually see your bird for more than 2.5 seconds after it flushes.

PLUS I'll bet you're facing the direction it flushes with all your limbs in place.

C'mon to New England for a real special taste of humble pie. That is, once you get the alder leaves and blackthorn's out of your mouth!

Oh, did I forget to mention opening day here in Massachusetts is only 4 WEEKS AWAY!?

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
I don't mean to start a fight, but it seems to me that you guys out west have it pretty good. With all those open spaces and "Big Sky" country I'll bet you can actually see your bird for more than 2.5 seconds after it flushes.

PLUS I'll bet you're facing the direction it flushes with all your limbs in place.

C'mon to New England for a real special taste of humble pie. That is, once you get the alder leaves and blackthorn's out of your mouth!

Oh, did I forget to mention opening day here in Massachusetts is only 4 WEEKS AWAY!?

To be honest, we do have it good out here!!! I wouldn't live anywhere except for out here. Your right on most points, still each area of the country has it's own set of difficulties. We have lots of steep hills (it's not all flat out here) and lots of wind to contend with. There's also lots of walking and I mean walking, the birds are not always within 100 yds of the truck.

Anyway, best of luck to you with your season, hope to see some pics of your hunts.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Greg - I'm just jealous!

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Greg - I'm just jealous!

You bet!!! I've hunted ruffs before, they sure can Pi$$ a guy off, with their tricks and turns. They are a fun bird!

Good Luck again!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

That may be true out on the prairie, but in the steep hills where the quail and chukar hide in the far west, it's a given that you'll be standing on one leg, facing the wrong direction and worried more about falling to great bodily harm, when the bird flushes. I intend to have Greg show me how the composed hunter hunts a civilized bird this year.

Page 6 of 57 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.