May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (JDH), 371 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,808
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could someone please help RedDot post pictures of the Webley Screw Grip action. I for one would like to see some good pictures of a Webley Screw Grip compared to the for lack of the correct name "Trade Action w/extensinon & spindle actuated 3rd lock" that Wrights & others used for their heavy proof guns. I don't think Homeless is alone in confusing these actions.

I've been struggling with posting pictures myself.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The seller and I were able to come to a meeting of the minds on pricing, so I am now the newest custodian of this gun. Thanks all for the helpful input.

Its previous owner was John Gregson, who writes for SSM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the best news I've heard this month. I'm sure it will perform at Journeyman level for the tasks you ask of it.

Congrats!

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,Pleased to hear that you have aquired the Gallyon/A.A.Brown wildfowl gun.I am sure it will fully meet your expectations.
In answer to your question, competition live bird shooting in the U.K.was banned in 1922.Pigeon shooting for sport and pest control continues today with the Wood Pigeon [Ring dove] being the primary quary bird for the vast majority of sportsmen.
During fall and winter months 100,s of thousands of these birds arrive in the U.K. from Europe, augmenting the local population to a level when serious damage to crops result.Daily bags in the 100,s are often achieved.This is not new sport,for example records show that in 1891 a T.G.Sowerby and two brothers shot 455 pigeons over decoys in a morning.
After 1922 Pigeon guns made by the British gun trade focused on non competitive live pigeon shooting in conjunction with clay pigeon shooting.
The typical Pigeon gun of the post war era was a 12 G SXS double, with 30 inch full choke barrels with file cut rib, chambered for 2 3/4 shells. These guns were nitro proof for 1 1/4 ozs loads.Corresponding weight of the gun ranged from 71/2 -7 3/4 pounds. The most popular action was box lock none ejector,with double triggers ,Purdey under bolts,Greener cross bolt and Side clips.
Makers catalogues of the era often also advertised this gun as a Wildfowl or Pigeon gun.The wildfowl versions were chambered for 3 inch shells & nitro proof for 11/2 ounce loads.The corresponding weight of the gun was increased to between 8.0 &9.0 pounds.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 09/14/12 09:10 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that 3" loads might be a bit unpleasant for all day use, but, that would be a fun old gun to use for sporting clays. I like the treatment applied to the the breech balls, it practically screams "kids, this is a big gun, it is not a toy"!
Let us know what you go through getting it here. I would advise finding an importer or at least an FFL who has imported a few guns.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats 3" inch standard not magnum .Although it was considered at its time to be 2&3/4" magnum equivolent .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd bet either would be unpleasant in fairly short order-the gun is shy of 8lbs. I like my loads like my women, a bit more petite than usual...

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy - I have done some "wood pigeon" shooting over here, standing next to silos and shooting pigeons as a favor to farmers. Good sport (and practice for dove hunting) but a dozen or two birds was the best we ever did. It would have been fun to have this gun in hand for those days.

Ted - I totally agree. Kent TM 1 3/8 oz loads is all I need and want to shoot out of this gun. Having the heavier proofs on this gun will provide some mental comfort for shooting loads with those pressures.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: RedDot
Joe. Your looking in the wrong place (not the extension) look at the action and lever. It is NOT a Webley & Scott and it is NOT a screw grip nut. This gun is a Birmingham trade action. If I knew how to post pic's I would show you a Webley screw grip nut.

RedDot.

He doesn't listen very well. We tried to get that through to him a page or two ago.

Best,
Ted

You two don't know what you are looking at.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: RedDot
Joe. Your looking in the wrong place (not the extension) look at the action and lever. It is NOT a Webley & Scott and it is NOT a screw grip nut. This gun is a Birmingham trade action. If I knew how to post pic's I would show you a Webley screw grip nut.

RedDot.

He doesn't listen very well. We tried to get that through to him a page or two ago.

Best,
Ted

You two don't know what you are looking at.

You can't count, either-since, three people have told you it wasn't what you thought it was.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.