May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jeremy Pearce, Jtplumb, AWOLF, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,847
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
As mentioned earlier it does appear to be a Scott actioned gun with their proprietary screw grip third fastener, which time has proven to be very strong and wears well.

The screw grip action was proprietary to Webley not Scott.

I had a nice 3" 1970's William Powell SxS and wasn't at all impressed by it's patterns...this gun might pattern 3" shells quite well then again it might pattern like a 20 ga.

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
I am probably the dumbest one posting on this thread but what makes ya'll think it is a pigeon gun?

Not to worry Mr. Snifflebean has you beat by a long shot laugh

I thought by the time this gun was built 3" ammo was outlawed for pigeon shooting competitions ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

Doverham does it say "AA Brown" on the gun somewhere or is the stamp some particular cartouche, like HAL did with the crossed pistols?

Mike - Gallyon has confirmed that AA Brown made the gun for them.

Fair point about waterfowler vs. pigeon gun.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Dover.

Not to belabor the point but I would expect a pigeon gun made in 1951 to have a single trigger. I don't know that though.

In my opinion the fact that it has double triggers is a plus. I have had many problems with single triggers on SxS guns. But I haven't shot in many pigeon shoots either. Exactly one now that I think about it. But I have thought about it a lot. grin

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/13/12 09:08 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,
The A.A.Brown stamp/trade mark is the Word; "ABAS"For further info;on the firm A.A.Brown & Son see my post on this forum today at 6.06 AM re;"Westley Richards question" origional posting,was by H.O.S.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 09/13/12 02:55 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Boxlock
Boxlock

This is NOT a screw grip nut and it is NOT a Webley & Scott action.

Doverham if you want the gun you should buy it it's not a bad price. Call Charles at BSA. NY and he will give you a price for importing it.

If this gun were on that nut Small Bore's site it would be 7000 GBP.

RedDot #293412 09/14/12 06:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rib extension shows it's a Webley & Scott proprietary screw grip action.

"Not a Bad price"....I've not actual saw an exact price.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Joe. Your looking in the wrong place (not the extension) look at the action and lever. It is NOT a Webley & Scott and it is NOT a screw grip nut. This gun is a Birmingham trade action. If I knew how to post pic's I would show you a Webley screw grip nut.

RedDot.

Boxlock
Boxlock

The seller is Francis Lovel and the price is 2995 GBP

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
Doverham,
The A.A.Brown stamp/trade mark is the Word; "ABAS"For further info;on the firm A.A.Brown & Son see my post on this forum today at 6.06 AM re;"Westley Richards question" origional posting,was by H.O.S.

Roy - thanks for this information. There is also a detailed history of the firm by Doug Tate on their website. AA Brown

On the waterfowl (excuse me, wildfowl) vs. pigeon gun question, Gallyon has confirmed that this was a wildfowl gun not a pigeon gun, which is consistent with Mike's question about the DTs and the heavy proofs. (Mike - I share your preference for DTs). Plus the gun was made in the aarly 50s - hadn't live pigeon shooting been banned in the UK by then?

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
RedDot #293428 09/14/12 09:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RedDot
Joe. Your looking in the wrong place (not the extension) look at the action and lever. It is NOT a Webley & Scott and it is NOT a screw grip nut. This gun is a Birmingham trade action. If I knew how to post pic's I would show you a Webley screw grip nut.

RedDot.

He doesn't listen very well. We tried to get that through to him a page or two ago.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.