May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (1574trap, azgreg, Jimmy W, Birdog, L. Brown), 194 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,028
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got money burning a hole in my pocket, but he won't sell/ship to CA. Oh well, the clown just lost a sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just read on another forum where a person was asking if it was safe to fire blanks in a Low-numbered 1903.

This is what it has come down to and looks to stay that way for some time.

Something to think about.

The same workmen using the same equipment, same steel and same heat treating built a half-million Krag rifles yet I have never heard of one with burnt steel. All the warnings about Krags over the years have had to do with the single locking lug.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have often seen the term "burned" when describing how the early single HT receivers got in to the problem condition.

Question..
What exactly is 'burned steel' as it related to HT/case hardening & the steel used in the '03?

If a piece is case hardened, however deeply,,and you don't want it case hardened anymore,,you anneal it.

Why couldn't the '03 be annealed and rehardened.
Wasn't it just being casehardened?.. or am I wrong right there..

What was the 'burned steel' thing that allowed the action the be case hardened in the first place (too deeply perhaps), but did something to the metal that wouldn't then (or now) allow annealing and re-case hardening.

Didn't the same guys ever 'burn' a Krag.

Confused,,but still shooting my Sedgley Sporter..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Do you think this guy would lower the price if we told him it was a low-numbered 1903 grin I like this rifle a lot, but suspect it will never leave the pawn shop.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=305336758

That has the same carving pattern as the rifle built for C.E. Sykes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[/quote] That has the same carving pattern as the rifle built for C.E. Sykes. [/quote]

You have a sharp eye, The one you are referring to is in a collection in Montana. It also has a Hoffman barrel. Sykes was one of the people who bought Hoffman and moved it to OK. There is a possibility that this rifle like the other one was his as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the Sykes rifle from the ad as it looks today. The owner tells me that it looks like it was near a campfire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
What was the 'burned steel' thing that allowed the action the be case hardened in the first place (too deeply perhaps), but did something to the metal that wouldn't then (or now) allow annealing and re-case hardening.

I shoot my Sedgley too.

Steel can be "burned" when it is raised to too high a heat, which will actually burn out some or all of the carbon. The steel looses its integrity, and furthermore no longer has the same carbon content so it becomes a sort of spongey, fragile iron. It's easy to do at the forge, if you're making (say) a knife, and leave it in the fire too long, and it turns white and starts to sparkle, then you've burned that part of the steel which might as well be cut off - it will never be useful as a knife.

I'd like to know how they heated the actions, how they quenched them, tempered them, etc. etc. Is this information in Hatcher's Notebook?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a book "United States Rifles and Machine Guns," by Fred Colvin and Ethan Vall, which describes all of the prcedures for making the 1903 . This book was prepared in the anticipation that more factories would bebuilt to make the 1903 rifle at the time of the beginning of our entry into World War I.
I have been told that this entire book is posted on the Internet. Since I have a copy, I haven't need to check. It may have been reprinted.
Any way the description of case-hareningis as follows:

OPERATION 91 CASEHARDENING

Description of Operation--Packed in new,whole bone, heated to 750 deg. c. (1,382 deg. F.) and heated for 2 12 to 3 hr. Apparatus and Equipment: Used--Brown & Sharpe furnaces for crude oil 10 to 14 lb. air pressue: firebox 30 x 45 in.: cast-steel boxes hold 42 receivers: quenched in oil." page 80

I have a copy of TM 9-2210, War Department, July 11 1942 "Instruction guide SMALL ARMS ACCIDENTS,MALFUNCTIONS, AND THEIR CAUSES,

The mmanual shows what can happens in various circumstnces, but it has no mention of low serial numbered Springields

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ryan McNabb
Originally Posted By: Kutter

I shoot my Sedgley too.

Steel can be "burned" when it is raised to too high a heat, which will actually burn out some or all of the carbon. The steel looses its integrity, and furthermore no longer has the same carbon content so it becomes a sort of spongey, fragile iron. It's easy to do at the forge, if you're making (say) a knife, and leave it in the fire too long, and it turns white and starts to sparkle, then you've burned that part of the steel which might as well be cut off - it will never be useful as a knife.

I'd like to know how they heated the actions, how they quenched them, tempered them, etc. etc. Is this information in Hatcher's Notebook?

Thanks Ryan,I appreciate the tech info. You obviously have hands on know-how.

With regard to the '03,,if it's low carbon steel to start with,,and they 'burned' it in the process (burned the carbon out of it),,,wouldn't the end result seem to be a soft, non hardened receiver when quenched? Not the brittle over hardened problem pointed to?
Again just trying to understand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.