May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (JohnfromUK), 398 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,815
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Big 12s have become a tough sell here in the states-IF they are Spanish or American. Pity the fool with a run of the mill 12 gauge model 21 for sale these days. I don't believe that is the case with English guns that fit the narrow pigeon gun/waterfowling gun description, and this one certainly does.
jOe's price is suspiciously close to what is asked for a new Benelli Super Black Eagle, a gun he owns and fondles a lot, but, doesn't talk much about, here. When you compare tangerines to tangerines, something built for a specific purpose, that you are going to use for a specific purpose, will always cost a bit more than a standard implement. That gun is built like a tank, I'd expect good, long service out of it, service that would chew up typical English boxlocks, built in typical game gun configuration.
I'd venture these guys are a little low on price, because they are only thinking in terms of resale, not long term specific use. I doubt you would find an English gun, configured as this one is, for less than $2500 on these shores, and they would be snapped up at that price, I'm guessing.
Good Luck, with whatever you decide to do, and I'd further advise against anything that says "Benelli" on the side-spotty reputation, you know.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need to up those meds just a tad Teddy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

'au contraire, mon idiot-you need to realize that you just priced a heavy English fowler as if it were your own Stupid Black Eagle.
And, it 'taint. Resale is only important if you plan on reselling. The original poster said nothing to that end. He DID say he wanted a heavy, English boxlock.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,

If the Gallyon is the configuration you are looking for, it fits you & the condition is as good as it looks in the photos I don't think $2500 to $3500 delivered in the US is out of line. You can't buy anything else that comes close to the quality for a similar ammount of money and as you know, heavy proof English boxlocks in nice shape are not that easy to find (at least they haven't been for me).

I bought a similarly configured 12 bore 3 1/4 Ton 1 1/4 OZ proof Charles Boswell marketed Webley Screw grip actioned gun for my wife to use as a Vintage Clays SXS gun a few years back & we both couldn't be happier with the choice (not positive who actually built the gun but suspect either Wrights or AA Brown.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Homless .It ain't no Webley .Brittany The Boswell guns were built by Webley ,as far as I know Malin bought a lot of barreled actions and they were finished in Canada ,Wrights by then had been taken over by Churchill and were only making Churchill guns .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good input - thanks all.

Hojo - the gun was reproofed in the past 10 years for 1.75 oz, so I think that should handle 1 3/8 Kent TM loads, which is all I would want to shoot.

SKB - thanks for the offer. That figure was a ballpark - I am waiting to hear back from the seller. Depending on that, I may take you up on your kind offer

Ted - you are correct, I have no plans to sell this. This gun appeals to me because it is purpose-built and covers my needs well. But we all know how that goes, so I am trying to get a sanity check. The boxlock true pigeon guns I have seen recently are being offered above the $2500 range, but none of them are built like this gun. Based on some of the comments here, it would seem that there may be some premium attached to who the trade gun maker is (assuming it can be verified).

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned earlier it does appear to be a Scott actioned gun with their proprietary screw grip third fastener, which time has proven to be very strong and wears well. This is a gun that will certainly outlast you and your children. And you may be assured the Browns would not have put their name on it if it wasn't up to their high standards. I say "go for it" and to heck with what the resale or whatever might be--that isn't the point.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe positively IDs the gun as a Webley and it turns out he's full of poop. Hmm. Imagine that.
Myself, I'd not put any stock in the name on a boxlock, but, would put a bit on what it could do for me. Honest English fowlers and pigeon guns are not an easy commodity to price, stateside, boxlock or otherwise.
I still say it would sell for more than an lightly configured game gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am probably the dumbest one posting on this thread but what makes ya'll think it is a pigeon gun? It has a safety and it is heavier than the average English pigeon gun. Seems more like a waterfowl gun to me.

I have a Gallyon 16 that is sculpted the same as this gun around the balls and top lever. Great gun.

Doverham does it say "AA Brown" on the gun somewhere or is the stamp some particular cartouche, like HAL did with the crossed pistols?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/13/12 06:32 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
As mentioned earlier it does appear to be a Scott actioned gun with their proprietary screw grip third fastener, which time has proven to be very strong and wears well.

The screw grip action was proprietary to Webley.

I had a nice 3" 1970's William Powell SxS and wasn't at all impressed by it's patterns...this gun might pattern 3" shells quite well then again it might pattern like a 20 ga.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.