March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (cable, craigd, battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,

Thanks for the story and photos.

I'll speak for all of us who live in a state like Michigan with the illogical, publically mandated law of "No Dove Huntin". Thank you once again for we really appreciate seeing such a hunt!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 09/02/12 07:36 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Mark. That keeps me from feeling like I'm tooting my own horn. I don't meant to, just enjoy sharing it with those who can't get out and enjoy, for whatever reason.

I will admit to shooting poorly with the .410. The hardest thing about it is remembering that you just don't have the range you have with a 20. Going back to my 687 SP II Sporting on Monday afternoon. I'll let ya'll know how that one goes, maybe some more pics of grandson Jackson.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Looks like y'all had a great shoot. I noticed the lack of fresh shrimp being served this year. wink However, the chicken looked great. Y'all had better sense than we did down in Screven Co. Ours was a new field with zero history. Huntmaster had been finding birds in the field early afternoon and had us on the stands at 1:30 and it was hotter than holy hell. Birds didn't start moving until about 3:00 and it was hot and fast. We got out the field about 5:00. We limited ourselves to 12@, hoping to shoot it at least 2 more times over the course of the season. The field is nearer Rocky Ford than Sylvania in an area of not much in the way of field crops. We had the only game in town and heard no shoots going on in any direction. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gil,

Yeah, I missed the shrimp/low country boil. Man, was it hot. I've shot in hotter conditions but the humidity was just so rough. Sure helps that I work out in that kind of heat every day on the farm. Doesn't make it any more pleasant, but a lot easier to enjoy the shooting.

Kinda gives the phrase "a warm corner" a whole new meaning, eh?

Check your p.m.(s), Gil.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan we had 107* on my thermometer yesterday. I thought it was wrong until I checked with the neighbor and he had the same. This North Dakota boy almost melted. Nice pics. That chicken feast looks good.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
J.R.B. #291615 09/02/12 08:47 AM
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Stan we had 107* on my thermometer yesterday. I thought it was wrong until I checked with the neighbor and he had the same. This North Dakota boy almost melted. Nice pics. That chicken feast looks good.

BINGO!! Don't forget the high winds either, they were in the 25 to 30 mph range. My boys and I tried to hunt some, but we didn't see any except on the power lines and darn few of them. Today should be a better, only 87 or so and winds to about 15. We'll give her another go after Church.

Best of luck to all of you!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

You're killing me Stan! We still have 3 weeks to go! Thanks for sharing!

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice Stan. What a great setup. Thanks for the pictures.

I am going tomorrow - a few miles North of Lubbock. I am taking five Brittanys, one eight months old. Really looking forward to their joy at being out hunting again and to the baby's reaction to his first-time experience of a bird fluttering down out of the sky. He has an obsessive compulsive personality disorder and continuously chases and barks at flying birds.

Will probably shoot a choked too tight 8 pound Parker VH12 with 32" barrels.

My shooting student Joe Wood is in the cool of the Sangre De Cristo mountains with the rest of the girly men so I won't get to shoot his birds for him this trip.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/02/12 11:21 AM.

I am glad to be here.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
If I hadn't brought a camo golf umbrella lashed to a section of lightweight conduit to provide shade in the field, I might have been calling Ralph myself. I can't think of many times when conditions were this bad on opening day. I was able to zip off the pants bottoms and strip down to undershirt. I must have poured a half gallon of water on my neck and head during the afternoon. Gil

"Old age and treachery overcome youth and skill"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,glad yall had a great time! I attended a pay shoot with 70 people and great food and desert.It was really hot and humid.About too much for an old man and i got in a cold blind! Missed the first shot i got about an hour after i was in blind but killed next four i shot at.Finally got nine with the 16 ga Fox AE and i was burned up and neck hurting.Had a good time though. Bobby

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.