April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, eeb, buckstix, PALUNC, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 967 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#291495 09/01/12 06:55 AM
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Life begins again! On this farm the new year begins on the Saturday before Labor Day. It is the equivalent to the Glorious 12th for our Brit brothers. My son and his two sons will be on the field with me this afternoon. Pics and a report will follow this evening.

My best wishes to all who will test their mettle against those little grey feathered stunt pilots today.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck and happy hunting. New year and new life doesn't start for me until the 13th of October when pheasant season opens. I'm just winding down from summer walleye fishing. grin

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a good one Stan....it is what shotgunning is all about, truly addictive.......top of the list for fast action............

Swing and load.....

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are up and ready to go! The sun is showing signs of life.OFf to the only wet spot in the county...Chase the cattle off it and wait for the doves..Film at 10..

J.R.B. #291532 09/01/12 11:55 AM
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Good luck and happy hunting. New year and new life doesn't start for me until the 13th of October when pheasant season opens. I'm just winding down from summer walleye fishing. grin

10/13/1951, I first saw the light of day (and started thinking about shooting doves) laugh

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: J.R.B.

10/13/1951, I first saw the light of day (and started thinking about shooting doves) laugh

SRH

Yep, 10/16/56, I first saw the light of day. Was almost born with Dad's 10 gage Remington in my hand if I could have lifted the heavy thing.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

First day Sept 16th 1952 (first day I was old enough to have a license and carry my own gun) prowling the dusty back country roads of Bonneville Co. Idaho for doves. Dad was pretty much a pot hunter so the method wasn't very sporting as he did it. Line up as many doves on the roadside barbed wire as possible, take a slight angle on the fence line and kill as many with one shot as the pattern would allow. But I slipped away behind some cottonwood trees and took a couple of birds on the rise from a field and from passing - I wanted to shoot them flying, not like chickens sitting on a roost. Dad chastised me a bit about wasting shells for so little to eat, but I bought my own shells and ignored him. We came from different circumstances thanks to his providing for us, unlike his youth in the Great Depression when another meal wasn't assured.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We filled 3 limits by 10! Napping as befits successful hunters..Even got about a dozen of the big collared doves...

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Well, here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good. We ate well, as always. Grilled chicken quarters, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, a cold cabbage salad, red skin potatoes, rolls, three kinds of cakes and peach cobbler, all followed up with a churn of homemade strawberry ice cream.

Lunch was followed by some time killing. Hey, it went to about 94 this afternoon with high humidity, the birds weren't gonna feed until about 3:30-4:00 p.m., so why sit out in the heat and be cooked? Sorry 'bout the profile shot of the guy in the green t-shirt. eek (The ugly)

We shot for about two and a half hours. Man, it was hot. No shade in the sunflower field, but, the action was just as hot. Jackson, my 10 yr. old grandson started out a bit off with the "new" 20 ga. SKB, but soon got tuned in on the incomers and ended the afternoon with 8 or 9. Not bad for a new gun with a full length L.O.P. in the hands of a 10 yr. old.

I killed the limit with the Yildiz .410 S x S, while Jackson's little brother Lane, age 7, acted as our bird boy and shagged doves for both of us. Plenty of cold water kept us going until about 5:45 p.m. when we decided to call it quits and let the birds come in and feed unmolested. One guest, who works in a "controlled atmosphere" got too hot and got pale and started puking. Some friends got him in a truck with a/c asap, then carried him home. Guess he got alright. (The bad)

Almost all the doves were put in a pile back at the shed and cleaned forthwith. (I like that word, forthwith grin )

A great day with the grandboys. One of these days Lane will be shooting alongside his brother Jackson and me, but for now he is happy just being out with the guys (and getting to wring the heads off birds that aren't dead shocked ).

Tough work, but we get to do it all over again Monday. Lots more good than bad or ugly.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/01/12 09:38 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Took my son for the last time before he goes off to college. Ended up three short of two limits but found every single bird we shot without a dog. First time like that in years. Stood next to him for four hours and talked about life, hunting, birds, family and both his and my future. Best day together in years. Like a day my father shared with me many years ago. I even took a few pictures of him and the birds.

Funny thing we noticed is that every bird we killed was a young bird. Weather here pushed a lot of birds out two days ago. Perhaps the youngest birds were too young to travel or not aware of bad weather coming.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.