May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 754 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will be really thankful for the information how stock dimensions should depend of shooter dimensions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ivans,
I would recommend this book "Gunfitting" by Michael Yardley

http://www.amazon.com/Gunfitting-Quest-P...TF8&s=books

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think you will find that there is sufficient correlation to be worth while. I am not aware of anyone who claims to be able to measure the shooter and predict stock dimensions. Good idea if it could be done.

ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok. But why when we are ordering a gun from the maker we are making some measurements of our body?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Gun Digest ,1988 edition, published a fitting chart used by W.C. Scott & Sons. I have been using it in my business for over 17 years now. It asks for dimensions of the shooter's physique and some information about your shooting style. However, talking to the maker when filling out the chart allows the professional to fine tune the "chart" for each customer. To date, I have a 98% blind fitting success rate on custom gunstocks using this system.

I was suprised and pleased to find that the American Custom Gunmakers Guild uses the same chart in their booklet..."Guide to Building A Custom Gun." The booklet is available from the ACGG.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DES/TSD
what Gun Digest do you mean?
Concerning ACGG. I asked them. Unfortunately I received no reply.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree with DES for those that shoot " gun mounted " style. But " gun down " would have to be done in person with the fitter. JMHO - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never ordered a gun with custom dimensions but I'm not sure what you just said is even true. If I were ordering one, I'd tell them what I wanted in LOP, DAC, DAH and cast-off. I would not expect them to make it based on my shirt size or other irrelevant figures.
This reply is to Ivans second post.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/03/07 05:39 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ivans

The Gun Digest Book printed for 1988. The new magazine with that name is not the same thing. The book has been printed for many years and is a yearly publication. If you will give me a fax number, I have an original copy of the chart, I will send it to you. I obtained the chart from England via direct communications with the company holding the W.C. Scott name in 1988. I am sorry you didn't get a reply from ACGG. I will investigate.

As for low gun and high gun fitting. As a custom builder for over 20 years,(I have been in this industry since 1981) my clients have been from every form of shooting style and firearm catagory. So far, I have a 98% success story on first try. The remaining 2% have been "adjusted" not remade. That 2% encouraged me to give the client a trial period for shooting the gun before final delivery. It has been well worth the extra time and satisfied clients. It may also have helped that I have worked for companies in the past that had clients present for actual shooting at patterning boards,clay tagets and range time. I learned a lot from those sessions that has been used in fitting via the W.C. Scott method.

I will also say that there are no "average" shooters. It is up to the client and the builder to talk and talk not only about what they look like but how they shoot. Everyone has their own style, even if taught a specific discipline style. There will come a time when difficulties will arise and the percentage will fall, so far, not yet.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most (all) Best gunmakers employ Instructors/Gunfitters who would meet with the prospective new buyer at the pattern plate.
There the gunfitter would advise and perhaps educate /change the customer in the correct method of mounting and shooting, with the use of a 'Try-Gun' the customers basic preferred measurements would be arrived at.These dimensions would then be conveyed to the workshop to give the stocker some dimensions to work to.
I believe the purpose of the W.C.Scott chart was to allow the customer to provide a set of dimensions that Scott's could select a stock that was near to the final form and possibly only then required minor alterations.It allowed them the insight as to wether they were stocking for a Giant, Dwarf, stick insect or rotund jolly old chap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.