May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (jake van dyke, Jimmy W, old colonel, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,441
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, say, I have a hammergun (German) that the opening lever is left of center. Here are the details on the gun. The gun is tight with and without forend (no movement, rattle, just solid), is on face the gun has a Greener Crossbolt and sideclips.

My question is, is there a "home" remedy to get the lever to the center?

What are your thoughts overall on this situation?

Thanks so much!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think there is a Video on Midways site that shows you how to use Jack Rowes technique of peening the rear locking lug to tighten it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please don't peen anything on the gun. Peening will result in a loss of value.

Phil

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, the gun is still tight and functions fine, just that that damn lever bugs the heck out of me. The crossbolt BTW is flush with the fences, not receeded or sticking out.

Thanks!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is actually tight on face, the locking surface(s) are engaging properly,,don't get too hung up on the lever position left of center.
It, like the church bell ring of the barrels hanging from your index finger,,they are great audience pleasers and sales tools.
But the lever isn't a dial indicator and the 6'0'clock and forward position does not carry some evil N0-G0 condition with it.
It obviously can show you wear over time,,but you must know where the thing started from to begin with.

If it really bothers you and the lock up is tight,,you can do as one large restoration shop did quite often.
Take the lever out,,heat it and bend it to the right a few degrees from the spindle.
Reblue or color it and put it back in.
Nothings changed inside,,still locks up the same. But everyone is happy the gun must be OK,,cause the 'lever is to the right'.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Kutter!! I'm more than likely making a mountain out of a mole hill, just one of those things that sticks in your mind. I'm no Gunsmith and I'm not going to get to anal over this and over react.

So.....until the gun falls apart, I'll just forget it.

Thanks again!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones is right on about the Jack Rowe DVD available from Midway. He shows how to peen the rear lug with a cross peen hammer and how to remove the hammer marks so that the repair is invisible. I used the method on an old double I had and it worked great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stock just went down on the Jack Rowe video...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stock went down etc:

This is the accepted English way of tightening the bolt -lug fit, knowledge of the facts will be enlightning to you when
you review the accepted procedure

Last edited by Stallones; 08/26/12 10:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brits also grind the heck out of the inside and outside of shotgun barrels until they can't be sold, but that doesn't make it something I want to do. Of course, a little invisible metal movement is probably harmless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.