May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (KY Jon, L. Brown, Hugh Lomas, HMAK, Dave Weber, Guy Ave), 918 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,406
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#289588 08/17/12 10:18 PM
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking a gun that was dropped and the end of the barrel apparently hit concrete and caused a deformation/compression at the end. Doesn't even show on the inside of the barrel and the barrel is still round, just dented in a tad. Is it possible to Micro-weld the end of the barrel to clean it up? Just looks like hell. Doesn't affect the use of the gun just the looks. Thoughts?

PS. Maybe this is why you find old guns that have had 1/4 to 1/2" of barrel cut off.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would cirtainly consider TIG welding the damage using mild steel filler wire but be careful not to let the heat loosen the ribs. Short sharp welds with plenty of cooling time inbetween and/or damp cloth wrapped round.
Dressing off the end of the tubes to remove the damage should be avoided if possible as it may remove the steel fillet filling the void between rib and barrel ends.

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pictures added. Think this gives a better idea for sure:

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welding is not a good idea , amongst other potential problems burning the edges off ,having to rebore the choke ends ,loosening the ribs , it can can cause hard spots .This is not good on barrels .Plus the fact that when the weld is cleaned off the blacking will have been damaged so it will mean a re black adding to the expense .
I have done dozens of these sort of "touch up " jobs ,frequently when barrels are to be re blacked and the customer is unaware of any damage , so my best advice is to have the muzzle filed up ,you may loose a 1/16" but what the hell . If the filler pieces in the ends between the ribs comes out or is only solder then it is no big deal to make and fit new ones or to re solder the end .
No point in making a simple job complex and expensive .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or you could just leave it as is, as s reminder yourself that life is not perfect, but so what?
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with gunman on this one. Very common type of damage that I've always treated just as gunman recommends. Dress up with a file to make it less noticable. You may not remove all of the damage, but it is easy to make it look much better. If you mess up the solder and fillers at the end it is simple to repair for anyone familiar with soldering. I assume this is just an average gun and not something on the level of a Best gun. If it were, then Toby's more expensive route might be in order.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Welding is not a good idea , amongst other potential problems burning the edges off ,having to rebore the choke ends ,loosening the ribs , it can can cause hard spots .This is not good on barrels .Plus the fact that when the weld is cleaned off the blacking will have been damaged so it will mean a re black adding to the expense .
I have done dozens of these sort of "touch up " jobs ,frequently when barrels are to be re blacked and the customer is unaware of any damage , so my best advice is to have the muzzle filed up ,you may loose a 1/16" but what the hell . If the filler pieces in the ends between the ribs comes out or is only solder then it is no big deal to make and fit new ones or to re solder the end .
No point in making a simple job complex and expensive .
-- Agree 100%- when you weld pipe (gun barrels are pipe sections) just as in any other welding in metal jointing or fabrication job, heat always moves from the thicker mass towards the thinner, just as water always runs downhill- Do NOT TIG weld any metal parts on a double gun-- barrels, rib extensions, and on any parts that are case hardened- the results will make you want to puke--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't look to me like it would affect the pattern or create any danger at all. I'd leave it alone. All a cosmetic correction would accomplish is a better return when you sell it, and even then a botched correction would just make it worse...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having seen the minimal damage I would agree that welding is unnecessary, dressing it off a little would make it unnoticeable.
However, I have to disagree on some points with both Gunman and RWTF.
Firstly an experienced craftsman with a TIG welder would not do any damage to the chokes and neither would he damage the blacking more than it is worn already.
Secondly, in my ignorance I was unaware that barrels and rib extensions were case hardened. New one on me.
If the case hardening was still apparent on ACTION components, then welding is bound to destroy them. Rarely on a gun needing this kind of quite extreme repair does one find much in the way of case colour.
However, I have had very fine TIG welding done within a few mm of traces of CH and once the weld is dressed off and the immediate area suitably polished (or otherwise) the CH was still there and unchanged.
I would most certainly disagree with RWTF's assertion that one must 'NOT TIG weld any metal parts on a double gun'.
If I followed that rule, many modest guns would be consigned to the scrap heap due to the price of making up new sears, luggers, extractor toes, corroded furniture, damaged casting... the list goes on and on.
TIG welding done by a craftsman with experience in gun parts (parts which then go on to be correctly hardened, tempered and finished) is capable of repairs that I have considered to be miracles at the time but now I accept as almost commonplace.
Technology is a wonderful thing. It should be wielded by people who have a sense of what is and is not possible but the guts to experiment (and admit when it doesn't work!).

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

FWIW, this is a small gauge Fox Sterlingworth. Thanks for comments thus far.

foxes rule
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.