May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Chantry, KDGJ, MattH, Karl Graebner), 523 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#287843 08/03/12 10:24 PM
Vern Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

For storage, be it short or long term, after a thorough cleaning I reassemble the shotgun (SxS), insert snap caps into the chambers and pull the triggers. Then I remove the forend and take off the barrels (removing the snap caps) then putting the shotgun into it's fitted case. Am I doing this properly?? Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes - if easing springs is the goal, but there is a suggestion that it's cycling springs, rather than keeping them under tension which weakens them over time; then again, I've got mainsprings in guns which I suspect are approaching 200 years old which remain tensioned even when eased, and they still move hammers well enough to go bang...

An easy alternative is to hold a block of hardwood flat against the breech face to cushion the firing pins.

Last edited by cadet; 08/04/12 03:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. Sounds right to me. Depending on the design of the ejector mechanism, the ejector springs will be the only thing that has tension on them. Your mainsprings in the action will be at rest, that arguably is a good thing.
Some people will say never to leave a gun stored in a case. If there is any moisture at all in the case, it could mean a disaster. Better to store the gun in a cabinet or safe. I tend to agree, but many vintage guns have been stored their entire "lives" in cases and have survived just fine. Food for thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You better not try that with an LC Smith or you will never get the forend back on without cocking the hammers which if you don't know how can ruin your day and scuff up your gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vern
For storage, be it short or long term, after a thorough cleaning I reassemble the shotgun (SxS), insert snap caps into the chambers and pull the triggers. Then I remove the forend and take off the barrels (removing the snap caps) then putting the shotgun into it's fitted case. Am I doing this properly?? Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

Vern

Unless your gun cocks on opening. In that case a horn block was used to strike the hammers on after the barrels were removed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I do not fire off the gun before disassembly. I have not seen any evidence that it helps. It also makes the gun harder to re-assemble as you have to cock the locks and ejectors as you do so, or before you can.

Also, I do not store guns in the case. The case is intended for transportation, not long-term storage.

The case lining can hold damp, which will rust the metal over time.

I store guns muzzle-down in a gun safe, all together. Fire off the locks with snap caps if you like and leave them in.

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Vern

Vern

Unless your gun cocks on opening. In that case a horn block was used to strike the hammers on after the barrels were removed.

I agree...snap caps are not needed here, not even a horn block. For years, I have used a wooden or plastic screw driver handle pressed against the breech face, then I reassemble and store the gun with springs relieved. No big issue about cocking; this is done when I open the gun again (which I don't until I'm going out to shoot it).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have kept guns in cases on the shelves of a humidity controlled (goldenrod) safe, I usually crack the lid. Any humidity will quickly leave the case, no problems to date.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Simson BLE will not go back together if the triggers are pulled while disassembled, b/c of the cocking hooks. Also, opening the gun after pulling the triggers recocks the hammersprings, defeating the purpose of the exercise. Re-cocking the hooks is a beast of a job, requiring a screwdriver to push them to the cocked position. If the driver slips, it's a great way to wickedly cut one's finger - the ends of the hooks are beastly sharp. I know. I did it once and it took a month to heal.

I think storing the gun assembled with snap caps in and triggers pulled is probably "best", if dropping the hammers to relax the springs is your intent. For this purpose I would advise in favor of plastic snap caps (and definitely not old shells as snap caps) so as to avoid even the possibility of a reaction between aluminum caps and steel barrels (aluminum and steel will set up an electrolytic reaction if there's any moisture) or, worse, steel on steel possibly rusting together if there's any moisture.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Botttom line here is you simply cannot write a simple single set of directions that is applicable to all makes & models of double guns, they have different features. Some guns can be dissembled & reassembled with the hammers either cocked or uncocked, others can't. Many guns can have their hammers lowered in the process of closing them, others can't. However after lowering the hammers by either method, "Most" guns will allow removal of the bbls after taking off the forend without cocking the hammers, maybe a few won't but they are I think in the minority.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.