April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Bill Graham, Stanton Hillis, susjwp), 429 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pod
my monies on you, there is always a way. im sure ill get a homeless joe type response from the experts for even thinking of this fix.

I'll bet after waking up next to her for a couple of days ol'George would be more than happy to make you the proud owner of said fair maiden....

feathers and all laugh

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
The fellow that let it get in this state of disrepair should be pistol whipped....

jOe, I got to disagree with you there. This gun has seen more action than you and me might ever hope to put a gun to. The stock, though solid and uncracked, is worn smooth from shooting. The old practice of honing the barrels every year has the muzzle ends so thin they'd cut you. The locks though are just as crisp and functional as any I've ever seen. I don't think this gun was abused, it was just used to death. The barrels are the main problem; in addition to being a little 'airy', they're shot off face to an extent I'm afraid the chamber block is going to have to be put back on face before a sleeve can be done. I think it just got shot to death and after that nobody ever thought it might be worth bringing back...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eugene molloy
Quote:
Anyone know what the three plumes on the gold oval inlay in the stock may signify?
The three plumes are generally taken as being "The Prince of Wales' Feathers", an heraldic device that goes back to the thirteenth century (or before for all I know) being the badge and symbol of the Princes down the ages.Eug

Mr. Molloy, I must apologize for the "three plumes" thing I posted in jest. I knew what the Prince of Wales' symbol was. I was just checking to see if my American friends here were on their toes. I should have figured that an Englishman would know immediately what my reference was and might be thrown off guard. I shouldn't have done that given the seriously helpful nature that this thread has followed. Actually, I am unable to tell just what the symbol is on the escutcheon, but I see no resemblace to the Lascelles' Coat of Arms...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I think it just got shot to death and after that nobody ever thought it might be worth bringing back...Geo

"nobody" was right this time....

I would suggest you cut the barrels ahead of the fore arm and make a table lamp out of your $1000 investment...but that would be like putting salt in a wound.

Truthfully I was shocked to see the gun for sale on this site and commented on it accordingly several times hoping to save someone from making the same blunder you did of buying the name instead of the gun that you did....but the seller got my comments removed....Then kept bumping (TTT...more like floating) the terd to the top of the sale section till he got a bite.

Sidelock
Sidelock

HomelessjOe,

You have no right nor place to cast aspersions on anyone's product in the for sale section. It is not ethical for you to play sourcing vigilante and to decide who is asking too much for a product for which you have no interest in buying, and then post your nonsense on their threads.

It is particularly unethical because those that advertise on this site are PAYING for that privilege under the assumption they are entitled to a fair marketplace. They do not wish to be subjected to your appraisals of their goods or services.

Upon selling the gun to George Newbern (selling it for less than I purchased the gun for delivered, mind you), I contacted George to make sure he was satisfied in the way the gun was represented, the proper nature of the packaging,and to make sure it was not damaged in shipment.

In short, (and I've asked you this many times many ways, as have others) why don't you cease and desist with your baseless allegations that others are "jipping" each other on a sale. It isn't right and you specifically have been attributed to the downhill direction of this site, its camaraderie, and its generally friendly tone, even omitting your unethical behavior on the sale/trade board.

Last edited by Rookhawk; 07/19/12 10:34 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Aawwwe jOe, not another bucket of cold water on my little dream of restoring a nice gun!

jOe's aversion to the restoration of fine old guns all goes back to the time a few years ago when he got taken to the cleaners on a sleever Purdey. He was so proud of that gun he leaned it up against trees and took pictures of it to "float in our punchbowl" here. The sleever Purdey was most likely an alright gun, but jOe took such a ribbing on this forum he got rid of it.

As for Rookhawk, he's been a perfect gentleman in this transaction. When I bought the gun he took the time to fully disclose the problems it had and share his ideas for a 'sympathetic restoration'. I have no problem whatever with what I paid him for the gun or with the way he handled the transaction.

I've thoroughly enjoyed investigating this extremely interesting and fine old gun and thinking through the process of bringing it back to a new shooting life. The provenance I recieved from Boss&Co. linking the gun to such a prominent British family during the heyday of shooting history has made the research even more enjoyable.

I promise jOe that I'll keep this project in perspective and try my best not to go broke in the process...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Rookhawk's comments about Joe. If there was any reason to ban someone from this forum, interfering with someone's ability to sell something they own, and are honestly advertising, has to be tops on the list. But for some unknown reason this type of behavior has been tolerated for far too long.

And this doesn't even touch on all the other contentious behavior that the person in question has displayed on these forums.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

jOe's aversion to the restoration of fine old guns all goes back to the time a few years ago when he got taken to the cleaners on a sleever Purdey. He was so proud of that gun he leaned it up against trees and took pictures of it to "float in our punchbowl" here. The sleever Purdey was most likely an alright gun, but jOe took such a ribbing on this forum he got rid of it.

This site had nothing to do with me selling the sleeved Purdey hammer gun...fact is I made several thousand dollars when I sold it.

Something you'll never do with this tOmato stake laugh

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

so joe by your way of thinking if i said you weren't worth having on this BB you should leave? is it my decision to tell who stays and who goes?i wanted this boss but to many project .i think i could save this gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think everyone should sail as close to the wind as they think practical; we are all honourable men I'm certain--but also horsetraders. As most of us have noticed, you can flog a dead horse all you want and it still won't come up on plane. Maybe it's better to look for signs of life before saddling oneself and then having no way to get back on the right tack. With that said, I've had some nagging infatuations and paid for them as I'm sure will George so if he's happy coming out the back end of this one, he should be congratulated for being a heavy duty, no complaints, I make the weather sort of fellow. All good! Of course, some of it better than other.

jack

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.