April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jason Dubois, David Kinton, 1 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

About 15 years ago at the Las Vegas show,I spotted an English gun case I wanted to buy. The gun in it looked like a nice one, but I didn't pay much attention to it because I really just wanted the case. The owner didn't want to sell the case alone. When I got back home, I gradually realized the seller wasn't asking all that much for the gun and case. I sent him a check,and when the case arrived I was amazed to see how nice a gun the Joseph Harkom really was.I've enjoyed it ever since. About three years ago I found another,not entirely original but almost better since it had been rebarreled by Boss with best chopper lump barrels sometime in the fifties.Does anyone know if Harkom records are available? Incidentally, the Harkom actions bear a striking resemblance to those Daniel Fraser used in his double rifles. Was there some connections between the two shops?

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

rmb, no reason to be surprised at action similarity. Almost without doubt, both sourced machined actions from Birmingham; maybe even barreled actions or complete guns in-the-white. The smaller makers seem to have made good use of the trade. For now, we can only guess at how much work was done in the shop of/by Mr. Harkom his very self. However, we can for sure appreciate the end product, how ever he got it done, that Mr. Harkom got out.

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Having spoken to a lot of Birmingham gunmakers - nobody has any folk memory of who made guns/parts/barreled actions for Harkom pre-WW2, or pre-WW1 if I think about it.

It appears that the better Scottish gunmakers had their own men and did the vast majority of the work themselves.

After WW1 more and more began to buy in part or fully completed guns from AA Brown (whom made Dickson boxlocks), Webley and the other Birmingham wholesalers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Smallbore mentions 'Best Guns' as non-ejectors; so here's an example from my own collection. It is a Midland Gun Company of Birmingham double 12 based on their catalogued gun called The Best Boxlock Ejector De-lux except for some reason it was made as a non-ejector but more curious still it has all the added extras that were options for this model such as single trigger, 3" chambers, ivory bead foresight and solid gold oval. Apologies in advance for poor photo quality. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun.....but the wood work is a long way from being best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun Michael. cool
Joe, you're cracked !...and brutally honest ,alway's good for a chuckle with the morning coffee wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely engraving on that gun, Lagopus. Is that a pin next to the triggerguard screw (my apologies for not using the proper Brit gunmaker terms)? If so, what does it do?

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham, sorry I don't know the answer to that one; maybe Smallbore can answer.

Joe, it's just what Midland Gun refer to as the 'Best Boxlock' that they do. It is quite a light stock but I don't think that the photo does it justice. It could just be as the customer chose for that gun. I thought that I would just illustrate it in reply to Smallbores comments on higher end non-ejectors as an example.

Thanks Newf. Curiously the added extras would have bought this:

Their sidelock non-ejector 20 bore 'Dreadnought' model and couple of flats of cartridges for each gun! Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig and Lagopus Thanks very much for the pics,they are beautiful !Could someone please tell me what is wrong with the woodwork on that Midland?

N.R.A lifer
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Harkoms are very nice, but I'd like them better if they had scalloped actions.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.