April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, Argo44, Vall, Lawrence Kotchek, fab500), 1,016 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RHD45
Good Lord!!

The inevitable result of adding money to any situation.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK...here we go...I can't tell you guys what his touchmark is ...because I've been I've been goose piled at this website way too many times. But Dave Weber has been kind enough to allow me to speak my piece, painful as it is to hear...

Again I can't tell what his touchmark is because Rabbit would probably get out the pitchforks and have me burned alive....so I'm just going ask the good readers of this board to look at this material starting with this link first.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=263984

George and Rabbit please avert your eyes...

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rest of these photos wouldn't be possible if it were not for a DGBBS member taking time to teach me how to easily,quickly, properly post photos...many thanks to Builder if he's still reading

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

All I got to add is that a lot of guys who think they can engrave a bird on a gun, really can't. Or couldn't. Winston Churchill's work, this ain't.
Zutz was absolutely, positively, correct in his assessment of typical early American gamescene engraving.
You boys can fight over it. Enjoy.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm afraid I agree with Ted. There's no reason to trash this type of engraving; it's American primitive. Sort of like a Grandma Moses on your shotgun. The engraving is cartoon-like and very awkward-looking. I have several Gorosabel (Spanish) shotguns with engraving of similar characteristic.

Now, there's noting wrong with such a style but to my eye it is awkward and not true to nature. For example, look at the hind legs of the dog on the first image posted a few posts above. Those are pretty anthropomorphic legs!

Personally I don't think cartoon characters have a place on a gun unless one wants a rendition of Popeye or The Shadow.

But nonetheless they represent the style of an era and are certainly valid expressions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think this engraving is pretty good:

But if I spotted Mr. Chambers hint It is is not by Joe Loy.

Pretty good trigger guard bird here:

But then again maybe I do see it in a different spot than the guns Mr. Chambers posted.

This is a 16 gauge grade 4.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/12/12 07:20 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I have the Loy cartouche spotted then this is by Loy:

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What I like about the scratching on my 1917 Flues double: at the exit of some of those little channels in the scrolls there's a little nugget of steel that was left when the "chip" broke off. Could have been removed but wasn't. You feel it was left there by a chisel and . . . just left there. Light reflects from it; a little diamond of light. Maybe you arty boys never heard of "bravura" styles; probably never looked at N. C. Wyeth illustrations not done on a gun but definitely done under one. Something to be said for git er did and I've said it. What I like about Robt.: damn little but it's Dave's board and Dave's rules and Dave's exemptions and Dave's permissions and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
But nonetheless they represent the style of an era and are certainly valid expressions.

May be, but I'm not paying money for it...

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.